Which is the best phone for LineageOS 2017?

Search This thread

Klanac89

Sep 30, 2014
They also say "2 Android updates are safe" not like OnePlus

Gesendet von meinem MI MAX mit Tapatalk

MacGyver17

Jun 5, 2014
Jakarta
Asus ZenFone 3
Redmi K20 Pro
I also looking for "best phone" using lineage.

I was looking LG G6, but in my place (indonesia), they only sell the H870DS which is can't unlocked bootloader.

I think I will plan to buy the OP3 (or maybe OP3T) because that's the one that have a good hw + support lineage around my place.

kurtn

I also looking for "best phone" using lineage.

I was looking LG G6, but in my place (indonesia), they only sell the H870DS which is can't unlocked bootloader.

I think I will plan to buy the OP3 (or maybe OP3T) because that's the one that have a good hw + support lineage around my place.
Just ordered moto e 2015 LTE surnia. Up-to-date kernel patches and first Oreo builds.

hourwatch

Sep 28, 2014
Fairphone 2 may be a good option too. It comes with an unlocked bootloader and they offer Fairphone Open, an alternative, open source version of Fairphone OS, built by Fairphone, that comes stripped from proprietary applications . On top of that, there is an Official LineageOS ROM.

And, of course, this is a social phone which try to improve human and environmental conditions around smartphones world.

https://www.fairphone.com/es/2016/04/28/releasing-the-fairphone-2-open-operating-system-2/

stevea76

Apr 26, 2015
Rosslare
Well having broken my previous phone I am back to my Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505, that's right, S FOUR.

There is official Lineage support , and also an optimized Lineage15 alpha build.

Currently I am using an AOSP developer build of Android 8.1 on my 5 year old phone and it is still running perfectly!

Reactions: kurtn

Damoedge

Apr 23, 2010
Dublin 1
Xiaomi Poco F1
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new phone too, I'm coming from an Elephone P8000, great phone and powerful battery! But it's two years old so time to upgrade.
now the main thing I'm looking for is :
1. which Chinese phone has the most development here on xda? The most Roms, kernels, etc...
And will continue development for a year or two.

2. Preferably a phone that has : an audio jack, micro sd card slot, and a good battery, snapdragon or kirin, my budget would be up to 300.

Any thoughts or ideas will be welcome, thanks all, D.

kurtn

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new phone too, I'm coming from an Elephone P8000, great phone and powerful battery! But it's two years old so time to upgrade.
now the main thing I'm looking for is :
1. which Chinese phone has the most development here on xda? The most Roms, kernels, etc...
And will continue development for a year or two.

2. Preferably a phone that has : an audio jack, micro sd card slot, and a good battery, snapdragon or kirin, my budget would be up to 300.

Any thoughts or ideas will be welcome, thanks all, D.
Yes, P8000 seems to have no big custom ROM support. But even phones with bigger fan-base are often maintained by only one person. LineageOS support gets stopped, if this person retires. That happened to my xiaomi redmi 2. Chinese phone with biggest fan base is xiaomi RedMi Note 4 https://stats.lineageos.org/.

Damoedge

Apr 23, 2010
Dublin 1
Xiaomi Poco F1
Yes, P8000 seems to have no big custom ROM support. But even phones with bigger fan-base are often maintained by only one person. LineageOS support gets stopped, if this person retires. That happened to my xiaomi redmi 2. Chinese phone with biggest fan base is xiaomi RedMi Note 4 https://stats.lineageos.org/.

Thanks for your reply @kurtn.

I'm looking for something with the sd 821 that will last me for two years...is there any website that I can use to compare phone specs?

Thanks

Damoedge

Apr 23, 2010
Dublin 1
Xiaomi Poco F1
Why should a stronger processor last longer? The SD 200 is still alive.

I was meaning future proof....I have my mind set on the 821 so I would like to buy a phone that has great development community here on xda and hopefully it will be still as good 2 years from now as when first bought....the development for the P8000 lasted about 1.5 years so that was great....

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
And there is a good Lineage OS phone in recent Huawei/Honor or Xiaomi models?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9195 utilizzando Tapatalk

wizzardsk

Aug 16, 2013
Bratislava
I am also thinking about some newer phone for me in a near future, but it is quite complicated to find some better phone than my LG G3 dual.

All I need is: dual SIM, LineageOS support, good screen to body ratio (at least 75% or better than my G3), not much bigger than G3, not very expensive. I think that OnePlus 5T looks like the best option for now, just it is a little pricy...
I also like ZTE Nubia Z17s, just there is no LineageOS support for now...

Last edited:

BasilSkrnk

Oct 27, 2017
What do you guys think of LG Google Nexus 5? If one doesn’t need a nice camera, it may be a good phone to use.

+ Not so big (for some is a plus)
+ Good screen (1920 × 1080)
+ Nexus (=good for Devs, am I right here?)
+ Was very popular at the time (I had one, but sold, now having Nexus 6P and iPhone, thinking of buying the other Nexus 5, as it is cheap these days).
+ May have a very cheap price on a used market.

Does anyone uses it these days? I am very curious as I am going to buy one.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
What do you guys think of LG Google Nexus 5? If one doesn’t need a nice camera, it may be a good phone to use.

+ Not so big (for some is a plus)
+ Good screen (1920 × 1080)
+ Nexus (=good for Devs, am I right here?)
+ Was very popular at the time (I had one, but sold, now having Nexus 6P and iPhone, thinking of buying the other Nexus 5, as it is cheap these days).
+ May have a very cheap price on a used market.

Does anyone uses it these days? I am very curious as I am going to buy one.

I have my N5 and it's my very trustworthy backup phone. My N5x is a better phone, but they all have the potential for BL issues.

The N5 does have a decent camera btw. They have an ARM processor so have to go back a ways for the right version of google camera app to get good pics, but follow this thread and you'll see the diff HDR can make with that phone:

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75184686&postcount=26

Reactions: BasilSkrnk
Nov 16, 2014
I had very similar requirements when I was phone shopping this month. Here is what I found:

The device manufacturers with active ROM development and popular LineageOS support for their current devices are:
LG
Xiaomi
Motorola
Google (Nexus/Pixel)
Oneplus
ZTE
HTC

Missing from the list is Samsung (locked bootloader, very unfriendly to custom devs), Huawei (non Snapdragon, proprietary chips), and Sony (no idea why, lack of presence in the US, perhaps). Note: the international S7 does have Lineage support, but I personally wrote it off for the lack of USB C and my general dislike of Samsung.

Personally, I cannot recommend any LG phones prior to the G6/V20 due to bootloop issues that I personally experienced with my 5X. I am obsessed with the idea of owning a Xiaomi device, but their flagships rarely launch with US LTE bands. Motorola has been going in a direction I don't like, with bigger bezels and no headphone jacks. The Google Nexus and Pixel lines are definitely worth considering. The only Nexus worth anything is maybe the Nexus 6P, but it's much too big. I owned a Pixel, but found that it was too delicate (I hate cases) and the bezels bothered me. It was so expensive that I found myself treating it differently and I hated that. I'm a big fan of buying affordable phones and swapping them in and out as I see fit. Oneplus is a shady company, but their devices and dev support are GREAT. However, the screen size is out of your range. Same goes for ZTE.

For me, that left HTC and the HTC 10. 5.2" QHD, SD 820, USB C, durable build, large battery, expandable storage, wide LTE band support, capacitive home button/fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone when screen is off (love this) and a very active dev community.

I LOVE this phone, even more than my Pixel. 5.2" has been my favorite size since my LG G2 days. I'll definitely be hanging onto this for the next 12 months (which I've only ever done with my 5X, which then boot looped.)

Hope this helps!

Of course. Appreciate you taking the time give such a detailer answer.

Just adding my 2 cents. Do consider the Mi A1. The only 2 things i consider missing are NFC & AMOLED. But its a great phone overall. In between oreo first update had some issues but since google is responsible for updates they did get & really gets fixed very quickly.

Last edited:

Amirk365

Jul 20, 2016
Fort Wellington
Of course. Appreciate you taking the time give such a detailer answer.

Just adding my 2 cents. Do consider the Mi A1. The only 2 things i consider missing are NFC & AMOLED. But its a great phone overall. In between oreo first update had some issues but since google is responsible for updates it gets tixed very quickly.
This sources haven't been released yet.

Sent from my HUAWEI BLN-L24 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What would you recommend as a compact (around 5-5.1 inches) phone for LineageOS right now?
    The Galaxy S7 doesn't seem like a bad option, it has a 5.1 display, very good specs and LineageOS 14.1 official...

I had very similar requirements when I was phone shopping this month. Here is what I found:

The device manufacturers with active ROM development and popular LineageOS support for their current devices are:
    LG
    Xiaomi
    Motorola
    Google (Nexus/Pixel)
    Oneplus
    ZTE
    HTC

Missing from the list is Samsung (locked bootloader, very unfriendly to custom devs), Huawei (non Snapdragon, proprietary chips), and Sony (no idea why, lack of presence in the US, perhaps). Note: the international S7 does have Lineage support, but I personally wrote it off for the lack of USB C and my general dislike of Samsung.

Personally, I cannot recommend any LG phones prior to the G6/V20 due to bootloop issues that I personally experienced with my 5X. I am obsessed with the idea of owning a Xiaomi device, but their flagships rarely launch with US LTE bands. Motorola has been going in a direction I don't like, with bigger bezels and no headphone jacks. The Google Nexus and Pixel lines are definitely worth considering. The only Nexus worth anything is maybe the Nexus 6P, but it's much too big. I owned a Pixel, but found that it was too delicate (I hate cases) and the bezels bothered me. It was so expensive that I found myself treating it differently and I hated that. I'm a big fan of buying affordable phones and swapping them in and out as I see fit. Oneplus is a shady company, but their devices and dev support are GREAT. However, the screen size is out of your range. Same goes for ZTE.

For me, that left HTC and the HTC 10. 5.2" QHD, SD 820, USB C, durable build, large battery, expandable storage, wide LTE band support, capacitive home button/fingerprint scanner that unlocks the phone when screen is off (love this) and a very active dev community.

I LOVE this phone, even more than my Pixel. 5.2" has been my favorite size since my LG G2 days. I'll definitely be hanging onto this for the next 12 months (which I've only ever done with my 5X, which then boot looped.)

Hope this helps!
    Nexus is dead, Pixel is nothing (just a Nexus with iPhone price) and Samsung is dead (Exynos/Knox/kernel source), so what is the best phone for LineageOS? I really don't like OnePlus anymore, because for the same price I get a S7 Edge with VR, warrenty and local support (Samsung service point). Car charger for 30 bucks, dash charger, dash cable... f... that!

For now I got a Mi Max Prime (64GB version) and a Mi5s Plus which is just like a 100$ phone compare to firmware support for a highend device (buggy firmware, no real updates, no Xiaomi support (flop)). Don't get me wrong, the hardware is genius (dualsim, 128GB, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 821, 3800 mAh, QC and for under 400€ with import and shipping) but it feels like the first CM alpha builds from a S3 with Exynos :/

So I need to switch... I looking for a new powerful device with great ROM support, like OnePlus. The battery (SOT) is on the first position, after LineageOS support.

What you think? Switch to the old Nexus 6p, buy a OnePlus 3T (it is the last option for me) or maybe a other phone? A brand new S7 Edge I can get for 400 bucks, a Mi Note 2 for 550 but I really don't care anymore... good battery and official LineageOS is what I need for the future.

I hope you guys can help me.

Regards
    What about the Asus Zenfone 3? So far that's the best hardware I've seen for the lowest price. The software is the only thing I don't like about them so much but so far it beats all the other overpriced iPhone comletitors

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

But no LineageOS or CM, like the OP asked
    I'm no developer and don't plan to be, but, how does a phone enters development support for CM and now LeanegeOS?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If a dev like this phone or using this phone now, he'll build it
    Well having broken my previous phone I am back to my Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505, that's right, S FOUR.

There is official Lineage support , and also an optimized Lineage15 alpha build.

Currently I am using an AOSP developer build of Android 8.1 on my 5 year old phone and it is still running perfectly!
    I've got three Galaxy S5 in the family all running LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) and still getting updated once a week. It runs really well and is the best of many Custom ROMs I've tried for this device. However, the (very) few hiccups include:
    1. VoLTE and Wifi Calling don't work (and unlikely ever to work on these older Samsung devices with Custom ROMs) so ALL mobile calls mobile calls must use the 3G connection. Aslo, with Lineage it probably won't ever work. In many countries this will become increasingly a problem as the 3G service is shut down to free up resources for 4G and 5G.

2. While Android 11's in-built SIP does work excellently over both Wifi and 4G, there are two configuration settings which revert to default after every restart:
      - "Make Calls with">"Ask first" reverts to the GSM SIM, and
      - "Caller ID">"Hide Number".
    Having tried Lineage 17 and Lineage 18 on the Galaxy S5 I can recommend this device except if your 3G service has been already been shut down or soon will be. Used S5's are very cheap these days e.g. including international postage costing less than $US 50 on eBay to where I live.