Which kernels work on Lineageos?

Search This thread

lightningglasses

Jul 27, 2016
Which kernels work on Lineageos? I'm interested in flashing vegito but I'm unclear if it works? It says to flash over only stock kernel, which lineageos doesn't have, but would it work if I flash stock kernel of lineageos first, then flash vegito?

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Which kernels work on Lineageos? I'm interested in flashing vegito but I'm unclear if it works? It says to flash over only stock kernel, which lineageos doesn't have, but would it work if I flash stock kernel of lineageos first, then flash vegito?

ElementalX, vegito and quark kernels should work on Lineage OS without issue (though still check their respective pages!)

By flashing only over the stock kernel, the instructions usually mean only flash over the kernel that originally came with the ROM. I imagine it's a bit confusing given the Motorola ROM kernel is also regarded as the stock kernel, but in this case, the 'stock kernel' refers to whatever kernel the ROM you flashed came with. :) (As an aside, don't try to flash the Motorola kernels on custom ROMs...)

Lineage OS, as with other custom and stock (Motorola) ROMs come with their own kernel included, which you replace when you flash the custom kernel. A reason for requiring that you flash over the stock (originally coming with the ROM you've flashed) kernel only appears to be because custom kernels modify the ram disk of the kernel, which other custom kernels will be incompatible with and may lead to random issues. The stock (in this case, the original ROM kernel) is clean and has no modified ram disk, so should be stable, and thus suitable for flashing a custom kernel.

If you have the original Lineage OS kernel already, then you can flash vegito in TWRP. I'd recommend taking a TWRP backup of your system and of your boot partition before flashing. The boot partition should contain your kernel as it was, so if it's clean, you can revert back from vegito by flashing the boot partition backup. And the system backup is just in case anything happens!

Alternatively, a dirty flash of your current Lineage OS build may flash an original kernel if you don't have one already.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ElementalX, vegito and quark kernels should work on Lineage OS without issue (though still check their respective pages!)

By flashing only over the stock kernel, the instructions usually mean only flash over the kernel that originally came with the ROM. I imagine it's a bit confusing given the Motorola ROM kernel is also regarded as the stock kernel, but in this case, the 'stock kernel' refers to whatever kernel the ROM you flashed came with. :) (As an aside, don't try to flash the Motorola kernels on custom ROMs...)

Lineage OS, as with other custom and stock (Motorola) ROMs come with their own kernel included, which you replace when you flash the custom kernel. A reason for requiring that you flash over the stock (originally coming with the ROM you've flashed) kernel only appears to be because custom kernels modify the ram disk of the kernel, which other custom kernels will be incompatible with and may lead to random issues. The stock (in this case, the original ROM kernel) is clean and has no modified ram disk, so should be stable, and thus suitable for flashing a custom kernel.

If you have the original Lineage OS kernel already, then you can flash vegito in TWRP. I'd recommend taking a TWRP backup of your system and of your boot partition before flashing. The boot partition should contain your kernel as it was, so if it's clean, you can revert back from vegito by flashing the boot partition backup. And the system backup is just in case anything happens!

Alternatively, a dirty flash of your current Lineage OS build may flash an original kernel if you don't have one already.