Question Who plans on rooting their Z Fold 4?

Do you plan on rooting your Z Fold 4?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Smittyzz

Sep 16, 2011
You and me are in the same boat

Mine is arriving Tuesday and I am thinking about declining package and purchasing global version so I can root

However based on what the other guy said it might not be possible 👆, is that correct???

What are you gonna end up doing?

I'm not sure if I should take the risk of declining the order... Still debating..
Seriously tough decision..
I'm running a one plus 8 pro with zero issues right now, atnt and Verizon run flawlessly in this phone... So well I have 2 new backups lol
I've always been a phablent guy tho, with the mi mix 1, Sony Experia z ultra, I've always had a "poptart of a phone"
But these last 5 plus years I can't not root it.
I am one year into owning and operating my own business and I was going to switch to this for invoice and estimate purposed plus for gaming....
I may have to run 2 phones for a while...
My biggest things from root really are the chat head enabler, ad blocking, volume skip I have other crap pertaining root but, those are the 3 main things for me. I may see if I can find an app for the volume skip and see what that phones like with bubbles but man I can't stand bubbles 🙈

Update!
That video I guess is a way to enable chat heads, with my 15 day period I'm going to try like crazy to get the phone the way I want it or close enough! Chat heads is the biggest thing for me

Last edited:

cashmonkey

Jul 19, 2010
So I looked into it and I have found mixed answers. Samsung forums are a mess sometimes they say there is no region locks and other times says that all you need to do is make a 5 minute phone call in the intended region and that should permanently remove the region lock. However, there are reports of it randomly re-locking on people, but nothing I could find was recent though. I imagine that when the root process wipes the phone it possibly could relock the device. There is a very old, out of date magisk module to remove the region lock [XDA Link], but it probably doesn't work anymore

So far it looks like the best bet for us poor Americans is to buy a U model and hope those pay unlock services support the device at some point or start a community bounty and hope some big brain can find an exploit.

Either way it's a risky move and the choices are
  • Buy an import phone and risk getting region locked out killing all cell services.
  • Buy a US model and hope someone finds a way to unlock the bootloader.
  • Buy a different phone all together or don't buy anything.
Thank you for the update.

Yeah you have put the choices clearly on the options...

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and keep the USA variant for hopefully paid unlock root service.....

And if global variant does get available then I might sell it and buy that one.....

Reactions: Slicc98

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
So I looked into it and I have found mixed answers. Samsung forums are a mess sometimes they say there is no region locks and other times says that all you need to do is make a 5 minute phone call in the intended region and that should permanently remove the region lock. However, there are reports of it randomly re-locking on people, but nothing I could find was recent though. I imagine that when the root process wipes the phone it possibly could relock the device. There is a very old, out of date magisk module to remove the region lock [XDA Link], but it probably doesn't work anymore

So far it looks like the best bet for us poor Americans is to buy a U model and hope those pay unlock services support the device at some point or start a community bounty and hope some big brain can find an exploit.

Either way it's a risky move and the choices are
  • Buy an import phone and risk getting region locked out killing all cell services.
  • Buy a US model and hope someone finds a way to unlock the bootloader.
  • Buy a different phone all together or don't buy anything.
I can guarantee to you that it really used to work like this - with the 5 minute call, didn't have to be 5 min, just 5 seconds even - however it did NOT remove the lock forever - like I said, after like 4 months max it was back. I experienced it - I got a friend from outside Europe a Samsung Note, think three years ago, removed the lock thus myself, then sent it to him... And then that happened.

And then through some unofficial channels with Samsung other friends confirmed to me that this is how it is - and that it's never permanent. They told me - hey it's no big deal, just buy an EU SIM, make sure it's active and every three to four months when it gets blocked, stick it in and unblock the phone - phew... It was done shadily by Samsung and they never publicly confirmed it etc.

So, unless they quietly changed the practice - the same will happen to you. And I'm sure there is no way to find out officially - they will just tell you - no, no such thing...

So you probably just have to risk it and see if that's still how it is - I would bet they haven't changed this.

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
I can guarantee to you that it really used to work like this
Oh, I totally believe you dude. I just really had no idea about the region lock so thank you for letting us know you saved me about $1800 and a ton of head ache. It seems almost definite that even if the lock is deactivated using the call method it will re-activate during the root process.
Yeah you have put the choices clearly on the options...
Yeah I hate the options too but there isn't much else that can be done. I'll probably do the same thing as you; buy the US model on the pre-order deal, not open it, and sell it if no root comes out in the first month or 2 and hopefully break even.

robsmith11

Jul 20, 2018
How does the region locking work in other countries? If I buy the phone from a Samsung store in Singapore or Indonesia, surely it will work fine there without a EU sim card despite being a global model.

kaos_king

Sep 22, 2008
Yeah — that's OK, but it's there - it must be in Europe. Then you toggle it on, reboot to Download mode and it'll give you an option there to confirm bootloader unlock. In fact - could you do it?

Just toggle it on, reboot to Download - select fully unlock bootloader - and if there's the tricks from Samsung it'll say “Your camera is going to be disabled - please confirm…” You don't have to do it if you then don't want to , and nothitg'll happen - it'll just reboot.

At least you'd give me a piece of mind for one night - if it's there or not… :O)
I've just received mine (SM-936B), but I'm having issues unlocking the bootloader. The OEM Unlocking option wasn't there in developer options and so I've followed the fix by changing the date (method 1 from HERE). Then the option was showing and so I ticked it, but when going to download mode (via powering off, pressing vol up and vol down, and plugging in the cable) there is no option to long press volume up to unlock, like I expected. When I boot back into the system, the OEM unlock has gone again. If I put the settings back that I changed, reboot, and then go back through method 1 I get the option again and it's still enabled.

Do you know what I need to do to get the option in download mode?

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
I've just received mine (SM-936B), but I'm having issues unlocking the bootloader. The OEM Unlocking option wasn't there in developer options and so I've followed the fix by changing the date (method 1 from HERE). Then the option was showing and so I ticked it, but when going to download mode (via powering off, pressing vol up and vol down, and plugging in the cable) there is no option to long press volume up to unlock, like I expected. When I boot back into the system, the OEM unlock has gone again. If I put the settings back that I changed, reboot, and then go back through method 1 I get the option again and it's still enabled.

Do you know what I need to do to get the option in download mode?
What country are you in? Which country is the phone from?

kaos_king

Sep 22, 2008
What country are you in? Which country is the phone from?

UK & UK. Its currently set back to default (i.e., automatic date/time, auto update system on, and auto download over wi-fi) and after a reboot the OEM option is there, but if I come out and back into dev options, its gone again.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Like I said - this is probably some foul play by UK Samsung - they don't have to give you unlock, since not EU - so I'm not surprised really.

I'd try - if you hadn't - authenticate to a UK operator by inserting a UK SIM, then see if OEM unlock is present in Dev options - then try rebooting to Download mode and see if it's there.

If no go - just try once rebooted to Download mode - long-hold the Vol Up key - since that's how it's confirmed, just on the off-chance that it's there, just somehow not reported...

I'd try it - but I wouldn't hold my breath. It really might be that you've been screwed by Brexit effects thus...

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
Oh - and for all who doubt it - a SM-936B doesn't mean Global model - Samsung just means that hardware-wise it's the same globally.

But a UK SM-936B will differ from an EU SM-936B and any others - that's why the mess-up there.

In this rooting effect - really the only safe haven that I'm aware of is EU - but the phone you buy must be a legit official EU model, not a grey import...

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
@白い熊
When I rooted my fold4, the flash process wipe all my data (wasn't bad, wasn't set up yet), is it now with every fw update, all data is deleted?

kaos_king

Sep 22, 2008
Like I said - this is probably some foul play by UK Samsung - they don't have to give you unlock, since not EU - so I'm not surprised really.

I'd try - if you hadn't - authenticate to a UK operator by inserting a UK SIM, then see if OEM unlock is present in Dev options - then try rebooting to Download mode and see if it's there.

If no go - just try once rebooted to Download mode - long-hold the Vol Up key - since that's how it's confirmed, just on the off-chance that it's there, just somehow not reported...

I'd try it - but I wouldn't hold my breath. It really might be that you've been screwed by Brexit effects thus...

I've put the sim in and rebooted, unfortunately the option is still not there in download mode. It seems the OEM unlock option is time based after the reboot, its there for a short time straight after the reboot but if I wait too long its gone. It is still checked though each time I see it.

Yeah I tried just holding vol+up on the off chance it would work, no joy :(

Oh - and for all who doubt it - a SM-936B doesn't mean Global model - Samsung just means that hardware-wise it's the same globally.

But a UK SM-936B will differ from an EU SM-936B and any others - that's why the mess-up there.

In this rooting effect - really the only safe haven that I'm aware of is EU - but the phone you buy must be a legit official EU model, not a grey import...
Damn okay, I didn't know that, I thought I would have been fine as long as it was a SM-F936B.

Holding onto the idea that I can still do it, do you think it would help if I flashed the EU firmware, or maybe factory reset? (I don't know what difference this could make but I wouldn't want to give up yet)

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
I've put the sim in and rebooted, unfortunately the option is still not there in download mode. It seems the OEM unlock option is time based after the reboot, its there for a short time straight after the reboot but if I wait too long its gone. It is still checked though each time I see it.

Yeah I tried just holding vol+up on the off chance it would work, no joy :(

Damn okay, I didn't know that, I thought I would have been fine as long as it was a SM-F936B.

Holding onto the idea that I can still do it, do you think it would help if I flashed the EU firmware, or maybe factory reset? (I don't know what difference this could make but I wouldn't want to give up yet)
Try the FW flash, you can hope - but I doubt it'll work - I'd just return it ang get an EU one - but you're gonna be stuck in the EU SIM game most probably... Damn...

EDIT: there's no FW flashing with a locked BL - you're outta luck... Just return it...

Last edited:

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
@白い熊
When I rooted my fold4, the flash process wipe all my data (wasn't bad, wasn't set up yet), is it now with every fw update, all data is deleted?
It's not the "rooting process" per se - it's the bootloader unlock. When you unlock it always erases all data - that's why it's a killer and an incredibly stupid thing to have phones without an external SD card...

Anyhow any future firmware flash can be done without /data format. You have to realize once you root - there will be no auto FW updates if that's what you mean...

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
Yes, I patched the entire ap zip file and then only flashed the fake ap zip file and then I had to set it up again completely, the welcome screen came up.

白い熊

Aug 29, 2011
相撲道
So you're saying you patched the EU AP with Magisk - didn't finish OEM unlock - and it boots and is rooted?

Can you describe the full process and exact steps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry google translate.
    All 5 (3 rear and the 2 selfi cams) Cameras are working fine.
    Hard pass here. I was rooted for years on every phone up until about 5 or 6 years ago. I only stopped because I jumped over to LG when the V20 came out and started making themes for LG (rip) and thought that I should try to stay stock to ensure I would have the same experience as everyone else given I was putting the themes on Google play. I got used to it and didn't miss it because given LG had and still does have the most advanced theme system of any device with zero restrictions on what you can touch, I could simply add any mod to my theme and keep it stock. Keep in mind rooting was much simpler then and magisk was not yet a thing.
    Fast forward to 8 months ago I decided to root my pixel 6 pro and tinkered and honestly the fun just wasn't there for me anymore. Having to mess around constantly because of monthly updates or randomly losing root via magisk for no reason and having to mess with stuff to pass safety net or show official status on Google play became a nuisance for me. I guess I'm just over it now and couldn't be bothered. But I totally get why some may still want to and I'm all for it
    I got my samsung Fold 4 today :)
    I wanna root it, freeze some system-apps.
    Install Magisk, Zygisk, some modules.
    Can anybody explain the steps? Or point me in the right direction?
    I was used to use TWRP, flash custom rom, flash magisk, done...

Reading this thread doesn't make the steps clear for me.
    Please step-by-step (i know the basics).

EDIT:
    I'll edit this post and make it easier for others if possible and will make a new post with the needed links.

See here:

And I've got root friends! Everything is fine, all works.

I think I might be the first — in da world! :O)
    Yeah — that's OK, but it's there - it must be in Europe. Then you toggle it on, reboot to Download mode and it'll give you an option there to confirm bootloader unlock. In fact - could you do it?

Just toggle it on, reboot to Download - select fully unlock bootloader - and if there's the tricks from Samsung it'll say “Your camera is going to be disabled - please confirm…” You don't have to do it if you then don't want to , and nothitg'll happen - it'll just reboot.

At least you'd give me a piece of mind for one night - if it's there or not… :O)