Which ROM to choose if I liked LineageOS?

Search This thread

teddy64000

May 30, 2017
pau
www.nfc-smartags.com
with DERPFEST you can install our own certificate wifi,
Screenshot_20210221-235538_Lanceur_d'applications_Pixel.png

pnin

That option is in Wi-Fi preferences >> Advanced >> Install certificates, so was it not working?

Exactly. But try as I might, it just would not connect. No trouble whatsoever with the home connection (or Xiaomi.eu, for that matter).

That and access to the stock camera tipped the scale to getting back to MIUI* for me and for the time being...

*) Rooted, debloated, and customized; e.g., current launcher is Trebuchet (v8.1.0.22).

Last edited:

Yuraqua

Dec 12, 2020
Article at the link above might be enlightening for some. However, it is misleading. As far as I know, LineageOS reports to Google only if GoogleApps are installed. However, by default GApps are not installed. AFAIK LineageOS only performs time synchronization with Google's NTP servers. However, I've read in other resources that LineageOS goes to Google servers. And I'm going to check it by myself using PCAPdroid (No-root network monitor and traffic dump tool for Android devices).

Personally, I prefer to use LineageOS for microG now, once LineageOS officially supports POCO X3 NFC.

The article in question is composed in a manner that makes reader to believe that /e/ is safer in data security sense than LineageOS. This is very debatable notion.

Here is how /e/ dissuades me from using it:
  • /e/ doesn't promote FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software). It states that convenience must take precedence over security. This is devil's joke. It always leads down surveillance path. See Ubuntu case which, AFAIK, still sells your data (even local searches) to Amazon and others. Still, because they told us they stopped doing that several years ago.
  • /e/ contains propriatory software in it's distribution. Why? According to their statement, it is convenient. Of course, it reports back home only necessary data and no user-sensitive data is sent. And you have to believe them, because code is closed and you can't verify their claim.
  • /e/ promotes their cloud service to store all your e-mails, calendars, files, etc. Just like Google or Microsoft. Potentially this enables them to better profile you and spy on you.
  • /e/'s new trademark is Murena. According to naturalists, murena is poisonous, devious, unpredictable predatory fish.

Reactions: pnin and Vega56

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cool. Please report your findings if you will. (y)
    You have asked about my findings concerning ArrowOS + microG in the TWRP thread, but my reply is better suited here.

So ArrowOS 11 + microG is a really nice fit. The installation is straight forward:
    1. Installed latest OrangeFox + ArrowOS 11 + Magisk Stable.
    2. Installed latest AuroraDroid Nightly.
    3. Enabled microG repo in AuroraDroid.
    4. Installed the microG components (Services Core + Services Framework Proxy + FakeStore) and Deja Vu + Local GSM Location + Nominatim UnifiedNlp backends.
    5. Enabled everything in microG Self-Check.
    The catch is that it's not working properly when trying to install microG using the "microG Installer Revived" Magisk module because that way it's not possible to grant two of the required permissions ("access location in the background" and "receive text messages (SMS)"). I have opened an issue on GitHub for that.

But I don't see the benefit of using that Magisk module anyway as this can easily be handled using F-Droid with the F-Droid Privileged Extension or AuroraDoid.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with this ArrowOS setup so far and if things are going well, I am going to keep it instead of waiting for LOS for microG.

I have been a long-time LOS for microG user and always thought it's just the most convenient way, but the experience with ArrowOS has been an eye opener so far.

Official LOS is always lagging behind with device support and the Android version it is based on, so at this point I can really recommend ArrowOS as a viable and up-to-date alternative!

Post updated on 18th March 2021.
    ArrowOS (Android 11) + F1xy kernel

You need to flash latest MIUI before flashing ArrowOS. You can download latest xiaomi.eu ROM and than flash ArrowOS to make it easier. Current latest MIUI version is 12.0.7 for surya & 12.0.8 for karna. You will have vanilla or gapps ArrowOS. Choose Gapps build. Install Magisk in TWRP after flashing ArrowOS & kernel. SafetyNet passes out of the box. seLinux is enforcing. Signature spoofing is supported.

So this are the steps for installing ArrowOS + F1xy kernel:
    0. Unlock bootloader
    1. Flash latest TWRP/OrangeFox recovery with fastboot command: fastboot flash recovery name-of-recovery.img
    2. Be sure that you're on latest MIUI version (MIUI 12.0.7 for surya, 12.0.8 for karna)
    2a. If you're not on MIUI but on custom ROM at the moment, you need to flash latest xiaomi.eu ROM (12.0.7 at the moment) with TWRP/OrangeFox than Format Data, Wipe Cache & Dalvik Cache
    3. After you booted xiaomi.eu, reboot to TWRP/OrangeFox, Flash all this packages in order:
    - ArrowOS
    - F1xy custom kernel
    - Magisk
    4. Format Data, Wipe Cache & Dalvik Cache
    5. Reboot.

Now you're on ArrowOS.

BTW, I prefer Aqua Mail to K9 Mail as it's much better optimized & has amazing features.
    Article at the link above might be enlightening for some. However, it is misleading. As far as I know, LineageOS reports to Google only if GoogleApps are installed. However, by default GApps are not installed. AFAIK LineageOS only performs time synchronization with Google's NTP servers. However, I've read in other resources that LineageOS goes to Google servers. And I'm going to check it by myself using PCAPdroid (No-root network monitor and traffic dump tool for Android devices).

Personally, I prefer to use LineageOS for microG now, once LineageOS officially supports POCO X3 NFC.

The article in question is composed in a manner that makes reader to believe that /e/ is safer in data security sense than LineageOS. This is very debatable notion.

Here is how /e/ dissuades me from using it:
    • /e/ doesn't promote FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software). It states that convenience must take precedence over security. This is devil's joke. It always leads down surveillance path. See Ubuntu case which, AFAIK, still sells your data (even local searches) to Amazon and others. Still, because they told us they stopped doing that several years ago.
    • /e/ contains propriatory software in it's distribution. Why? According to their statement, it is convenient. Of course, it reports back home only necessary data and no user-sensitive data is sent. And you have to believe them, because code is closed and you can't verify their claim.
    • /e/ promotes their cloud service to store all your e-mails, calendars, files, etc. Just like Google or Microsoft. Potentially this enables them to better profile you and spy on you.
    • /e/'s new trademark is Murena. According to naturalists, murena is poisonous, devious, unpredictable predatory fish.
    Thanks, @SkaboXD. Kind of. I specifically mentioned I want to avoid proprietary GApps. And assessing programs list one could tell that I prefer Free (as in Freedom) and OpenSource programs.
    Also, I have very serious privacy and safety concerns installing custom kernel. I trust AOSP much more.

Than install Vanilla build of ArrowOS instead and flash Gapps you want (OpenGapps, NikGapps or FlameGapps...) and don't install F1xy kernel. You will miss on useful features & increased performance with good battery life though. And if you're concerned about privacy, why are you using Gapps in the first place?
    If you're into privacy I *really* can recommend FairEmail ... you can also get releases from Github: https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail