Question Which variants of the Pixel 6 (Not pro) are bootloader unlockable?

Search This thread
According to this page in the help center, there are 3 variants of the Pixel 6 (Not the pro)
Understand 5G network compatibility & roaming on Pixel phones

GB7N6 (AU, CA, DE, FR, GB, IE, TW, and US - Unlocked, Google Fi & T-Mobile)Sub-6
G9S9B (US, AT&T & Verizon only)mmWave & Sub-6
GR1YH (JP)Sub-6

1641233744984.png

Now I'm going to buy in a country where Pixels are not officially sold, and I am not certain which variant they are going to bring in. So I need to know beforehand what I'm getting into. I have three questions.

1. Which of these are ok to go for bootloader unlocks, rooting etc? Specifically, is the Japanese one Unlockable?
  2. Is this number written on the box anywhere? If so where? How can I check before buying?
  3. Can I somehow change between the variants in any way?
I won't claim that I have thoroughly researched this topic, but it seems like this information isn't readily available. I see a lot of "probably"s and "likely"s but not many definite answers.

Also if you're already here and do know, might as well answer the same questions for pro as well.

Last edited:

Whoareyou

According to this page in the help center, there are 3 variants of the Pixel 6 (Not the pro)

GB7N6 (AU, CA, DE, FR, GB, IE, TW, and US - Unlocked, Google Fi & T-Mobile)Sub-6
GR1YH (JP)Sub-6

View attachment 5499135

Now I'm going to buy in a country where Pixels are not officially sold, and I am not certain which variant they are going to bring in. So I need to know beforehand what I'm getting into. I have three questions.

1. Which of these are ok to go for bootloader unlocks, rooting etc? Specifically, is the Japanese one Unlockable?
  2. Is this number written on the box anywhere? If so where? How can I check before buying?
I won't claim that I have thoroughly researched this topic, but it seems like this information isn't readily available. I see a lot of "probably"s and "likely"s but not many definite answers.

Also if you're already here and do know, might as well answer the same questions for pro as well.
All except the Verizon sold units of the G9S9B can be unlocked once SIM unlocked, including TMobile, Fi and AT&T units, the Verizon one is the only one that is permanently bl locked.

Reactions: ryanhossain9797
All except the Verizon sold units of the G9S9B can be unlocked once SIM unlocked, including TMobile, Fi and AT&T units, the Verizon one is the only one that is permanently bl locked.
So only the Verizon G9S9B is the only model that is permanently locked up? thanks that's a relief.

This article seems to suggest the T-Mobile one still isn't BL unlockable once it's sim unlocked.

Whoareyou

So only the Verizon G9S9B is the only model that is permanently locked up? thanks that's a relief.

This article seems to suggest the T-Mobile one still isn't BL unlockable once it's sim unlocked.
Using the temporary SIM unlock workaround doesn't let you unlock the BL, only the full, official, permanent SIM unlock from TMO will do that.

Reactions: ryanhossain9797

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

GR1YH (JP)Sub-6

View attachment 5499135

Using the temporary SIM unlock workaround doesn't let you unlock the BL, only the full, official, permanent SIM unlock from TMO will do that.
    Thanks a lot. One final question. I've heard random rumors that JP softbank ones are also locked up? any idea?
    This I'm not sure about, sorry, never had any experience with the Japanese market devices, it might be able to be done after SIM unlock, but I don't know for certain.