Who else is disappointed in the camera?

Search This thread

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Owned the P20 Pro. The camera was garbage in my opinion.

Professional reviewers ?
Haha.
Dxomark are paid mercenaries.

Sure, Dxomark is mercenaries. Their review is laughable, i cant agree more. Even GSMArena do better job than them.

So, If you want honest review of this phone camera, go here : https://forum.xda-developers.com/hu...uawei-p20-pro-share-fantastic-t3774488/page86

They might not be professional photographers. But, maybe,

unlike you,

They know how to use their phone camera. Or at least, they did it better,

than you. :)

Because what this thread lacking, is

the bad pictures you people talk about,

While the other thread, do it the other way round,

They provide the good pictures, even in full size,

So,

How should we believe you, when you are all talk. am sorry, i mean, troll.

When we can find better fact/proof somewhere else. :)

Reactions: subhani

neflictus

Oct 12, 2013
Cluj
I suggest you read the comments on that particular review.
Users are calling them out for lying, manipulating the truth, showcasing examples of how bad the camera is etc.
Even the photos used in the review are bad compared to the Pixel and iPhone X.

The ultimate stop for the typical fanboy: you don't know how to use it.

Trust me, I know how to use a camera, manual controls included.
The camera is just bad. And it's a bad thing too cause the hardware is all there.
But the software is severly lacking. And I don't know if you are aware of this. When talking about photo quality, the software is the hardest to get right.

If I want to apply cheap effects, I can use any chinese photo editing app.
I don't need it straight from the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaconTrousers

subhani

Dec 9, 2010
Owned the P20 Pro. The camera was garbage in my opinion.

Professional reviewers ?
Haha.
Dxomark are paid mercenaries.
Where's my tin foil hat?

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

The ultimate stop for the typical fanboy: you don't know how to use it.

If I want to apply cheap effects, I can use any chinese photo editing app.
I don't need it straight from the camera.

Hahaha nearly all reviews rated the P20 Pro highly if not concluding that it was better than its rivals in all the important areas. I guess they all got paid. LMAO! First stop for X phone fanbois, claim the phone that is better than theirs is paying everyone to give them good reviews. That old chestnut...

Let's be real, the P20 Pro has terrible image stabilization in 4k. Some have complained about the FFC too, which I actually like. But that doesn't detract from the fact it has superb HDR, the most detail produced by any phone (bar maybe the Pureview phones) using 40mp in good lighting, flagship beating bokeh effects, the best zoom capability and the best low light capability. This is still true despite the arrival of newer models from rivals.

Last edited:

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Let these guys laugh, people,

i'll just repeat it again,

Do they provide any bad example here ? No

Do others provide good pictures example in the other thread ? Yes, even with detail info of the setting used (apperture, speed, iso, mode, supporting tools - like tripod, etc)

So,

People can have opinion indeed. With good arguments and proof, that opinion can become fact or truth.

With just words ? In some other part of the world, thats called : troll. or even worse, BS

No proof,

No business. No problem.

It's that simple. :)

all the pugs

Jun 4, 2018
Well. I‘m a professional photographer and I have taken some really awesome pictures with it. I have also taken some really horrible shots with the device ;)
The software processing can be a hit or miss, there is a thin line between a sharp and brillant image and an oversharpened, messy and oversaturated one. Not always the P20 Pro is on the spot. But there is a lot it does right. The auto HDR is quite well done! However, I wish it would be closer to the old lumia devices, quality wise. it could be close if the overprocessing would be reduced. Overall, still providing very useable results.

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
Just in here for the laugh..
Chances are people who come into other phone section and start **** coz
1 - they have no life
2 - they dont have the phone because they are bored and have no life.
3 - they have no life

All his claims are "doesnt provide details" blah blah but nothing to back that up... a lot of sites, not just DXOMark rates the P20 Pro as one of the top. I can agree that its not the best and that there can be things that need attention too but in the end I do like.

Last edited:
Personally I'm not that impressed with the phone and camera setup . Yes one lens is undeniably good but the other two I would never really use and although I have taken some great pictures with it I can't help feeling the S9+ would be just as good. Also the S9+ as a phone is much better than the P20 Pro and as I bought my handset used I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy the S9+ which was around the same price.

RiTCHiE007

Jun 22, 2011
I did some research before buying the P20 pro and this topic made me kinda scared but after getting my phone less then a week ago, i can say that the camera is really good! I came from a Oneplus 6 and a galaxy s7 before that and this camera is just amazing! I love all the extra features and while it might not be the best camera for video recording... i do think its the best camera for photography.

Also i think the pixel 2 is the better camera for point and shoot but the p20 pro is more flexable and it really shines when you get to know each lens its pro's and cons.

Reactions: shoobirdy

i.hearcolors

Oct 12, 2018
I cannot express how disappointed i am with the p20 pro. The pro and raw are it's only saviors the rest is utter ****e.
A four year old phone (Nexus 6 shamu) wipes the floor with this rag of a phone...enough before i have a nervous breakdown. What expectations i had....out the fu**ing window along with $800.

Theandroidfan

May 1, 2012
I honestly don't know why you guys have issues with the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_163537_526.jpg
    IMG_20181010_163537_526.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20181011_134345_134.jpg
    IMG_20181011_134345_134.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20181010_155715.jpg
    IMG_20181010_155715.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_20181011_164321.jpg
    IMG_20181011_164321.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: faier09 and subhani

subhani

Dec 9, 2010
dont worry mate,

the issues are those guys, not the camera, lol

just look at the guy posting above you. single and first post in xda. solely for complaining that his p20 pro take worst picture than nexus 6, can't be a better troll. :p
Yep. And no side by side comparison to evidence any of their claims. They are Samsung fanbois.

Latoc

Feb 17, 2010
I honestly don't know why you guys have issues with the camera.

It's because they only pixel peep, they don't look at the whole picture ;)

The colors and dynamic range of this phone are amazing. Yes, they are processed, but boy, do they look good.

I haven't had as many stunning pictures with any other phone. Ever.

Yes, my Pixel 2 takes more detailed photos and I prefer it for portraits of my daughter, but in every other case, I
prefer my P20 Pro.

And that 5x zoom... And that night mode !

It's a great camera.

For birthdays, I have my Canon camera with it's great 22mm f2 ;)

Latoc

Feb 17, 2010
A few pictures from last summer vacations in France...

Attachments

• ane.jpg
    ane.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 265
  • chat.jpg
    chat.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 257
  • tortue.jpg
    tortue.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 249
  • eiffel.jpg
    eiffel.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 273
  • pont.jpg
    pont.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 223
  • marina.jpg
    marina.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 253
  • paysage.jpg
    paysage.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 225
  • perigord.jpg
    perigord.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 225
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 215
  • mer.jpg
    mer.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 233

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What do u guys think of the camera?
    Compared it to the pixel 2 and seriously that damn hdr on the google side is just insane.
    P20 Pro loses alot of details even in normal shots.
    Even in night shots pixel 2 captures so many details.
    For some reason the ai also stands in the way, greenery mode especially cranks up the shadows and so many details are lost
    I am kinda disappointed in the camera department.
    Hopefully huawei will work on a better hdr in their future updates.
    Pixel 2 is still the king of smartphone photography, can only imagine what will happen if pixel 3 goes dual cameras.

Cant say that am agree with you,

And i own both phone.

You can go to this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/hu...uawei-p20-pro-share-fantastic-t3774488/page15 to read more discussion about camera.

Conclusion is. P20 Pro is not your another point and shoot kind of camera. Its more like a photographer tool. It give you best result when you play around the setting and willing to go through the learning curve of using various camera mode. Not a fully auto like in our pixel 2 :laugh:
    Just coming in on the end of this thread. I've had my P20 for about 6 weeks. I have an Olympus Pen F and a Fuji X70 for when I want to carry the heavier stuff around. When I first got my P20 I was a bit dismayed at the AI interference especially on greenery and foliage. But after 6 weeks a couple of updates I am well impressed. I did nearly return it at one point but so glad I didn't. I have spent hours comparing the P20 to the Pixel 2 is the odd occasion where the Pixel produces the nicer shot but there are hands down so many where the P20 excels. Once you get use the flexibility of the P20 it is pretty damn good and I have taken some incredibly good photos. I am also starting to wonder whether "machine learning" is playing a part in the processing improvement as my pics compared to 6 weeks ago are definitely much improved. The auto Hdr when it kicks in (even when AI is turned off) is very good and without a doubt exceeds the Pixel I low light and strong back light. The zoom 3x 5x are extremely good and the black and white detail is stunning. I have no complaints and on top of that it's a very good phone too - display (that you can see in strong sunlight unlike the pixel) is extremely good for non Quad HD, the battery life is exceptional and i find the performance lightning fast and 100% reliable. The Huawei skin is not too intrusive and it doesn't have Siri or Bixby!
    I purchased the P20 Pro specifically for the camera as I'm a professional photographer and want the best IQ out of my always with me smartphone camera. I have owned the P20 Pro for almost two months now and have seen a dramatic improvement in the camera software over that time. The initial, pre 107 firmware was terrible with regard to raw color vignetting and at first I was fairly disappointed. The 107 firmware corrected the raw color vignetting issue, though of course there is still the typical natural vignetting that occurs with a small lens and large sensor (and yes, often the sensor DOES affect vignetting due to how it receives non parallel light rays from the lens). So natural, non color shifting vignetting was not really a surprise and does not bother me at all. I'm very happy with the IQ from 40MP raw images now. It's not going to match my 36MP full frame camera in good light of course but for a smartphone, the P20 Pro is pretty amazing.
    Probably my biggest positive surprise with the P20 Pro (beyond the software capabilities of Night Mode) is the quality of the black & white camera. Really nice tonality, no doubt somewhat due to the Leica involvement.
    Anyway, I'm now on the 131 firmware and the additional improvements I would like to see are more user control over color saturation, noise reduction and sharpness (and I would also love to be able to tweak how the Master AI option deals with color and color saturation). For the B&W camera, I would really, really love a raw option as well as control of noise reduction and sharpness as I occasionally see where the very aggressive noise reduction completely smooths/ blurs very fine distant detail such as grass.
    As far as all the noise about the P20 Pro camera not being as good vs phone X, etc. I would say that there is a higher learning curve to getting the most out of the cameras in the P20 Pro. I see this as the best option for a more experienced user who is looking for the absolute best IQ available today out of a smartphone. For someone looking for the best, "no hassle" snapshots from a smartphone, there may be better options though that does seem to be improving with every firmware update of the P20 Pro.
    The camera in p20 pro is simply out of this world. I had tested iPhone and pixel previously..... Simply no match. Pro mode is fantastic and totaly full of options as a camera app.

Sent from my Huawei P20 PRO
    Just fantastic... IMG_20180624_011036.jpegIMG_20180620_200700.jpegIMG_20180620_213420.jpegIMG_20180617_202545.jpegIMG_20180615_130544.jpegIMG_20180615_130913.jpeg

Sent from my Huawei P20 PRO
    Hilarious to hear so many keyboard commanders complaining about the camera. No one drives a Toyota Camry and expects it to behave like a Lamborghini, so why would a camera phone be any different. You simply can't compare the P20 to an slr. Sure, there may be some simularities, but they can never be compared as equals. I myself, think that it's great for what it is, and with little bit of adjustment you can capture some really nice photos.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone