Who else is disappointed in the camera?

Search This thread

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Maybe you are right,

i saw a lot of complaint from common smartphone users indeed,

but am also not surprised that the one who appreciate this phone mostly are seasoned photographers, or one who are used to with mirrorless and SLR camera.

i never encounter issue with other phone either,

but i wont be able to take that shot using iPhone nor LG nor Samsung nor LG as well,

so, can't complaint much. This phone allow me to do what i can't do with others.

Attachments

• IMG_20180824_183611-01.jpg
    IMG_20180824_183611-01.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_20180823_172851-01.jpg
    IMG_20180823_172851-01.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 581

neflictus

Oct 12, 2013
Cluj
Guys who are using DSLR’s can’t possibly like this phone. Let’s keep it real.

The photos are mostly fake. Everything looks like it has a filter.

It’s nice to see that my comments were erased.

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta

Thats the reality though, you can check reviews around,

photographers who use SLR like the cam because it has pro mode with setting resemble their slr/mirorless setting , and the phone do a good nightshot without tripod which is almost impossible with a normal slr/mirorless cam,

but again, its all about taste and subjectivity. And i can't be sure what kind of photos are considered good for you.

Which comment is erased btw ? Only mod can do that :eek:

redeleon

Jan 2, 2013

Nah, I've been in the photography industry for years now, handled DSLRs, Film Cameras and Mirrorless for professional work.

Although the software has some quirks, and the implementation is not perfect, the RAW 40MP files are great for a smartphone camera with a sensor size this small.

Raw 40MP has that annoying shutter lag, but if you get the hang of it you're pretty much fine BUT it should be addressed by Huawei sinve there are spontaneous moments that you can potentially miss because of this.

The smartphone camera (RAW 40MP) inages are good that it is my secondary camera for street photography and documentaries.

neflictus

Oct 12, 2013
Cluj
Thats the reality though, you can check reviews around,

photographers who use SLR like the cam because it has pro mode with setting resemble their slr/mirorless setting , and the phone do a good nightshot without tripod which is almost impossible with a normal slr/mirorless cam,

but again, its all about taste and subjectivity. And i can't be sure what kind of photos are considered good for you.

Which comment is erased btw ? Only mod can do that :eek:

You're making me laugh man.
The LG G4 had manual settings, and that was a great camera phone. Yeah, it takes great night photos (with lots of noise I might add), but insert a moving object and it's all gone to ****.
Usability: 0.

Netsoft

Jul 18, 2013
You're making me laugh man.
The LG G4 had manual settings, and that was a great camera phone. Yeah, it takes great night photos (with lots of noise I might add), but insert a moving object and it's all gone to ****.
Usability: 0.

Yup. The Phone P20/Pro sucks. So just sell it and move on. Lmao

Personally, I love the phone camera. It's good enough for me. I don't really want to go technical with phone cameras since that's an area reserved for SLRs where small details are important. To expect a miracle from phone cam is too much.

Snap, store and share. Good for Facebook/blogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: subhani

buxz777

Jun 22, 2011
The only good images in really seeing is night mode shots of static buildings or is it just me?

jester182

Mar 25, 2010
Hilarious to hear so many keyboard commanders complaining about the camera. No one drives a Toyota Camry and expects it to behave like a Lamborghini, so why would a camera phone be any different. You simply can't compare the P20 to an slr. Sure, there may be some simularities, but they can never be compared as equals. I myself, think that it's great for what it is, and with little bit of adjustment you can capture some really nice photos.

Last edited:

jad_777

Dec 23, 2013
I upgrade from samsung note 4 to Huawei P20 Pro, and yes i disappointed with its 3 cameras, concerning macro shots its bad, its very hard to get good clear macro images.
In photo mode i can't zoom too much like note 4, regular photos are blury, i'm not sure if its software issue.
Also i didn't like the fact that you can't set different ringtones for different apps. Thats also annoying thing.

neflictus

Oct 12, 2013
Cluj
So much wrong with your statement. It would take me a while to correct your stupidity.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Sorry FOR trashing your phone.

The truth usually stings and your feelings are hurt.
But I can see the future.
You will recover after buying a phone from a manufacturer who gives a crap about software, support and customer satisfaction.
One who doesn’t use marketing to lie about its hardware and software.

How about that 4K stabilization ?
Is it here yet ?
Wish you all the best.

Evolution wouldn’t be possible without stupid people.
See ? I’m useful already.

What’s your purpose internet keyboard warrior ?
@jester182 The initial conversation was about camera phone amongst camera phones. Compared to some phones the camera is lacking.
Some guy mentioned the phone is DSLR godlike.

I think the pocket now review describes this phones’s camera in the most accurate way possible.

Lacking and gimmicky.

Last edited:

subhani

Dec 9, 2010
Sorry FOR trashing your phone.

The truth usually stings and your feelings are hurt.
But I can see the future.
You will recover after buying a phone from a manufacturer who gives a crap about software, support and customer satisfaction.
One who doesn’t use marketing to lie about its hardware and software.

How about that 4K stabilization ?
Is it here yet ?
Wish you all the best.

Evolution wouldn’t be possible without stupid people.
See ? I’m useful already.

What’s your purpose internet keyboard warrior ?
@jester182 The initial conversation was about camera phone amongst camera phones. Compared to some phones the camera is lacking.
Some guy mentioned the phone is DSLR godlike.

I think the pocket now review describes this phones’s camera in the most accurate way possible.

Lacking and gimmicky.

The P20 Pro still has the best zoom function. The most detail using 40mp in bright light. The best night time shots. 1080p stabilisation is fine. 4k can be stabilised afterwards. But the 4k is the main complaint, followed by some people who want a better FFC, followed by those who want better slow motion.

And the phone still has an awesome display, brilliant dual speakers, lightning fast fingerprint and face unlock, longest lasting battery and low on contract prices. A unique stunning design and high storage capacity. Infra red remote. The camera and all the things mentioned above make this device a no brainer.

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
The P20 Pro still has the best zoom function. The most detail using 40mp in bright light. The best night time shots. 1080p stabilisation is fine. 4k can be stabilised afterwards. But the 4k is the main complaint, followed by some people who want a better FFC, followed by those who want better slow motion.

And the phone still has an awesome display, brilliant dual speakers, lightning fast fingerprint and face unlock, longest lasting battery and low on contract prices. A unique stunning design and high storage capacity. Infra red remote. The camera and all the things mentioned above make this device a no brainer.

Just let it be my friend, no point in arguing any longer

they wont get the fact, that

"Supercar is not for common cab driver"

they wont be able to drive it to its maximum potential :)

Willemstadt

Aug 31, 2018
Just coming in on the end of this thread. I've had my P20 for about 6 weeks. I have an Olympus Pen F and a Fuji X70 for when I want to carry the heavier stuff around. When I first got my P20 I was a bit dismayed at the AI interference especially on greenery and foliage. But after 6 weeks a couple of updates I am well impressed. I did nearly return it at one point but so glad I didn't. I have spent hours comparing the P20 to the Pixel 2 is the odd occasion where the Pixel produces the nicer shot but there are hands down so many where the P20 excels. Once you get use the flexibility of the P20 it is pretty damn good and I have taken some incredibly good photos. I am also starting to wonder whether "machine learning" is playing a part in the processing improvement as my pics compared to 6 weeks ago are definitely much improved. The auto Hdr when it kicks in (even when AI is turned off) is very good and without a doubt exceeds the Pixel I low light and strong back light. The zoom 3x 5x are extremely good and the black and white detail is stunning. I have no complaints and on top of that it's a very good phone too - display (that you can see in strong sunlight unlike the pixel) is extremely good for non Quad HD, the battery life is exceptional and i find the performance lightning fast and 100% reliable. The Huawei skin is not too intrusive and it doesn't have Siri or Bixby!

redeleon

Jan 2, 2013
Just coming in on the end of this thread. I've had my P20 for about 6 weeks. I have an Olympus Pen F and a Fuji X70 for when I want to carry the heavier stuff around. When I first got my P20 I was a bit dismayed at the AI interference especially on greenery and foliage. But after 6 weeks a couple of updates I am well impressed. I did nearly return it at one point but so glad I didn't. I have spent hours comparing the P20 to the Pixel 2 is the odd occasion where the Pixel produces the nicer shot but there are hands down so many where the P20 excels. Once you get use the flexibility of the P20 it is pretty damn good and I have taken some incredibly good photos. I am also starting to wonder whether "machine learning" is playing a part in the processing improvement as my pics compared to 6 weeks ago are definitely much improved. The auto Hdr when it kicks in (even when AI is turned off) is very good and without a doubt exceeds the Pixel I low light and strong back light. The zoom 3x 5x are extremely good and the black and white detail is stunning. I have no complaints and on top of that it's a very good phone too - display (that you can see in strong sunlight unlike the pixel) is extremely good for non Quad HD, the battery life is exceptional and i find the performance lightning fast and 100% reliable. The Huawei skin is not too intrusive and it doesn't have Siri or Bixby!

Glad to see an Oly shooter here, I'm also using an EM1 II and an EM5II, we bith experienced the same disappointments at first, but a few days later when I challenged myself to only use the p20 pro for street shooting, it did impressed me

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta

Glad to see an Oly shooter here, I'm also using an EM1 II and an EM5II, we bith experienced the same disappointments at first, but a few days later when I challenged myself to only use the p20 pro for street shooting, it did impressed me

Hello fella,

Am might not be as active as how i was, but i used to shoot using E-500, E-510, the old "Tank" E-3 and first generation PEN for both works and hobby,

So, glad to see olympian around :victory:

dasebasto

Sep 28, 2010
Yep, the camera has serious issues

I have spent hours watching reviews and photo comparisons before recently buying the P20 Pro.
So I already knew that the Pixel 2 was a better choice for me, but it's not sold here in France and I needed a quick replacement for my deceased Nexus 5X.

I have only had the phone for a week, but it's clear it has issues making beautiful photos of people (my old Nexus 5X was actually better than this in good light).

I still need to make a comparison of all modes to determine if one gives correct results.
I'll post this here if I find the time.

Attached is an example of how ugly shots can get (100% crop). The sweater texture makes it look like it's in terrible state whereas it's not!

edit: attachment seems broken, here's the pic: https://i.imgur.com/DtE7tH0.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-09-04_15-33-15.jpg
    2018-09-04_15-33-15.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

subhani

Dec 9, 2010
I have spent hours watching reviews and photo comparisons before recently buying the P20 Pro.
So I already knew that the Pixel 2 was a better choice for me, but it's not sold here in France and I needed a quick replacement for my deceased Nexus 5X.

I have only had the phone for a week, but it's clear it has issues making beautiful photos of people (my old Nexus 5X was actually better than this in good light).

I still need to make a comparison of all modes to determine if one gives correct results.

Attached is an example of how ugly shots can get (100% crop). The sweater texture makes it look like it's in terrible state whereas it's not!

Do you have some side by side comparisons with the 5x? In my opinion, the 6P and 5X were the cameras where Google plateaued. Meaning, their later cameras produced nearly the exact same result as this benchmark set by the last of the Nexus series. That's how good they were. I still have my 6P and Google Pixel 1XL and I will say that they are as good as any 2018 flagship.

The Huawei is just as good in my opinion, but they excel in telephoto zoom, which I always needed and now I use a lot, plus low light photography.

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta

That picture quality is horrible. Are you using zoom ? That picture looks like if i was using more than 5x zoom. :eek:

It's miss focus as well. Focus seems like on the BG part of the image

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What do u guys think of the camera?
    Compared it to the pixel 2 and seriously that damn hdr on the google side is just insane.
    P20 Pro loses alot of details even in normal shots.
    Even in night shots pixel 2 captures so many details.
    For some reason the ai also stands in the way, greenery mode especially cranks up the shadows and so many details are lost
    I am kinda disappointed in the camera department.
    Hopefully huawei will work on a better hdr in their future updates.
    Pixel 2 is still the king of smartphone photography, can only imagine what will happen if pixel 3 goes dual cameras.

Cant say that am agree with you,

And i own both phone.

You can go to this thread https://xdaforums.com/huawei-p20-pro/how-to/photos-huawei-p20-pro-share-fantastic-t3774488/page15 to read more discussion about camera.

Conclusion is. P20 Pro is not your another point and shoot kind of camera. Its more like a photographer tool. It give you best result when you play around the setting and willing to go through the learning curve of using various camera mode. Not a fully auto like in our pixel 2 :laugh:
    I purchased the P20 Pro specifically for the camera as I'm a professional photographer and want the best IQ out of my always with me smartphone camera. I have owned the P20 Pro for almost two months now and have seen a dramatic improvement in the camera software over that time. The initial, pre 107 firmware was terrible with regard to raw color vignetting and at first I was fairly disappointed. The 107 firmware corrected the raw color vignetting issue, though of course there is still the typical natural vignetting that occurs with a small lens and large sensor (and yes, often the sensor DOES affect vignetting due to how it receives non parallel light rays from the lens). So natural, non color shifting vignetting was not really a surprise and does not bother me at all. I'm very happy with the IQ from 40MP raw images now. It's not going to match my 36MP full frame camera in good light of course but for a smartphone, the P20 Pro is pretty amazing.
    Probably my biggest positive surprise with the P20 Pro (beyond the software capabilities of Night Mode) is the quality of the black & white camera. Really nice tonality, no doubt somewhat due to the Leica involvement.
    Anyway, I'm now on the 131 firmware and the additional improvements I would like to see are more user control over color saturation, noise reduction and sharpness (and I would also love to be able to tweak how the Master AI option deals with color and color saturation). For the B&W camera, I would really, really love a raw option as well as control of noise reduction and sharpness as I occasionally see where the very aggressive noise reduction completely smooths/ blurs very fine distant detail such as grass.
    As far as all the noise about the P20 Pro camera not being as good vs phone X, etc. I would say that there is a higher learning curve to getting the most out of the cameras in the P20 Pro. I see this as the best option for a more experienced user who is looking for the absolute best IQ available today out of a smartphone. For someone looking for the best, "no hassle" snapshots from a smartphone, there may be better options though that does seem to be improving with every firmware update of the P20 Pro.
    The camera in p20 pro is simply out of this world. I had tested iPhone and pixel previously..... Simply no match. Pro mode is fantastic and totaly full of options as a camera app.

Sent from my Huawei P20 PRO
    Just fantastic... IMG_20180624_011036.jpegIMG_20180620_200700.jpegIMG_20180620_213420.jpegIMG_20180617_202545.jpegIMG_20180615_130544.jpegIMG_20180615_130913.jpeg

Sent from my Huawei P20 PRO
    Hilarious to hear so many keyboard commanders complaining about the camera. No one drives a Toyota Camry and expects it to behave like a Lamborghini, so why would a camera phone be any different. You simply can't compare the P20 to an slr. Sure, there may be some simularities, but they can never be compared as equals. I myself, think that it's great for what it is, and with little bit of adjustment you can capture some really nice photos.