Question Who is upgrading to S23?

Search This thread

pesa44

Sep 26, 2015
I upgraded yesterday from Oneplus 7t which I had for more than 3 years to S23. I would not buy it fot the full price, but I traded it in for my secondary drawer phone Poco X3 Pro. I bought it for 260 dollars but with trade in bonuses they bought it from me for 300 dollars (1,5 year later, lol) and there were also the storage and student bonuses (which I am not, but my brother is) so I managed to cut the full price of 8/256 for 450 dollars which seemed reasonable. I wanted small phone with full package and plenty of update years so there was not really any other option.

So far very happy, but it will take like a week to fully customize it (I am a power user) and nevertheless I will have to wait anyway to use it fully, cause there is no official root yet.

Reactions: efkosk

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
I upgraded yesterday from Oneplus 7t which I had for more than 3 years to S23. I would not buy it fot the full price, but I traded it in for my secondary drawer phone Poco X3 Pro. I bought it for 260 dollars but with trade in bonuses they bought it from me for 300 dollars (1,5 year later, lol) and there were also the storage and student bonuses (which I am not, but my brother is) so I managed to cut the full price of 8/256 for 450 dollars which seemed reasonable. I wanted small phone with full package and plenty of update years so there was not really any other option.

So far very happy, but it will take like a week to fully customize it (I am a power user) and nevertheless I will have to wait anyway to use it fully, cause there is no official root yet.
I'm also a poweruser, I switched from a rooted Pixel7.
I can tell you that you don't need root on the S23.

Call recording - CSC change (samsung)
launcher management - Goodlock (samsung)
sideActions - buttons remap - power button included
AdGuard - the best adblocker

I spent some time with the Nova launcher - there is also a lag, but in the end I chose the OneUI launcher + goodlock option and everything is smooth. I love this phone.

pesa44

Sep 26, 2015
I'm also a poweruser, I switched from a rooted Pixel7.
I can tell you that you don't need root on the S23.

AdGuard - the best adblocker

I spent some time with the Nova launcher - there is also a lag, but in the end I chose the OneUI launcher + goodlock option and everything is smooth. I love this phone.
I like to use AFWall+ as my firewall in combination with VPN so there is no other way how to use both without root (other firewalls works on the same principle as VPNs so its vpn or firewall). AdGuard doesnt block adds in other apps so it would be to me for nothing cause I use Brave browser and there is already adblock inside for web browsing. Also I need DarQ for apps which does not support dark mode (as Messenger lite) and Tasker to utilize some auto actions. And also I would like to remove some of the Samsung bloatware so I am afraid I cannot fully utilize my S23 without root.

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
I like to use AFWall+ as my firewall in combination with VPN so there is no other way how to use both without root (other firewalls works on the same principle as VPNs so its vpn or firewall). AdGuard doesnt block adds in other apps so it would be to me for nothing cause I use Brave browser and there is already adblock inside for web browsing. Also I need DarQ for apps which does not support dark mode (as Messenger lite) and Tasker to utilize some auto actions. And also I would like to remove some of the Samsung bloatware so I am afraid I cannot fully utilize my S23 without root.
I deleted the bloatware via adb.
Adguard blocks ads in all applications.

CMC_PUBLIKUM

Jul 26, 2010
My girlfriend's 23+, 8GB/256 usually only has 3GB free (even with the recent apps empty) and if she uses the optimisation feature, it only shows Samsung apps and ends with a 3.1GB free...

Is it normal?

Thanks

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
That was the reaction to his signing

Screenshot_20230209_223549_Chrome.jpg

Adguard suits me perfectly, and I also use their VPN.
I love the nova launcher. I've been using it since HTC Evo 3d (since 2011).

But when you use gestures instead of 3 buttons, there is a significant lag when opening recent apps. I can't live with it.

CMC_PUBLIKUM

Jul 26, 2010
Which call recording do you use?

Didn't found "SideActions" and for what i read, it has to be from apkmirror.

There's any way to hide the apps from the app drawer that we already have on the home screen? Like it used to have with OxygenOS and Nova Launcher?
Is not for security reasons, only to not have "duplicates".

Other thing that Samsung could implement, and for what i read (never had a Galaxy) has been asked for a long time, is the option to choose between horizontal and vertical mode on the app drawer.

Thanks

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
Which call recording do you use?

Didn't found "SideActions," and for what i read, it has to be from apkmirror.

There's any way to hide the apps from the app drawer that we already have on the home screen? Like it used to have with OxygenOS and Nova Launcher?
Is not for security reasons, only to not have "duplicates".

Other thing that Samsung could implement, and for what i read (never had a Galaxy) has been asked for a long time, is the option to choose between horizontal and vertical mode on the app drawer.

Thanks
Native call recording was enabled after changing CSC to SEK.
Watch this:
+ I use the AutoSync app, which automatically synchronizes my calls to Google Drive.

Screenshot_20230209_234317_Call settings.jpg
Screenshot_20230209_234321_Call settings.jpg

Download SideActions on apk mirror, it is an app only for Samsungs and is not yet officially supported for S23, but it is fully functional. (that's why it's not on gplay)

Screenshot_20230209_234242_sideActions.jpg
Screenshot_20230209_234252_sideActions.jpg
Screenshot_20230209_234301_sideActions.jpg

I use the "home screen only" layout because I'm used to the swipe up to search function with the keyboard automatically opening. (only available without app drawer)

In the launcher settings, you have the option "hide icon"

Screenshot_20230209_233706_One UI Home.jpg

Goodlock from the Galaxy store allowed me to enlarge the grids up to 7x7 and I think the menu also offers the option of horizontal & vertical mod.

I hope I have helped you at least a little.

Last edited:

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
I also recommend the SoundAssistant application from GalaxyStore, which improves the volume control panel, especially with the function of quickly changing the bluetooth audio output (I love oneUI for this - one of the reasons why it was easier for me to leave the Google Pixel 7).

Screenshot_20230209_235655_One UI Home.jpg

Last edited:

Prakash_Raj

Apr 26, 2022
Upgrading from Realme GT 2 to S23.
12.8K Indian rupees for exchange which is very low so I'm selling the phone to a local dealer for 25K!

Morak75

I also recommend the SoundAssistant application from GalaxyStore, which improves the volume control panel, especially with the function of quickly changing the bluetooth audio output (I love oneUI for this - one of the reasons why it was easier for me to leave the Google Pixel 7).

View attachment 5832223
This addon is amazing! Thx for that.
I do miss the call recording option I had on my xiaomi even though I didn't use it a lot. But I'm not a fan of changing the csc, may modify the update, doesn't it?

Reactions: efkosk

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
This addon is amazing! Thx for that.
I do miss the call recording option I had on my xiaomi even though I didn't use it a lot. But I'm not a fan of changing the csc, may modify the update, doesn't it?
Everything works correctly, including updates, you do not void the warranty. You can always go back without a factory reset.
I use this method from Samsung S21,S22, Flip4... S23 :)

Morak75

I love the nova launcher. I've been using it since HTC Evo 3d (since 2011).

But when you use gestures instead of 3 buttons, there is a significant lag when opening recent apps. I can't live with it.
I don't like the gestures with back button being on the borders of the screen . I'm using gestures with 3 buttons hidden, far more practical) and not lag with it.
Did you try the nova launcher beta (v8) ? Maybe they fix that?
'coz normal one hasn't got an update since Dec 2021. (they got bought by branchmetrics since then... )

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
I don't like the gestures with back button being on the borders of the screen . I'm using gestures with 3 buttons hidden, far more practical) and not lag with it.
Did you try the nova launcher beta (v8) ? Maybe they fix that?
'coz normal one hasn't got an update since Dec 2021. (they got bought by branchmetrics since then... )
Yes, I tried but the lag is still there. I'm happy with the modified OneUI :)
Well thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S10e to S23.
    The S10e update cycle is ended and battery life is not great anymore.
    I'm upgrading from Pixel7 to S23
    I'm upgrading from Samsung S8
    I took the leap to upgrade despite the trashy trade-in amount, because my used S22 with paint-peel on bezels and micro-scratches on screen isn't going to fetch a good buyback price via third party vendors, and may be even lesser than what Samsung offer.

I hope S23's battery performance will be good enough for me to hold 3-4 years.

Edit: Got my sanity back, cancelled my pre-order, decided to save S$585 to spend it elsewhere.
    Pixel 5 to S23.