Question Which version of the phone do I have and how to root?

Search This thread

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Oklahoma City
Build number
DE2117_11_C.17

Hardware version
DE2117_11

I keep seeing T-Mobile version, INTL version, DE18 and all that. I'm so confused, I just need root.

swee08315

Jan 25, 2010
Cleveland
I believe that's the international version since mine is DE2117. Not sure because of the "_11" at the end of yours. Maybe that signifies you updated it, in which case you will probably have to downgrade it.

Rooting this phone is a headache btw. I'm not even sure if I should be providing instructions because I bricked mine multiple times while attempting and had to keep restoring with MSMtools, and now I'm not even sure I can update it without losing root. I don't even think I did anything differently when it finally worked, it's just luck.

Anyway, first step is to download the international version of the MSMtools and payload dumper. look up how to dump the boot image with payload dumper from the MSMtools. And make sure you don't attempt to do anything to the device before unlocking your bootloader (and you'll have to unlock it again everytime you restore with MSMtool).

From there you should be able to follow guides.

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Oklahoma City
@swee08315
I downloaded the latest update available from https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1630638351161
But the phone is updated to July. Hmmmm.....

I've extracted the boot.img from there. Patched it with magisk. I'm about to fastboot flash it..... Wish me luck, I'm going in.
Unless there's a way to extract the boot.img that's currently installed. I think I'll poke around and look for that rather than simply hoping this is the right one.

I downloaded the latest update available from https://www.oneplus.com/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1630638351161
But the phone is updated to July. Hmmmm.....

I've extracted the boot.img from there. Patched it with magisk. I'm about to fastboot flash it..... Wish me luck, I'm going in.
Unless there's a way to extract the boot.img that's currently installed. I think I'll poke around and look for that rather than simply hoping this is the right one.

A1.1 will get the boot.img your device currently has.

Edit: if you flashed the boot.img from the official site, then your device is most likely bricked. I'll fetch my boot.img and link it here (won't be magisk patched).

Reactions: swee08315

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Oklahoma City

A1.1 will get the boot.img your device currently has.

Edit: if you flashed the boot.img from the official site, then your device is most likely bricked. I'll fetch my boot.img and link it here (won't be magisk patched).
yeah, I bricked it :D
Nothing a few beers won't cure.
Once I unbrick, I will do A1.1 though.

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Oklahoma City
here's the boot.img (not rooted)
I hope you haven't wiped yet
nah, I don't wipe until I get into the shower.
But yeah, I completely reset everything with MSM tools. In the process of letting all the updates go through. Thanks for the boot img though, It'll save me the trouble of having to pull it using the msm tools.

Edit: I forgot to do the vbmeta stuff after flashing the magisk patched. How do I fix? Can I borrow your vbmeta, @justauserthatusesaphone ?

Last edited:
nah, I don't wipe until I get into the shower.
But yeah, I completely reset everything with MSM tools. In the process of letting all the updates go through. Thanks for the boot img though, It'll save me the trouble of having to pull it using the msm tools.

Edit: I forgot to do the vbmeta stuff after flashing the magisk patched. How do I fix? Can I borrow your vbmeta, @justauserthatusesaphone ?
I'll get it when I'm on my PC
the c17 one, correct?

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Oklahoma City
So I can update my oneplus and then patch and use this bootimg to regain root? Or will trying to update my rooted device brick it and I'd have to wipe everything and start from scratch anyway?
So, I don't know how this phone handles updates. I've had previous phones that if it was rooted, the OTA would fail to install, and others that the OTA would install and replace the boot.img, so root would be removed.

The first case, I would have to unroot, restore the stock boot.img, and then it could take the OTA update.
The other case I would have to block OTAs until I could get the boot.img for it, so that I could root the update.

The guide posted here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-and-keeping-root-options.4387977/
part B explains how to update and maintain root. Seems like it's the first case. Restore stock boot.img.

So, I don't know how this phone handles updates. I've had previous phones that if it was rooted, the OTA would fail to install, and others that the OTA would install and replace the boot.img, so root would be removed.

The first case, I would have to unroot, restore the stock boot.img, and then it could take the OTA update.
The other case I would have to block OTAs until I could get the boot.img for it, so that I could root the update.

The guide posted here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-and-keeping-root-options.4387977/
part B explains how to update and maintain root. Seems like it's the first case. Restore stock boot.img
You could turn off automatic system updates so it doesn't reboot automatically and then you install the update and when it asks you to restart, go into magisk and click install and install to inactive slot then you go back to the system update page and click restart. I don't know whether Google's ota system makes it easier or not.

swee08315

Jan 25, 2010
Cleveland
Late reply but I can confirm that all updates fail on this device and you would have to unroot to get the update, and then root again. Very annoying that it's constantly notifying me that an update is available or that it tried to update last night and failed

Late reply but I can confirm that all updates fail on this device and you would have to unroot to get the update, and then root again. Very annoying that it's constantly notifying me that an update is available or that it tried to update last night and failed
I never had that issue but if you do, press uninstall and restore images (DON'T REBOOT), then after installing the updates (DON'T REBOOT) press install and install to inactive slot. Press the reboot button and you're done.

Top Liked Posts