• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Which test points to short to flash locked device?

Search This thread

feklee

Aug 10, 2018
On the board I see six test points. The question is if any of these can be shorted to be able to get the device in a mode where it can be flashed despite being OEM locked.

Last edited:

feklee

Aug 10, 2018
OK, so the test points are below the fingerprint flex cable connector:

2018-08-14+02_test_points.jpg

Here’s roughly how I proceeded:
  • Made sure that I’m grounded by touching a grounded metal piece in my apartment.
  • Removed the SIM tray.
  • Opened the device according to the instructions by Wit Rigs (youtu.be/1VIdpuXSFmI). Separating the top with the screen was quite hard as it is glued.
  • Popped out the battery flex cable connector, then the fingerprint flex cable connector.
  • On my laptop (Windows 7 X64) started MiFlash 2016.08.30.0, downloaded from en.miui.com/thread-345974-1-1.html.
  • Inserted the USB-C cable that came with the phone into the phone. (not yet into the laptop!)
  • Using a bent and cut staple, I connected the test points, then inserted the USB-C cable into my laptop.
  • Windows reported that a new device is connected.
  • Removed the staple, clicked refresh in MiFlash: A device showed up.
  • Flashed the latest official stock Android One ROM V9.6.10.0, downloaded from en.miui.com/download-353.html:
    2018-08-13+02_success.png
    Initially I got a message that MiFlash cannot receive a “Hello” packet. It turned out that I was too slow. After connecting the device, one only has limited the time to start the flashing. I read elsewhere that it’s 15 seconds.
  • Success, my A2 boots up again! Now I’m only waiting for thermal paste to arrive in the mail, I will apply that, then close the phone again.

Last edited:

mauley

Please stop opening new threads for the same issue.

I think this is the third one I have seen now. I'm sure someone will be able to help you but with the phone being as new as it is you may have to wait or figure it out for yourself. I have the phone but have not tried root yet because it's too early in the phones life to be messing around with it. Let the community grow first.

I do hope you made to get it solved though and if so you could document it so we can all learn from it in the future :)

feklee

Aug 10, 2018

zemariolac

Sep 14, 2018
Belo Horizonte

View attachment 4571595

• Made sure that I’m grounded by touching a grounded metal piece in my apartment.
  • Removed the SIM tray.
  • Opened the device according to the instructions by Wit Rigs (youtu.be/1VIdpuXSFmI). Separating the top with the screen was quite hard as it is glued.
  • Popped out the battery flex cable connector, then the fingerprint flex cable connector.
  • On my laptop (Windows 7 X64) started MiFlash 2016.08.30.0, downloaded from en.miui.com/thread-345974-1-1.html.
  • Inserted the USB-C cable that came with the phone into the phone. (not yet into the laptop!)
  • Using a bent and cut staple, I connected the test points, then inserted the USB-C cable into my laptop.
  • Flashed the latest official stock Android One ROM V9.6.10.0, downloaded from en.miui.com/download-353.html:
    View attachment 4571596
    Initially I got a message that MiFlash cannot receive a “Hello” packet. It turned out that I was too slow. After connecting the device, one only has limited the time to start the flashing. I read elsewhere that it’s 15 seconds.
  • Success, my A2 boots up again! Now I’m only waiting for thermal paste to arrive in the mail, I will apply that, then close the phone again.
I bought a Mi A2 and tried to put android pie on it, but I failed successfully. I'm gonna try this endpoint method, cause I cant flash images with fastboot.
Unfortunately I can only try this on Monday, cause I don't have the tools, but a friend in college has. I wanna know a few stuff for the grand day:
You told that the device is glued. Is it really hard to open it? and do i need to glue it back?

In the endpoint method, I need to manage to connect the two points with a metal tool, right? And i'll do the process with the battery disconnected, correct?

You wouldn't believe it, but this is my first android and I had it working for less than an hour. I have always being an apple user, but my devices were always jailbroken. I thought that with android things would go easy, but I ****ed them up hahah
As I saw you posted somewhere else, I always like to push my devices to the limit and thats why I am a computer science student...

thanks a lot anyway, and wish me luck on Monday!! Hope I can do it...

feklee

Aug 10, 2018
You told that the device is glued. Is it really hard to open it?

I used an X-ACTO knives (careful!), and yes it was somewhat hard to open.

and do i need to glue it back?

The A2 is glued with double sided tape going along all the edges. I removed that tape, then applied pieces of double sided tape (red TESA) in select locations. Applying double sided tape along all the edges should be practically impossible to do manually. Notes:
  • The original tape provides a certain level of water protection. So I’m not sure that it was a good idea to remove it. Between the pieces of tape that I applied there now are gaps, which however are not visible from the outside.
  • The device can be put together without tape at all, and the screen keeps attached to the body. What happens without tape in situations of stress, I don’t know.
So far everything has been working out fine for me, and my A2 already survived a couple of crashes (don’t use the ugly case).

In the endpoint method, I need to manage to connect the two points with a metal tool, right?
Yes. Note that after shorting the contacts, you have limited time to start the flashing. I think it was 40 seconds.

And i'll do the process with the battery disconnected, correct?
Yes that’s the recommended method. It also allows you to quickly reset the device, i.e. by unplugging the USB cable.

I always like to push my devices to the limit
Same for me! Along the way I learned more than I wanted to. It’s interesting to see the device opened with all its components, removes a bit of the magic.

Anyhow, good luck!

Reactions: zemariolac

zemariolac

Sep 14, 2018
Belo Horizonte
Typing from my unbricked MI A2!

Thank you for the post. Everything went well. It only took me more time than it needed cause i was trying to flash the comrpessed ROM (yes, I really did it). After that everything worked fine. Remind on your post for noobs like me that you need to extract the file before flashing it!

papavegan

Dec 9, 2018
Hello

I just try the method but me it does not happen anything if I disconnect the battery I tried with several usb cable on several computers on several USB port and it is not strictly nothing

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2018-08-14+02_test_points.jpg

• Removed the SIM tray.
      2018-08-13+02_success.png
    You told that the device is glued. Is it really hard to open it?

I used an X-ACTO knives (careful!), and yes it was somewhat hard to open.

and do i need to glue it back?

The A2 is glued with double sided tape going along all the edges. I removed that tape, then applied pieces of double sided tape (red TESA) in select locations. Applying double sided tape along all the edges should be practically impossible to do manually. Notes:
    • The original tape provides a certain level of water protection. So I’m not sure that it was a good idea to remove it. Between the pieces of tape that I applied there now are gaps, which however are not visible from the outside.
    • The device can be put together without tape at all, and the screen keeps attached to the body. What happens without tape in situations of stress, I don’t know.
    So far everything has been working out fine for me, and my A2 already survived a couple of crashes (don’t use the ugly case).

In the endpoint method, I need to manage to connect the two points with a metal tool, right?
    Yes. Note that after shorting the contacts, you have limited time to start the flashing. I think it was 40 seconds.

And i'll do the process with the battery disconnected, correct?
    Yes that’s the recommended method. It also allows you to quickly reset the device, i.e. by unplugging the USB cable.

I always like to push my devices to the limit
    Same for me! Along the way I learned more than I wanted to. It’s interesting to see the device opened with all its components, removes a bit of the magic.

Anyhow, good luck!