Question Who is pre ordering?

Search This thread

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Im coming from a z fold 3/ S22 ultra, wasnt planning on getting the 4 since the upgrades seemed very minor but i had some play time with it at Samsung and was surprised how much i liked it. Cameras are much improved especially the zoom (which was my big complaint on the 3 coming from the S21 ultra and 22 ultra).

Felt the decrease in weight and could actually notice the 3mm increase on the front screen. Figured im running out of storage on the 512gb fold 3 anyway so got the 1tb version.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Waiting for the Fold 4 512GB, GW5 Pro, and Buds 2 Pro to get here. Hopefully they come a few days early which is the typical. All showing an estimated delivery date of August 26th as of now with "Preorder" status and cancel button still available.

Reactions: mhtruth and force70

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Forget this. The xiaomi mi mix fold "2" is the one! How slim is this phone!? Damn.

In comparison the fold 4 looks prehistoric. I want to like Samsung again, but they're boring lately
Yeap. Samsung's been a dull knife for almost 3 years straight now. A lot of dropped balls.

No SD card expandable storage makes this device a no sale right off the get go.
If you have a 1tb one reloads will very time consuming if have a large database. Worse there's nothing to prevent data loss on the device if the OS crashes or if the phone gets mangled.
Samsung knew better... screw em.

Reactions: mhtruth and lawtq

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Forget this. The xiaomi mi mix fold "2" is the one! How slim is this phone!? Damn.

In comparison the fold 4 looks prehistoric. I want to like Samsung again, but they're boring lately
Sure, let me know when it comes with a warranty or support in the US and maybe I'll look. Also, what kind of water resistance does it have? Looks great but I need to know I won't have an issue especially since the Fold is what I use for work and the Pixel 6 Pro handles personal things.

Reactions: zapote21

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Sure, let me know when it comes with a warranty or support in the US and maybe I'll look. Also, what kind of water resistance does it have? Looks great but I need to know I won't have an issue especially since the Fold is what I use for work and the Pixel 6 Pro handles personal things.
IPx8, so there's that.
However it's battery is only a 100mAh larger than my N10+'s which easily get 11+hrs SOT. I highly doubt any of the Folds can survive 2+ years of heavy usage without major repairs (excluding normal battery replacement). Their track record in this regard sucks.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
IPx8, so there's that.
However it's battery is only a 100mAh larger than my N10+'s which easily get 11+hrs SOT. I highly doubt any of the Folds can survive 2+ years of heavy usage without major repairs (excluding normal battery replacement). Their track record in this regard sucks.
The Fold 4 does have IPx8, but my comments were in regards to the Xiaomi offering. I'm a little too aware of what the Fold has going for it. I've seen a vocal minority complaining about Folds on Reddit but I've also seen plenty of people with Fold 2's that are in use daily without any trouble. My Fold 3 is in perfect shape 1 year on.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The Fold 4 does have IPx8, but my comments were in regards to the Xiaomi offering. I'm a little too aware of what the Fold has going for it. I've seen a vocal minority complaining about Folds on Reddit but I've also seen plenty of people with Fold 2's that are in use daily without any trouble. My Fold 3 is in perfect shape 1 year on.
It's a leading edge technology that literally stretching the materials to their design limits.
In a prefect world this might work... the Fold's fail in a predictable pattern. When Samsung's QC is good its less. Samsung's QC isn't what is was 3 years ago though. Plenty of failures across the board, not just with the Folds. This may work in your favor. Samsung is desperate to make this design succeed.

All my old phones as old as 12 yo that are still fully functional in spite of a hard lives. The Folds are incapable of that without major repairs. This N10+ in my hands is almost 3 years old, it looks, feels and runs like new. It's always case protected; something that's hard to do with a foldable. It's projected service life is 2+ years more. So far I've seen nothing new that can effectively replace it. Google Android is also very much a large part of the problem since Android 11 it's been a scoped storage paranoid mess.

Xiaomi hasn't invested the time and money Samsung has although they may have learned from that. If Xiaomi isn't bragging about its IP rating it's for a reason...

lawtq

Oct 12, 2011
Huawei Mate X2
Go knock yourself out then. If you need those things, fair enough.

I want to like this, but the only real thing I'll notice are better cameras, rebadged fold 3. We just lapp it up every year. Lazy ahhhse Samsung, in the sense it's not different enough from its predecessor.

IWe all have different needs. If you've never gone fold before also, it'll be nice, after you've been resuscitated from the shock of that price

Reactions: blackhawk

lebigmac

Account currently disabled
Jan 31, 2017

I totally agree. Samsung is so boring! 🥱
I personally would NEVER BUY SAMSUNG! 📵

Samsung deliberately removed the real fastboot and replaced it with a fake empty one that doesn't even do anything. Samsung did this on purpose to annoy their users...:cautious:(n)
facepalm-picard.gif

Then Samsung force constant selinux enforcing down your throat and the only way to set it to permissive is by actually hacking into your kernel. Sounds like fun right? :poop:(n)
Every year Samsung force you to use AMOLED display which is suboptimal. Why not give your customers alternative display technology options such as IPS panel for instance? ⁉️
And if you are unlucky enough to get stuck in a very annoying and mysterious bootloop then as a new user you will have a hard time to get back out of it on a Samsung device. It's much easier to get out of bootloops on other manufacturer's devices (those with a real working fastboot).

That's why I prefer Xiaomi :love:(y) devices nowadays. Cheap price, good hardware, easy to unlock (1 week waiting time which is kind of annoying but still somewhat acceptable), easy to root and debloat and customize :D(y)
And with Xiaomi devices you can actually choose between OLED and IPS panels...
And the best part is : setenforce 0 actually works on Xiaomi devices! I know most Samsung folks can only dream of doing that (even as root!). No need to be jealous, just buy Xiaomi device next time! You won't regret it! ;)(y)
I know I always regret those damn Samsung devices...

Don't get me wrong the Samsung hardware is great (well minus the display) and their stock Android OS is rock solid if you ask me.
The only problem is Samsung has this policy of needlessly annoying their power users by adding all these useless protection features that nobody really needs. Why can't they be more like Xiaomi? 🙏

Conclusion: Xiaomi devices are much more developer friendly than Samsung devices.
There may be other good phone manufacturers out there but so far I've only tried Sony, HTC, Samsung and Xiaomi (in chronological order). Xiaomi is the clear winner for me by far. None of the others can even get close.
Just my 3 cents ;)(y)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Antyhaker
i'm not a developer or interested in rooting (anymore). trading in my Fold3 and S22 Ultra, for an unlocked 1TB Fold 4 and Watch5 Pro. The Fold3 was my personal device and the S22 Ultra is a (free to me) work phone. Employer is switching to iPhones and allowing Android users to keep their (work) Android devices or use a personal device for work (as long as it passes security checks). this is the perfect scenario for me, making my decision an easy one: Fold 4 with dual sim capabilities for $216.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
LOL, microSD card and headphone jack are EXTINCT. Yes they are NEVER coming back so we really need to stop beating that dead horse already! :p

The offshore devices are nice but what good are they if you cannot use the USA bands? Dealbreaker right there...

Some things I wish we had:

IR Blaster. Don't think it's ever coming back. It may be more of a regulatory thing than anything else.
S-pen included with internal storage like Note proper, right?
Periscope camera if not too bulky.

I thought the Fold 4 was getting UFS 4.0 storage?
Some sources indicate the Flip 4, like its predecessor, won't be getting WiFi 6E capability! That's madness if true. We recently updated our WiFi here to support this connectivity and the speed is superb. It was "maddening" to find my Flip 3 was getting under 1Gbps because there was no WiFi 6E. Yet the Fold 3 has it?!

I like the Flip 3 but I like the Fold 3 even better. $900 for the Flip3 is great trade in so of course I sprung for it. What I'm not thrilled about is the cost to jump to 1TB. If it had 16GB RAM like the S21 512GB then maybe. I dunno. I don't really need that much space on them as the video capture doesn't really need space (like the iPhone 13 Pro Max) so there's that.

At least we have esim now out of the box. Finally!

I may run caseless for a while too. The s-pen with case was "free" with the deal but ugh, so much bulk. I hate, HATE bulk. I buy these aramid thin ass covers for my devices. I see latercase already has it for preorder. I'm going to wait and get essentially the same thing off Amazon for half the price LOL!

Don't even dare mention how much I spend on phones!

I'm on the fence with the iphone 14 pro max in a few weeks. Got to see how much better the camera is going to be. But I read it's going to cost 15% more? WTF a 1TB 14 Pro Max is going to cost more than the Fold 4 MSRP (512GB). That's nuts. Lightning still Apple? USB 2.0 speed in 2022! Madness! At least it will have WiFi6E so airdrop to our NAS will be OK for time being. And I'm not a fan of the sideways exclamation point display cutout FFS! I have no problem losing FaceID for a power button FP reader. The ones on the Fold3 and Flip3 are FLAWLESS and super convenient IMHO.

Ok enough rambling on here. Clock is ticking. Need to start a preorder waiting room thread LOL!

Last edited:

Geekser

May 18, 2017
Milwaukee
ShimmeringGlass.com
I have a hard time staying away when Samsung has a new release, particularly a phone that appears to be as good as the Fold 4 is looking to be. I traded in my S22 Ultra and I am really happy with the Trade in Deal samsung offered....can't wait ..fingers crossed they ship early like they have usually done in the past...

TheDantee

Aug 20, 2016
Im coming from a z fold 3/ S22 ultra, wasnt planning on getting the 4 since the upgrades seemed very minor but i had some play time with it at Samsung and was surprised how much i liked it. Cameras are much improved especially the zoom (which was my big complaint on the 3 coming from the S21 ultra and 22 ultra).

Felt the decrease in weight and could actually notice the 3mm increase on the front screen. Figured im running out of storage on the 512gb fold 3 anyway so got the 1tb version.
Nice to see you here force I am on the fence of pre ordering not many deals in canada this time around.

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I would have bought the X fold 100% if 5g worked on rogers i Canada, much prefer its form factor and camera to the fold 3 or 4.
Nice to see you here force I am on the fence of pre ordering not many deals in canada this time around.
Been while thats for sure lol.

Yeah they really treat Canada like an afterthought, some great pre order options in the US but we get the shaft lol

Reactions: TheDantee

Antyhaker

Sep 8, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4

Yes, slim hehe But what about features? Wireless charging? IP rating? Inner screen front camera? Software (Xiaomi's support is poor)?

Do you prefer to buy a nice looking or functional device?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Samsung sells an S22 you can upgrade to if you are intimidated by the Fold. I envision one of my two devices always being a foldable at this point. These Samsung devices are definitely ready for prime-time in their 4th revision.
    I run two stock N10+'s for good reasons. Samsung has been dropping balls for nearly 3 years straight otherwise I would have a new flagship. The last N10+ was purchased new about 9 months ago. It has a better display (color rendering) , slimmer, weighs 30 gm less with a better display/bezel ratio and in spite of its smaller battery gets better SOT than the S22U.

Samsung's same tired story; it's all been fixed.
    Not. The plastics and adhesive systems are still barely up to the task. Might last a year or two in heavy use without repair. Samsung would love for you to buy a new phone every year.
    Samsung's and Google Android's* ongoing lack luster performance convinced me otherwise.

*I run Android 9 and 10, these will not be upgraded. Android 9 was Android's zenith, the N10+ was Samsung's to date. In 11 and 12 cpu cycle sucking scoped storage is fully active. I don't want a limping iPhone wannabe... with no expandable storage.

Against my better judgement, I bit even though the differences were minor and since the deals last year were better through Samsung. Hope I don't regret it.

I was really considering the Vivo Xfold instead but I could not pull the trigger on that one because of lack of Volte support here in the US on my carriers.

Yeap. Samsung's been a dull knife for almost 3 years straight now. A lot of dropped balls.

No SD card expandable storage makes this device a no sale right off the get go.
    If you have a 1tb one reloads will very time consuming if have a large database. Worse there's nothing to prevent data loss on the device if the OS crashes or if the phone gets mangled.
    Samsung knew better... screw em.