Which model is the easiest bootloader unlock and candidate for Lineage OS?

Search This thread

Gorilla Daddy

Aug 6, 2018
I've seen the US996 official unlock, but I want to know if anyone of these are preferable since they are easiest to find second-hand:

T-Mobile
AT&T
Verizon

Thanks in advance.

Phoenix591

Oct 15, 2017
I've seen the US996 official unlock, but I want to know if anyone of these are preferable since they are easiest to find second-hand:

T-Mobile
AT&T
Verizon

Thanks in advance.

T-mobile process (technical version and skips some details). Same process, but reworded and simplified (and includes ALL the details).

T-mobile (and the factory unlocked US996) let's you actually unlock the bootloader so it takes a bit less time to boot (the other models sit longer at a bootloader locked warning, but they use an engineering bootloader that eventually continues booting)

The ATT is a pain to root too, because there are no firmware files available for it thanks to ATT deciding to use a different OTA format. It's process involves crossflashing then flashing back some att firmware.

(you didn't ask but) Sprint's is unrootable. (if it's taken an OTA anytime in the past 2.5 YEARS or so, so basically 95% of them) (thank Sprint for doing such a great job locking it down! Wouldn't want people extending the useful life of their phones!)

The rest all involve using the LG UP program mentioned and linked in those other guides above in upgrade mode to downgrade to a firmware released in January 2017 or earlier (it needs to have the December 2016 android security patch or earlier) and do an exploit to install an engineering bootloader.

The Verizon model uses the above process but the vibration motor will run continuously when booting until a custom kernel is installed iirc

The international model (H990) uses the above process with a few minor tweaks to get it working

Reactions: Gorilla Daddy

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
The Verizon and AT&T can be flashed with us996-usa KDZ and then rooted using dirtysanta. This gets rid of verizon vibrate on boot issue and bloatware on both. And AT&T network restrictions.

Sent from my LGE LG-US996 using XDA Labs

Gorilla Daddy

Aug 6, 2018
The Verizon and AT&T can be flashed with us996-usa KDZ and then rooted using dirtysanta. This gets rid of verizon vibrate on boot issue and bloatware on both. And AT&T network restrictions.

Thanks. Does that mean that a network SIM locked AT&T or Verizon model gets SIM unlocked when we flash us996-usa KDZ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my LGE LG-US996 using XDA Labs

T-Mobile
    AT&T
    Verizon

Thanks in advance.

T-mobile process (technical version and skips some details). Same process, but reworded and simplified (and includes ALL the details).

T-mobile (and the factory unlocked US996) let's you actually unlock the bootloader so it takes a bit less time to boot (the other models sit longer at a bootloader locked warning, but they use an engineering bootloader that eventually continues booting)

The ATT is a pain to root too, because there are no firmware files available for it thanks to ATT deciding to use a different OTA format. It's process involves crossflashing then flashing back some att firmware.

(you didn't ask but) Sprint's is unrootable. (if it's taken an OTA anytime in the past 2.5 YEARS or so, so basically 95% of them) (thank Sprint for doing such a great job locking it down! Wouldn't want people extending the useful life of their phones!)

The rest all involve using the LG UP program mentioned and linked in those other guides above in upgrade mode to downgrade to a firmware released in January 2017 or earlier (it needs to have the December 2016 android security patch or earlier) and do an exploit to install an engineering bootloader.

The Verizon model uses the above process but the vibration motor will run continuously when booting until a custom kernel is installed iirc

The international model (H990) uses the above process with a few minor tweaks to get it working