• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Whining Sound Using USB-C To 3.5mm Adapter

Search This thread

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
I'm trying to figure out, without buying anything new, if the whining sound I hear when using the 3.5mm adapter is a product of the adapter or not. The whining sounds like the whining from a bad belt on a car. I actually thought it was my car at first.

Is anyone else using an adapter and also suffers from this?

The adapter I have:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I'm trying to figure out, without buying anything new, if the whining sound I hear when using the 3.5mm adapter is a product of the adapter or not. The whining sounds like the whining from a bad belt on a car. I actually thought it was my car at first.

Is anyone else using an adapter and also suffers from this?

The adapter I have:
Disclaimer: 6 Pro here.

I'm using the adapter from Google and have not heard any whining sounds.

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
It my just be your cars electrical system.
I remember the days. If you did notthing too isolate the alternator and distributor. You would hear the engine revving on the radio. Lol..
It wasn't present with my previous LG G8X using the same Aux cord I'm using now. The differences now are the Pixel 6 and the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.

Reactions: vandyman

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
I remember the days. If you did notthing too isolate the alternator and distributor. You would hear the engine revving on the radio. Lol..
It seems that there must be something with the car and the adapter. Using the adapter with headphones and using the adapter with the same Aux cord and a soundbar does not create the whining sound.

Edit:
Yeah, it's something with my car and the adapter. Funny bit is that the adapter is said to have "super noise reduction technology". It would be funny if it's what causing the whining.

81XqIM3CqwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
When you get a chance some day. Try the setup in another car and see what happens.

Edit; I do not want scare you into thinking there is definitely something wrong with your car, but anything is possible.
It wouldn't surprise me if it is my car. Either way -- I'm gonna have to get another adapter.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
It could the car. Bad spark plug wires are a common problem.
It wouldn't be spark plugs. Virtually all cars made in the last 20 years have separate coils for each plug, not the old fashioned cap and rotor. They're shielded.

The part that makes the noise is the alternator, which creates a sinusoidal wave, both in the wiring and in em.

Alternators are present on all cars, gas or diesel.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
It wasn't present with my previous LG G8X using the same Aux cord I'm using now. The differences now are the Pixel 6 and the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.
Has to be the USB sound card (adapter dongle) or car analog wiring. The phone signal to the sound card is digital and can't receive analog interference.

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
Has to be the USB sound card (adapter dongle) or car analog wiring. The phone signal to the sound card is digital and can't receive analog interference.
It isn't present without the adapter so a guess is that the adapter is drawing power from the phone and passing it through to the aux cable? Though it doesn't seem to do the same with headphones or hooked up to a soundbar. I dunno.

neptun2

Jul 25, 2009
Pixel 6 usb type c supports only digital audio so all conversion to analogue signal is made by the DAC (digital to analogue converter) in the cable. This is why cheapest type c to 3.5mm cables without DAC do not work at all. It is quite strange but maybe just this cable do not play well with your car.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
It isn't present without the adapter so a guess is that the adapter is drawing power from the phone and passing it through to the aux cable? Though it doesn't seem to do the same with headphones or hooked up to a soundbar. I dunno.

The phone's power is DC and clean from the battery, so it won't be supplying a sinusoidal wave. The noise CAN'T come from the phone. The dongle or wire is picking up RF or unstable electrical *FROM THE CAR*.

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
The phone's power is DC and clean from the battery, so it won't be supplying a sinusoidal wave. The noise CAN'T come from the phone. The dongle or wire is picking up RF or unstable electrical *FROM THE CAR*.
Gotcha.

So previously, the wire alone, didn't pick up the noise. What about the adapter, do you think, could be picking up noise? And from what? The aux jack is in the center console. There is also a USB port next to it. At this point it's all academic. I'm going to buy a Google or Apple adapter and see how it performs.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Gotcha.

So previously, the wire alone, didn't pick up the noise. What about the adapter, do you think, could be picking up noise? And from what? The aux jack is in the center console. There is also a USB port next to it. At this point it's all academic. I'm going to buy a Google or Apple adapter and see how it performs.

Its hard to tell. Depends on whats in it and how it is wired. It may also depend on the car's audio wiring -- if the car is wired for single-ended inputs, then the shell may be attached to chassis, which may carry noisy signals to the audio dongle.

It seems to me that the most likely cause is some component in the audio dongle being unshielded and allowing RF into the pre-amp circuit. An easy thing you can try, and I know this might sound a bit wacky, is wrapping tinfoil around the audio dongle to see if that has any impact on the noise you are experiencing. If it does, it would confirm this theory.

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
Its hard to tell. Depends on whats in it and how it is wired. It may also depend on the car's audio wiring -- if the car is wired for single-ended inputs, then the shell may be attached to chassis, which may carry noisy signals to the audio dongle.

It seems to me that the most likely cause is some component in the audio dongle being unshielded and allowing RF into the pre-amp circuit. An easy thing you can try, and I know this might sound a bit wacky, is wrapping tinfoil around the audio dongle to see if that has any impact on the noise you are experiencing. If it does, it would confirm this theory.
That sounds like a fun experiment. Heck, maybe I'll just go with the home-brew solution if it works. I don't care if it looks crappy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.