Question Whitestone Dome - UV light more or less?

Search This thread

felloffthetruck

• May 12, 2014
    Installed the Whitestone dome and it came out perfect.

Just wondering if it makes any difference to use the curing light more than recommended?

Will too much UV light damage the adhesive or glass?

I've already done a few extra minutes.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    It's fine.
    Short wavelength UV can damage your eyes... never look at it. Including the light reflected of objects illuminated by it.
    Welder's flash is painful... think sand in your eyes.

Reactions: felloffthetruck

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    The extra uv light will do nothing to the adhesive. The recommended ammount of uv blue light by White Stone is more then enough to make a great fit.

Their switches are cheap so sometimes the diode flickers. Overkill may be the best solution.
    I'm not impressed with Whitestone at all. Their customer support is terrible and it's all off shore shipped and "supported". No phone support and rude, slow email support.
    A wretched company to deal with, one of the worst.
    Been there, done that... to hell with Whitestone.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
    Does the adhesive become stronger with more exposure time?

Super strong adhesive can be a problem in the future when you try to remove an old tempered glass screen protector.

I've heard horror stories where people have trouble with trying to chisel away at the old adhesive and glass mess. I wonder if their problem was over-curing the adhesive by using the light too long?

I went by the book for exposure curing time, and it was very easy to remove the cracked screen protector - even with a crack in it, I could still easily peel it off because the adhesive was willing to let go.

However, I've never tested this. But it just seems like the time limits are provided for a reason, and are not given in terms of "at least" but rather "for this long".

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    When it's cured it's cured. The polymerization is done. Under curing however would be an issue.
    UV does degrade many materials over time but this isn't near a strong enough source and a few extra minutes is insignificant.
    As the polymer adhesive ages it may degrade making removal more difficult than when it was first applied.

Personally I don't like this protector at all. It's a pain from start to finish including removal at times. My stupid cheap easy wet apply urethane screen protector has been on for over 9 months. It's kept the screen from being marred.
    It's can be easily removed and is much easier to apply. Only $5 a pop. I still have 3 left because I never thought they be so easy to apply (expected to destroy one) and that even if the application went well it would only last 2 or months. Not.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    I have the Whitestone Dome Glass on my s21U and got a chip on it yesterday and tried to take it off. It was a horror show and a large part of it stuck to the middle of the screen. I thought my phone was ruined. I had to take a hot hairdryer which softened the glue and slowly pick bits of it off. This is the first time I've ever had this happen after using many different UV protector on different phones! I did put a new one on but when I take this one off I'll be much more cautious to use a hairdryer and try and remove it all in one piece .

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I have the Whitestone Dome Glass on my s21U and got a chip on it yesterday and tried to take it off. It was a horror show and a large part of it stuck to the middle of the screen. I thought my phone was ruined. I had to take a hot hairdryer which softened the glue and slowly pick bits of it off. This is the first time I've ever had this happen after using many different UV protector on different phones! I did put a new one on but when I take this one off I'll be much more cautious to use a hairdryer and try and remove it all in one piece .

That's nasty.
    How long was it on?

99% Isopropyl alcohol be worth a shot but probably be ineffective.
    Be real careful when using heat guns. I've used them a lot for electronic assembly and things can heat up quick, too quick.
    The display is literally tens of thousands of heat sensitive semiconductors.

My solution is to use a case with slightly raised guards around the whole display. The Zizo Bolt has protected my 10+ very well. The Gorilla IQ Sheild has done the rest to protect the screen. The screen is fairly robust but needs protection from scratches. Urethane does a surprisingly good job at this. It's self healing to a certain extent so it actually looks better after a night's rest in areas of high usage ie the keyboard. Rather strange to observe.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    That's nasty.
    How long was it on?

99% Isopropyl alcohol be worth a shot but probably be ineffective.
    Be real careful when using heat guns. I've used them a lot for electronic assembly and things can heat up quick, too quick.
    The display is literally tens of thousands of heat sensitive semiconductors.

My solution is to use a case with slightly raised guards around the whole display. The Zizo Bolt has protected my 10+ very well. The Gorilla IQ Sheild has done the rest to protect the screen. The screen is fairly robust but needs protection from scratches. Urethane does a surprisingly good job at this.
    It was only on for 3 weeks. I maybe didn't remove it properly as I just tried to lift it off rather than put some card or something under it and prise it off but as I said, I've never had any problems like that before with UV glue protectors, they always usually easily come off.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    It was only on for 3 weeks. I maybe didn't remove it properly as I just tried to lift it off rather than put some card or something under it and prise it off but as I said, I've never had any problems like that before with UV glue protectors, they always usually easily come off.

The damage may have scored it leaving a weak spot.
    Glass is a very strange substance; neither a true solid nor liquid. An amorphous solid.
    It can behave in seemingly unpredictable ways. The Pascal's law applies to it. Glazer's can use this to their advantage to cut glass.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      When it's cured it's cured. The polymerization is done. Under curing however would be an issue.
      UV does degrade many materials over time but this isn't near a strong enough source and a few extra minutes is insignificant.
      As the polymer adhesive ages it may degrade making removal more difficult than when it was first applied.

Personally I don't like this protector at all. It's a pain from start to finish including removal at times. My stupid cheap easy wet apply urethane screen protector has been on for over 9 months. It's kept the screen from being marred.
      It's can be easily removed and is much easier to apply. Only $5 a pop. I still have 3 left because I never thought they be so easy to apply (expected to destroy one) and that even if the application went well it would only last 2 or months. Not.

The damage may have scored it leaving a weak spot.
      Glass is a very strange substance; neither a true solid nor liquid. An amorphous solid.
      It can behave in seemingly unpredictable ways. The Pascal's law applies to it. Glazer's can use this to their advantage to cut glass.
      Installed the Whitestone dome and it came out perfect.

Just wondering if it makes any difference to use the curing light more than recommended?

Will too much UV light damage the adhesive or glass?

I've already done a few extra minutes.
      It's fine.
      Short wavelength UV can damage your eyes... never look at it. Including the light reflected of objects illuminated by it.
      Welder's flash is painful... think sand in your eyes.