Which ROM, which TWRP, which Magisk?

Search This thread

prairie-dad

Aug 12, 2012
Moto G5S Plus
I've used my "sanders" for 40 months, all on stock. Now, just for fun, I'd like to root it. I haven't done this in six or seven years, but I know the drill. Question is: which version of TWRP, of Magisk, and above all, which ROM should I flash? Is there a decent 11, or should I stick to 10? Lineage, or is there a reasonable alternative? Dunno how many folks are still using this device, but thanks for any suggestions!

Right now I have, downloaded and ready to go:
twrp-installer-3.5.2_9-0-sanders
Magisk-v22-0

and one ROM

EvolutionX_5.6_sanders-11-20210408-0314-OFFICIAL

G5S plus (sanders) does not show up on the LineageOS website that I can find...what are some other options?

thanks!

Arcano13

Jul 17, 2019
Moto G5S Plus
I've used my "sanders" for 40 months, all on stock. Now, just for fun, I'd like to root it. I haven't done this in six or seven years, but I know the drill. Question is: which version of TWRP, of Magisk, and above all, which ROM should I flash? Is there a decent 11, or should I stick to 10? Lineage, or is there a reasonable alternative? Dunno how many folks are still using this device, but thanks for any suggestions!

Magisk-v22-0

and one ROM

G5S plus (sanders) does not show up on the LineageOS website that I can find...what are some other options?

thanks!

My situation was almost identically to yours.. +3 years of stock use, and havent done fash/root almost for 8 years, know the drill but from the ages Lineage was called Cyanogenmod!....
Idk why lineage does support G5 and G5plus but no G5s (sanders)...

I just did the whole thing like 3 weeks ago...

1st step unlock bootloader via Motorola site

then i downloaded:
-TWRP (twrp-3.5.1_9-0-sanders.img)
-Magisk V22
-Lineage unofficial 17.1 (lineage-17.1-20210210-UNOFFICIAL-sanders) [i just read that LOS 18.1 was released last week, and im thinking to migrate]
-Open Gapps Pico (open_gapps-arm64-10.0-pico-20210314) [I choose pico bc lightweight and you always can download other google apps form playstore, i.e. google play games, etc.]
-Bootlogo (because unlocking bootloader changes logo to warranty warning), just search something without "N/A", i found one that i like of a lighthouse at night (V5.0DT_BL_9-3_by_4)

2nd step flash twrp via fastboot/adb
then boot from recovery (twrp) and erase/format everything (/cache,/dalvik,/system,/data, etc)
after that install from twrp (via sdcard) Lineage+gapps+logo+magisk)

boot!

it works pretty awesome with really minor glitches (in 3 weeks crashed 2 times, but maybe my fault, so not really sure...) and with full support of all device functionality (all antennas, sensors, moto actions, etc..).
The only thing that i dont like so much is that fingerprint sensor gestures for navigation works perfectly but activating it dont removes the touch navigation buttons, and from menu you cant hide it and use gesture navigation in the bottom of screen (like android 10/11) but you cant (or almost i cant find it how) turn off touchscreen navigation for using only FP nav..

I hope this pseudo-guide helps you!

PS. I cant add links bc new account, but i did everything using this Xda subforum (sanders) guides and download links...

Reactions: prairie-dad

prairie-dad

Aug 12, 2012
Moto G5S Plus
My situation was almost identically to yours.. +3 years of stock use, and havent done fash/root almost for 8 years, know the drill but from the ages Lineage was called Cyanogenmod!....

then i downloaded:
-Magisk V22
-Lineage unofficial 17.1 (lineage-17.1-20210210-UNOFFICIAL-sanders) [i just read that LOS 18.1 was released last week, and im thinking to migrate]
-Open Gapps Pico (open_gapps-arm64-10.0-pico-20210314) [I choose pico bc lightweight and you always can download other google apps form playstore, i.e. google play games, etc.]
-Bootlogo (because unlocking bootloader changes logo to warranty warning), just search something without "N/A", i found one that i like of a lighthouse at night (V5.0DT_BL_9-3_by_4)

then boot from recovery (twrp) and erase/format everything (/cache,/dalvik,/system,/data, etc)

boot!

it works pretty awesome with really minor glitches (in 3 weeks crashed 2 times, but maybe my fault, so not really sure...) and with full support of all device functionality (all antennas, sensors, moto actions, etc..).
The only thing that i dont like so much is that fingerprint sensor gestures for navigation works perfectly but activating it dont removes the touch navigation buttons, and from menu you cant hide it and use gesture navigation in the bottom of screen (like android 10/11) but you cant (or almost i cant find it how) turn off touchscreen navigation for using only FP nav..

PS. I cant add links bc new account, but i did everything using this Xda subforum (sanders) guides and download links...
Many thanks! I hope to get to this in the next few days and will post. Do let me know if you upgrade to Lineage 18.1 and how it goes. And yeah, I remember when it was CM, too, that's what I used! Regards

sahil12345678

• Jul 9, 2015

then i downloaded:
    -Magisk V22

boot!

i installed Legion OS Android 11 but my GPS isnt working, any ideas you can offer?

Arcano13

Jul 17, 2019
    Moto G5S Plus
    i installed Legion OS Android 11 but my GPS isnt working, any ideas you can offer?
    I started having GPS problems ~3 yeas ago (STOCK phone)* and searching on lenovo support forums i find that is a somewhat common issue (maybe factory problem) that does not affect all devices.

The symptoms are that i.e. during navigation GPS works fine, and suddenly lost gps signal, it can last minutes, hours or days, and then come back like nothing happened and continues working normally.
    Apparently this has to do with some antenna failure/bad connection/idk.
    The "solution" is to bang (not super hard tho) the phone in a flat surface, like on the table, or what i always do is hit it against the steering wheel of the car, and every time work like magic and the gps signal comes back instantly.
    I know this may sound strange, but for me works...

*Last month using custom ROM the problem persisted and also the solution, so im pretty confident that is a hardware issue..

PS: after searching a little found the links of the above mentioned threads:
    Reddit thread
    Lenovo Forum support trhead

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I started having GPS problems ~3 yeas ago (STOCK phone)* and searching on lenovo support forums i find that is a somewhat common issue (maybe factory problem) that does not affect all devices.

The symptoms are that i.e. during navigation GPS works fine, and suddenly lost gps signal, it can last minutes, hours or days, and then come back like nothing happened and continues working normally.
      Apparently this has to do with some antenna failure/bad connection/idk.
      The "solution" is to bang (not super hard tho) the phone in a flat surface, like on the table, or what i always do is hit it against the steering wheel of the car, and every time work like magic and the gps signal comes back instantly.
      I know this may sound strange, but for me works...

*Last month using custom ROM the problem persisted and also the solution, so im pretty confident that is a hardware issue..

PS: after searching a little found the links of the above mentioned threads:
      Reddit thread
      Lenovo Forum support trhead

Magisk-v22-0

and one ROM

thanks!

then i downloaded:
      -Magisk V22

boot!