Which unit is actually problem free?

Search This thread

waltervos

Mar 8, 2010
Hi forum,

I'm looking for a head unit to replace the stock unit in my Mazda 6 2008. There's plenty of choice when it comes to Android head units, and they're usually very complete and affordable. Reading around the forums here though, it looks like pretty much all these units have issues.

My intended use is quite simple: Use Android Auto to control Spotify and Waze, and maaaaybe connect a reversing camera. I don't want to use my phone as a hotspot, to avoid unnecessary data usage (I often download my Spotify playlists on WiFi to use in the car).

My question is this: Am I better off with an Android head unit, or with a JVC/Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony unit that supports Android Auto?

invertgoat

Sep 15, 2013
Every time I visit this forum I see a question like this. Why the mods haven't stickied it god only knows.

Answer is NO. They're all jinxed. My Atoto S8 Standard had software glitches (can't swipe status bar down until reset) bluetooth doesn't connect on hot days, and it draws too much power when in standby killing my battery and replacing it wasn't cheap.

I'm down the cost of the head unit and a new vehicle battery + fitting.

waltervos

Mar 8, 2010
Every time I visit this forum I see a question like this. Why the mods haven't stickied it god only knows.

Answer is NO. They're all jinxed. My Atoto S8 Standard had software glitches (can't swipe status bar down until reset) bluetooth doesn't connect on hot days, and it draws too much power when in standby killing my battery and replacing it wasn't cheap.

Thanks for your reply, I think I'll pass on an Android head unit for now :). It's overkill for my requirements anyway.

ludditefornow

Nov 29, 2017

And you came to that conclusion with a sample size of 1 by the sounds of it. Is it a modern unit or is it a relic running cheaper low end chipsets for bluetooth/wifi with minimal ram?

I'm in 30+ degree days with massive humidity and have had no issue with bluetooth connection for albeit a short period of time.

The drain is real and if wired correctly is based on two settings about whether to put the unit to sleep and if there is a delay before shut off.

These units aren't plug and play as some expect and take a bit to understand but to collectively assume they are all buggy seems like an unfair assessment.

I will reserve judgement especially on the newer 720 screen Android 10 versions until there is a fair bit more feedback.

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
These units aren't plug and play as some expect and take a bit to understand but to collectively assume they are all buggy seems like an unfair assessment.

I will reserve judgement especially on the newer 720 screen Android 10 versions until there is a fair bit more feedback.
No. They are ALL buggy, and that includes the 720/android 10 which I have. I just keep buying them because they do have certain advantages over the traditional head units. If those advantages aren't a concern then you are much better off with a kenwood/pioneer/alpine.....

ludditefornow

Nov 29, 2017
Care to define these bugs?.

I'm yet to find an OS that is bug free. When I referred to "all buggy" I was relating to bugs that make things unusable as was suggested by the poster I quoted.

There can be bugs and still the OS can be thoroughly useable and offer a great day to day experience.

I went down this route because mainstream units simply lacked functions. The deal breaker for me was that the only Android phone brand that they would would confirm to work with their units was Samsung.

When my android head unit has the settings working correctly, the parasitic draw on the car's battery is well within tolerance. So for people to use battery drain as a blanket example of bugs is clearly misleading.

Last edited:
Reactions: danycmoi

lemnad

Mar 9, 2011
Bang for the buck the Xtrons PX6 units. I have bought at least 3 different variations and installed HAL9K's software on them. The software they came with seemed solid when I used it and I had no issues outside of it wiping my Google contacts which was an easy fix. I have purchased Joying, Dasaita, Xtrons, Atoto, Eonon and a whole host of other off brands etc. The Xtrons PX6 10.1 seems to be the leader for price/performance and what it offers. They have a version with DSP as well. I currently am using the latest 10.1 Joying single din but haven't used it long enough to see if there are any inherent problems. The name brands, Kenwood, Pioneer etc I have used over the years all have bugs and quirks as well. Just my 2 cents YMMV.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Care to define these bugs?.

I'm yet to find an OS that is bug free. When I referred to "all buggy" I was relating to bugs that make things unusable as was suggested by the poster I quoted.

There can be bugs and still the OS can be thoroughly useable and offer a great day to day experience.

I went down this route because mainstream units simply lacked functions. The deal breaker for me was that the only Android phone brand that they would would confirm to work with their units was Samsung.

When my android head unit has the settings working correctly, the parasitic draw on the car's battery is well within tolerance. So for people to use battery drain as a blanket example of bugs is clearly misleading.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone