Question Who plans on rooting their Z Fold 4?

Do you plan on rooting your Z Fold 4?

• Total voters
Search This thread

crazyut

2Sim + 1 esim never works on Samsung - it's max 2 in total.
An article on sammobile.com stated it had 2 physical sim + 1 eSim (I would surmise that only 2 sims could be active).

Can you verify you could have 2 physical sims like does it have a dual sim card tray (like the a53 5g /ds model) and an in active eSIM or 1 physical active + 1 eSim active (and a 2nd physical sim not active)?

crazyut

An article on sammobile.com stated it had 2 physical sim + 1 eSim (I would surmise that only 2 sims could be active).

Can you verify you could have 2 physical sims like does it have a dual sim card tray (like the a53 5g /ds model) and an in active eSIM or 1 physical active + 1 eSim active (and a 2nd physical sim not active)?
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-z-fold4/specs/ (Samsung global)

• One Nano SIM and one eSIM
  • Two Nano SIMs and one eSIM
  • Two Nano SIMs

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Thank you for checking this. Whether I buy one depends on if it can be rooted, I guess UK ones should also have OEM unlock option
Not necessarily - UK operators and OEMs are no longer bound by EU regulation that mandates it - and guarantees unlock for us in Europe. You should check with someone who has one there...

BTW I unlocked the bootloader now, all good. Patched the AP just now and am about to flash it and get root - hopefully without surprises.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
@白い熊
Where did you find the fw? In Frija and samfirm reborn, the Fold4 does not find it at all.
Yes.

You have to run a legacy manual search. First I found the EU FW on samfirmware — then key in all the PDA etc IDs to Frija…

It'll then find it — and you can download.

Woohoo — no issues - everything works fine. I've never had it this quick and problem-less on Samsung - ever since the days of the first Note ! :O)

kaos_king

Sep 22, 2008
Not necessarily - UK operators and OEMs are no longer bound by EU regulation that mandates it - and guarantees unlock for us in Europe. You should check with someone who has one there...
Damn brexit. Hopefully someone from UK can let me know when they get theirs....please!
Woohoo — no issues - everything works fine. I've never had it this quick and problem-less on Samsung - ever since the days of the first Note ! :O)
🥳🎉 well done!

Reactions: 白い熊

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
And I've got root friends! Everything is fine, all works.

I think I might be the first — in da world! :O)
What model do you have and can you give me a list of bands your model supports? I ordered one straight from Samsung but I may be returning it and getting a rootable one... Just need to be sure I'll have the same coverage between the 2 phones..
Just looking to know what models are rootable so I can see if it's bands will work for my carriers
Please let me know and thanks for your time

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
What model do you have and can you give me a list of bands your model supports? I ordered one straight from Samsung but I may be returning it and getting a rootable one... Just need to be sure I'll have the same coverage between the 2 phones..
Just looking to know what models are rootable so I can see if it's bands will work for my carriers
Please let me know and thanks for your time
So I've been doing research on this since i started this thread.

SM-F936U(/1) - US model - Unrootable
SM-F936W - Canadian model - Unrootable
SM-F936N - South Korean model - Rootable
SM-F936B(/DS) - Global model - Rootable***

***B models purchased in UK are not guaranteed to get an unlocked bootloader due to brexit as noted by user @白い熊 and confirmed by @kaos_king

The global model has the bands most similar to the American one. The south Korean model doesn't use the same 5G bands used in america.

The only models I can find on ebay are are U and N. I'm trying to find somewhere that sells the B model that ships to America.

Edit: changing list of rootable models based on new reports from users.

Last edited:

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
So I've been doing research on this since i started this thread.

SM-F936U - US model - Unrootable
SM-F936N - South Korean model - Rootable
SM-F936B - Global model - Rootable

The global model has the bands most similar to the American one. The south Korean model doesn't use the same 5G bands used in america.

The only models I can find on ebay are are U and N. I'm trying to find somewhere that sells the B model that ships to America.
Please keep me posted it looks like I will be denying this package for an immediate refund and will be ordering a b ASAP if the bands match up. Going to try and find that out now
yea I'm going with global seems like the same bands

Last edited:

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Please keep me posted it looks like I will be denying this package for an immediate refund and will be ordering a b ASAP if the bands match up. Going to try and find that out now
If you find a trustworthy place thats selling the B model or international phones in general post it here. I'm looking too and haven't found anything. Might have to wait until after the 26th.

Reactions: cashmonkey

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Guys - you should realize - before you do what you're planning on - i.e. order from Europe somewhere and send to US - that it's very likely it ain't gonna work out too well for you in the long term.

Samsung uses region locking - quite aggressively - I think it's due to pressure from US operators. The B model says global but usually it means Europe - I've stumbled on this before.

So even if the store you buy from says it's "unblocked" - the way it's done is the phone has to be opened, set-up and an EU SIM inserted. Then it works for like 3 months I think. Or 4... Then you have to again insert an EU SIM and register on the network - and so on and so forth...

Search it and read up on it - a lot has been written on this - I think last I dealt with this stupidity was 2 or 3 years ago - since then it's been the same...

Sorry about this.

Unless it's changed somehow inbetween...

Reactions: Slicc98

cashmonkey

Jul 19, 2010
Can someone please confirm if SM-F936B works on T - Mobile in USA?

I ordered the USA unlocked model

However I would much rather get SM-F936B if I can root it.....

Should I cancel my order? Or will I not be able to use rooted SM-F936B
Guys - you should realize - before you do what you're planning on - i.e. order from Europe somewhere and send to US - that it's very likely it ain't gonna work out too well for you in the long term.

Samsung uses region locking - quite aggressively - I think it's due to pressure from US operators. The B model says global but usually it means Europe - I've stumbled on this before.

So even if the store you buy from says it's "unblocked" - the way it's done is the phone has to be opened, set-up and an EU SIM inserted. Then it works for like 3 months I think. Or 4... Then you have to again insert an EU SIM and register on the network - and so on and so forth...

Search it and read up on it - a lot has been written on this - I think last I dealt with this stupidity was 2 or 3 years ago - since then it's been the same...

Sorry about this.

Unless it's changed somehow inbetween...
Hello

Can you please let me know if that is really true or not?

I have t mobile USA and would like to ability to root phone. I don't mind getting the global version but if it doesn't work then I'd just stick to my USA variant pre order

Thanks

cashmonkey

Jul 19, 2010
You and me are in the same boat

Mine is arriving Tuesday and I am thinking about declining package and purchasing global version so I can root

However based on what the other guy said it might not be possible 👆, is that correct???

What are you gonna end up doing?

I'm not sure if I should take the risk of declining the order... Still debating..

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
However based on what the other guy said it might not be possible 👆, is that correct???

So I looked into it and I have found mixed answers. Samsung forums are a mess sometimes they say there is no region locks and other times says that all you need to do is make a 5 minute phone call in the intended region and that should permanently remove the region lock. However, there are reports of it randomly re-locking on people, but nothing I could find was recent though. I imagine that when the root process wipes the phone it possibly could relock the device. There is a very old, out of date magisk module to remove the region lock [XDA Link], but it probably doesn't work anymore

So far it looks like the best bet for us poor Americans is to buy a U model and hope those pay unlock services support the device at some point or start a community bounty and hope some big brain can find an exploit.

Either way it's a risky move and the choices are
  • Buy an import phone and risk getting region locked out killing all cell services.
  • Buy a US model and hope someone finds a way to unlock the bootloader.
  • Buy a different phone all together or don't buy anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry google translate.
    All 5 (3 rear and the 2 selfi cams) Cameras are working fine.
    Hard pass here. I was rooted for years on every phone up until about 5 or 6 years ago. I only stopped because I jumped over to LG when the V20 came out and started making themes for LG (rip) and thought that I should try to stay stock to ensure I would have the same experience as everyone else given I was putting the themes on Google play. I got used to it and didn't miss it because given LG had and still does have the most advanced theme system of any device with zero restrictions on what you can touch, I could simply add any mod to my theme and keep it stock. Keep in mind rooting was much simpler then and magisk was not yet a thing.
    Fast forward to 8 months ago I decided to root my pixel 6 pro and tinkered and honestly the fun just wasn't there for me anymore. Having to mess around constantly because of monthly updates or randomly losing root via magisk for no reason and having to mess with stuff to pass safety net or show official status on Google play became a nuisance for me. I guess I'm just over it now and couldn't be bothered. But I totally get why some may still want to and I'm all for it
    I got my samsung Fold 4 today :)
    I wanna root it, freeze some system-apps.
    Install Magisk, Zygisk, some modules.
    Can anybody explain the steps? Or point me in the right direction?
    I was used to use TWRP, flash custom rom, flash magisk, done...

Reading this thread doesn't make the steps clear for me.
    Please step-by-step (i know the basics).

EDIT:
    I'll edit this post and make it easier for others if possible and will make a new post with the needed links.

See here:

And I've got root friends! Everything is fine, all works.

I think I might be the first — in da world! :O)
    Yeah — that's OK, but it's there - it must be in Europe. Then you toggle it on, reboot to Download mode and it'll give you an option there to confirm bootloader unlock. In fact - could you do it?

Just toggle it on, reboot to Download - select fully unlock bootloader - and if there's the tricks from Samsung it'll say “Your camera is going to be disabled - please confirm…” You don't have to do it if you then don't want to , and nothitg'll happen - it'll just reboot.

At least you'd give me a piece of mind for one night - if it's there or not… :O)