Whiskeyomega's V30 Sound Mods

Search This thread

Orof

Jun 28, 2014
Herzliya
hey
the mixer_paths_tavil.xml was originally missing from my system/etc on my lg v30. iv'e added the file (number 5) but it did not enable the ds mod. after that i flashed an lg v30 ds mod on magisk, but still, no ds.

any suggestions?

p.s: running on oreo

davebugyi

Mar 16, 2010
Bratislava
www.myspace.com
hey
the mixer_paths_tavil.xml was originally missing from my system/etc on my lg v30. iv'e added the file (number 5) but it did not enable the ds mod. after that i flashed an lg v30 ds mod on magisk, but still, no ds.

any suggestions?

p.s: running on oreo

The file was missing, because on OREO the path is /system/vendor/etc.
/system/etc is for Nougat.

Reactions: crubbish and Orof

Charbleach

Oct 24, 2017
Hmm, I just put the 5th mod file in the directory and now my phone doesnt make sound and keeps restarting. What is happening?

lmservas

Nov 6, 2016
LG V30
Google Pixel 4 XL
@Whiskeyomega Have you experimented with adding "audio.offload.16bit.enable=true" to the build.prop in hopes of forcing 16Bit audio to the Sabre DAC rather than the on-board Aqstic DAC? I know that users of the V20 and other HiFi DAC enabled devices had success with this. I don't even see this line in the prop file at all though. I am going to give it a try myself when I get home from work, just wanted to ask the resident DAC guy lol.

glhelinski

Oct 11, 2010
Flint MI
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello,
I've read all the pages of this thread and am trying to figure out what exactly this mod does and if it is currently working. As for my case, I'm on stock Oreo 8.0, TWRP, Magisk 16. I'm not happy with the sound coming out of the speaker....volume is too low. Personally I don't care (much) about the special DAC on this phone. I've used Viper for years and am happy with the quality of what that produces (both through the speaker and thru headphones). Again, my main issue is....it's not loud enough through the speakers and would like to improve the volume of that. Would installing your mod and/or Viper via Magisk get me where I want to go? Thanks

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
I'm on Oreo, and this mod is DEFINITELY not working. Not sure why. All I really want is a louder speaker phone. Any ideas, or tricks?

Reactions: glhelinski

Silenus21

Oct 19, 2008
It does work.
Make sure you are putting the file on /system/vendor/etc and it has the correct permissions.

rynaus

Sep 27, 2016
It works ! Do not forget to REBOOT your phone after replacing the file.
For me, it worked only after a reboot. Enjoy :)

Thanks for this patch btw.

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
Hi, sorry if dumb question, what's the dual speaker mod do if we only have 1 speaker?
Will try this with my already excellent sennheiser cx-500i headphones that are just not loud enough. Have them at about 90% just for normal listening.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi, sorry if dumb question, what's the dual speaker mod do if we only have 1 speaker?
The ear speaker becomes the 2nd speaker.

(In case you don't know it, in very loud audio environments -- like live concerts -- LG has designed the ear speaker to convert to 3rd microphone. I'm not making this up.)

So, devs are utilizing the ear speaker to be another loud speaker. You just can't make it as loud as the bottom speaker, but it does work.

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+

Last edited:

Spiricore

Jan 5, 2011
Bend, OR
xdaforums.com
Thanks for your work on this, option 6 working as advertised on stock (LS998 system partition) rooted Oreo for me.

However, I notice a hiss when audio is playing regardless of DAC settings, headphones, audio player, or having Viper enabled. I restored the original file and don't notice it at any volume. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

rynaus

Sep 27, 2016
Same here. Guys, use Option 2 and it sounds amazing. Other options cause hissing.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Thanks for your work on this, option 6 working as advertised on stock (LS998 system partition) rooted Oreo for me.

However, I notice a hiss when audio is playing regardless of DAC settings, headphones, audio player, or having Viper enabled. I restored the original file and don't notice it at any volume. Has anyone else experienced this?

Use option 2 and it works great. With other options I noticed the hissing too.

Spiricore

Jan 5, 2011
Bend, OR
xdaforums.com
Option 2 also has hissing (much more noticeable at lower volumes with quieter content like audiobooks), albeit harder to notice than the more extreme options. It's too distracting for me in the long run, but I'm thankful for the option nevertheless! :good:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So Im testing a few various options tonight with mixer_paths_tavil.xml and I genuinely believe that LG have done goofed.
    What I think ive found is the V30 has 2 sound devices (not sure if its 2 DACS) but there is a low power device which seems to be what would be the default sound device for a LG phone (maybe the G6) and there is also the decent ES9218P DAC chip.

What LG has done as made a bad job of the mixer_paths_tavil.xml which includes references a ES9018 which was never put in the phone or any phone AFAIK.
    But what I have just noticed is if you are using a set of low impedance headphones . It goes through to the low power sound device chip but keeps the HIFI DAC switch working so the EQ can still work. Unless you make it think you are running a different type of headset which it calls "Advanced" which is high impedance then it runs to the decent DAC and there are no problems.

I have also noticed in all the mixer_paths_tavil.xml from around the world markets that there are differences in settings which should be the same. Which is what could account for some people saying Low Impedance still runs through the same decent DAC and some people saying it doesnt. Either way mixer_paths_tavil.xml is a maze of old and incorrect information.

So with that in mind. I'd Like to share the results of my work with more always coming.

Audio Mod Options inside the zips

1 = "Can I play Daddy?"(No Mods)
    2 = "Don't hurt me" (Good DAC SQ For Low Impedance Headphones/AUX)
    3 = "Bring 'em on!" (Loud For All Headphones )
    4 = "I am Death Incarnate!", (Very Loud For All Headphones )
    5 = "I'm too young to die", (Dual Speaker Mod by @Dante63 only)
    6 = "Hey, not too rough" (DS + Good DAC SQ For Low Impedance Headphones/AUX)
    7 = "Hurt me plenty" (DS + Loud For All Headphones )
    8 "Nightmare!" (DS + Very Loud For All Headphones)

Put in /system/etc for Nougat or /system/vendor/etc or Oreo (Requires root)

NO LONGER AVAILABLE DUE TO GETTING STOLEN WITH NO CREDIT
    It's an XML file edit that people can just Google. What's all the fuss about? It's not as if this actually took major work....
    Kindly don't assume such MODs are simple to make, regardless even if everything on Google, it may seems to be simple and easy to do, but when you actually do, you'd get stuck... we brick our phones to make those MODs working for everyone to use, I speak not only for myself but others as well... I do hope you understand, good day...
    I searched on Chinese websites and found it, I downloaded it and posted it on my archive, people can download use it but I have not enough posts to post links please contact my fb search : Mr.Phạm. Anh.Tú
    If the dev has removed links to their work, it's considered bad manners to provide mirror links in their own thread. Even if you don't agree with the reason they removed the links.

At most you can tell people how you researched and found them. Better yet you can encourage the dev to re-post the links, but please don't re-post the links yourself.

These mods are popular and useful and I hope @Whiskeyomega reposts them.
    I'm dying to apply @Whiskeyomega 's high impedance fixes to my v30 so I fully enjoy my Hifiman Edition X v2. The swapping cable's trick to enforce high impedance works, the bump in SQ and Volume is simply stellar, however, this method is also very cumbersome.

After successfully unlocking the bootloader I naively assumed that this would be the same as root access. I'm am now learning that this is only the first step.

So far, I did not find a guide or F.A.Q. in the v30 section of this forum how to gain full root access, especially for first timers like me.

How about a guide from this very forum? ;) Written about a month ago (February 4, 2018) by @Wotta. Go to that thread and thank him for writing it up!

Unlocking and Rooting - TWRP/Magisk Step-by-Step
    https://xdaforums.com/lg-v30/help/unlocking-rooting-twrp-magisk-step-step-t3745006

In general, it is clear to me I need to
    1. install TWRP and
    2. then load either Magisks or SuperSU, (not sure which is prefered and why )
    3. so I can use SE File Explorer in root mode that allows me to write to /system/etc

Am I correct? What is the easiest way to achieve this?

I apologise, this is probably not the right location in this forum, where should I go/ask?

For point #3, I prefer Root Explorer app myself, but to each his or her own.

For point #2, after you flash (install) Magisk or SuperSu in TWRP (only use one or the other, not both), apps that need root access will throw up a prompt asking and you will grant root access.

• SuperSu is the stalwart that will work.
      I'm a big fan of SuperSu.
    • Magisk is the "new kid on the block" that is great about cloaking root and even bootloader unlock.
      Apps like Android Pay won't allow root because merchants fear security risks. Some games like Pokemon won't allow root because you can hide VPN location changes to cheat. Stuff like that. So, they check something called SafetyNet. Magisk lets you have root and those apps won't know. I don't use Android Pay, and I don't play location-based games on my phone, but if you do that's the difference.

Actually, see the re-post below because I answered more fully in that post...

It's actually funny. I just realized I was REPLYING to @Wotta, who who wrote that step by step guide I just linked above. He asked this question below about rooting on February 3. I answered, then he went through the rooting process himself, and wrote the guide the next day to help others.

That's how XDA works. ;)

Other than Android Pay, what do you lose with root?

With Magisk, which hides bootloader unlock and root, you can still have Android Pay. It allows you to pass SafetyNet.

https%3A%2F%2Fuploads.disquscdn.com%2Fimages%2F1bafcbb6b138da16e649abbbeaba9752fe3e1e5e26d13e86f3e3b29aecf1278d.gif%3Fw%3D600%26h%3D321

Yes, it's cat and mouse with Google, so you'll need to keep it updated.

But really that's the whole point of Magisk to give you root without seemingly changing your phone in any way. No alterations can be detected.

https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk
    The Universal Systemless Interface, to create an altered mask of the system without changing the system itself.

What do you lose?

Well I'm all for root but I'll play devil's advocate...

• You will lose your warranty -- but you gain ownership of your phone.
    • You will lose easy OTA updates -- but those will always be posted here in the XDA forums in TWRP flashable form.
      Usually the whole KDZ will be posted, but by that point you probably will want custom ROMs or at least tweaked, debloated stock ROMs and OTAs of just regular stock firmware won't really interest you. The ROMs are usually quickly updated to include any (safe) changes in the OTA updates.
    • Sometimes apps that won't work with root (Android Pay, some banking apps) will temporarily stop working until Magisk gets updated.
      The past 3 years I've had a Motorola phone with "regular" root (not Magisk) and I've just not used anything like Android Pay that didn't allow me to have root. Luckily my banking app and corporate email doesn't care.
    The ear speaker becomes the 2nd speaker.

(In case you don't know it, in very loud audio environments -- like live concerts -- LG has designed the ear speaker to convert to 3rd microphone. I'm not making this up.)

So, devs are utilizing the ear speaker to be another loud speaker. You just can't make it as loud as the bottom speaker, but it does work.

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+