Question Who plans on rooting their Z Fold 4?

Do you plan on rooting your Z Fold 4?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Negan

Forum Moderator / Recognized Themer
Staff member
Hard pass here. I was rooted for years on every phone up until about 5 or 6 years ago. I only stopped because I jumped over to LG when the V20 came out and started making themes for LG (rip) and thought that I should try to stay stock to ensure I would have the same experience as everyone else given I was putting the themes on Google play. I got used to it and didn't miss it because given LG had and still does have the most advanced theme system of any device with zero restrictions on what you can touch, I could simply add any mod to my theme and keep it stock. Keep in mind rooting was much simpler then and magisk was not yet a thing.
Fast forward to 8 months ago I decided to root my pixel 6 pro and tinkered and honestly the fun just wasn't there for me anymore. Having to mess around constantly because of monthly updates or randomly losing root via magisk for no reason and having to mess with stuff to pass safety net or show official status on Google play became a nuisance for me. I guess I'm just over it now and couldn't be bothered. But I totally get why some may still want to and I'm all for it

NYCgirl

Dec 20, 2014
New York
Privacy, privacy, privacy
The key reason for rooting is the tremendous amount of data collected about us from our trackers, aka phones. I don't know of a better way to protect our privacy.

Example: the app of Tim Horton, a popular Canadian coffee chain "used location data to infer where users lived, where they worked, and whether they were traveling. It generated an 'event' every time users entered or left a Tim Hortons competitor, a major sports venue, or their home or workplace."

With rooting, you can limit which data apps can access.

Last edited:

zapote21

Aug 18, 2009
Tampa, FL
Agree with some users on here. I rooted every phone and installed Cyanogen and modded the crap out of every single phone since the G1. But havent in years. Just no need anymore. Was fun when I needed to take a screen shot or something, but now its just too much work for the few benefits. And then I have to deal with Gpay or Samsung pay not working...
But hey, good on the ones that still do. Just not for me anymore

mastrok

Mar 23, 2018
OnePlus 7T Pro
One final comment on this topic then i will STFU.... Look at the poll results at the top of the page...

58.5% of responders will NOT root their Fold4, 28.3% will. It seems the majority of smartphone owners no longer root their device.
This guy likes hopping into root-related topics and fighting with root-interested people about how to root is not a thing anymore for him. I don't get what he wants here. he should be not on XDA modification topics, he should go to other social topics. weeh, he is a hassle man, everytime I check a root tutorial or something he must be destroying the topic by fighting with someone that root is not important to him. which clearly nobody cares about his own opinion...

Last edited:
Reactions: -MrMM-

dezborders

Jun 23, 2010
Glasgow
This guy likes hopping into root-related topics and fighting with root-interested people about how to root is not a thing anymore for him. I don't get what he wants here. he should be not on XDA modification topics, he should go to other social topics. weeh, he is a hassle man, everytime I check a root tutorial or something he must be destroying the topic by fighting with someone that root is not important to him. which clearly nobody cares about his own opinion...
My "problem" is most rooters I have chatted to seem to prize highest of all the system wide ad blocking.
e.g. Watching youtube free without ads. (instead of paying for YT Premium)
Depriving app vendors and service providers with ad-click revenue - and resulting in higher subscription prices for the rest of us.
Basically STEALING income form YT channels, social media influencers and app vendors who rely on ad based income. Boo.

All I ask of the pro rooting community is that you give an open and unbiased guidance of the pros AND cons to the OP. But rooters NEVER do this ... they dont mention warranty void thru knox tripping, or loss of proper OTA updates or that some apps stop working if they detect root.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: -MrMM-

dezborders

Jun 23, 2010
Glasgow
me 2, the CIA is looking for me
What you think youtube would do if everyone used system wide ad blocking.... go bust? nope. go after the cheats and stealers. yip.

me 2, the CIA is looking for me
Not even denying that ad free id the #1 benefit for a rooted phone for you? sad sad guys. Cheap [email protected] if you are honest.
If enough ppl deprive youtube of ad-based revenue maybe the CIA WILL be looking for you someday in the near future.

Last edited:

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
My "problem" is most rooters I have chatted to seem to prize highest of all the system wide ad blocking.

you know you dont need root for this? no one prioritizes these things for root because root access is unnecessary for ad blocking. adgaurd DNS and newpipe for youtube both running right now on my locked down fold.
Basically STEALING income form YT channels, social media influencers and app vendors who rely on ad based income. Boo.
lol yup it's totally stealing to access a publicly available server and only download the information I want. ad blocking is not illegal. It is within my legal right to filter the content that goes on my network. please see the yt-dl DCMA controversy as an example.

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What you think youtube would do if everyone used system wide ad blocking.... go bust? nope. go after the cheats and stealers. yip.

Not even denying that ad free id the #1 benefit for a rooted phone for you? sad sad guys. Cheap [email protected] if you are honest.
If enough ppl deprive youtube of ad-based revenue maybe the CIA WILL be looking for you someday in the near future.
Eh...They'll probably just make it harder for people to block ads. But you do have a point...the best way to get on a corporation's bad side is to get between them and their money. Just look at what happened to PayPal on the stock market today, and how quickly they backpedaled on their controversial policy.

Usually I'd just shake my head at the CIA comment but it wouldn't be the first time an organ of the government is misused...

Just keep it civil, folks.

dezborders

Jun 23, 2010
Glasgow
you know you dont need root for this? no one prioritizes these things for root because root access is unnecessary for ad blocking. adgaurd DNS and newpipe for youtube both running right now on my locked down fold.

lol yup it's totally stealing to access a publicly available server and only download the information I want. ad blocking is not illegal. It is within my legal right to filter the content that goes on my network. please see the yt-dl DCMA controversy as an example.
Totally agree that yes you dont NEED to root to get ad-free apps and media you just have to pay for the service like any decent person would.. This is my problem with the rooters contributing to this thread... getting system wide ad-free for FREE is the #1 "positive" they keep quoting.

dezborders

Jun 23, 2010
Glasgow
Usually I'd just shake my head at the CIA comment but it wouldn't be the first time an organ of the government is misused...

Just keep it civil, folks.
To be fair it wasnt me who first mentioned the CIA ... but i agree the conversation did get over heated.
root if you want to, dont root if you dont want to.
subject closed (for me). ;)

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Totally agree that yes you dont NEED to root to get ad-free apps and media you just have to pay for the service like any decent person would..
Thats literally the opposite of what i said. You never need to pay for an ad free expirence and you don't need a rooted device to do it. Unless you're modding an app with lucky patcher you don't need root or to ever pay for any digital service.

My new fold is not rooted and yet i have system wide ad blocking and get all my content for free.

Your issue here is with the piracy community not the rooting community. Sometimes there is overlap. However, rooting has nothing to do with what youre talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: crawls69

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
I rest my case. Why not pay for ad free services like any decent person does?
Why would I pay money, like a fool, for something that is free?

I dont understand it. You're asking why I don't want to give money every month to incredibly rich, profitable, and powerful corporatations in exchange for an overall worse expirence than my current setup? Why would I do that? And on top of that no matter how much money I give to as many corpos as I can afford I would still get ads in some places and all the intrusive tracking that comes along with that.

I guess the old saying is true. "A fool and their money are soon parted"

Last edited:

plee85

Jan 8, 2011
do you all have no problems with the camera once you unlock your bootloader? I tried rooting mine, even though it works, but my camera was disabled. I had to reflash the firmware and relock the bootloader to regain the camera function...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry google translate.
    All 5 (3 rear and the 2 selfi cams) Cameras are working fine.
    Hard pass here. I was rooted for years on every phone up until about 5 or 6 years ago. I only stopped because I jumped over to LG when the V20 came out and started making themes for LG (rip) and thought that I should try to stay stock to ensure I would have the same experience as everyone else given I was putting the themes on Google play. I got used to it and didn't miss it because given LG had and still does have the most advanced theme system of any device with zero restrictions on what you can touch, I could simply add any mod to my theme and keep it stock. Keep in mind rooting was much simpler then and magisk was not yet a thing.
    Fast forward to 8 months ago I decided to root my pixel 6 pro and tinkered and honestly the fun just wasn't there for me anymore. Having to mess around constantly because of monthly updates or randomly losing root via magisk for no reason and having to mess with stuff to pass safety net or show official status on Google play became a nuisance for me. I guess I'm just over it now and couldn't be bothered. But I totally get why some may still want to and I'm all for it
    I got my samsung Fold 4 today :)
    I wanna root it, freeze some system-apps.
    Install Magisk, Zygisk, some modules.
    Can anybody explain the steps? Or point me in the right direction?
    I was used to use TWRP, flash custom rom, flash magisk, done...

Reading this thread doesn't make the steps clear for me.
    Please step-by-step (i know the basics).

EDIT:
    I'll edit this post and make it easier for others if possible and will make a new post with the needed links.

See here:

And I've got root friends! Everything is fine, all works.

I think I might be the first — in da world! :O)
    Yeah — that's OK, but it's there - it must be in Europe. Then you toggle it on, reboot to Download mode and it'll give you an option there to confirm bootloader unlock. In fact - could you do it?

Just toggle it on, reboot to Download - select fully unlock bootloader - and if there's the tricks from Samsung it'll say “Your camera is going to be disabled - please confirm…” You don't have to do it if you then don't want to , and nothitg'll happen - it'll just reboot.

At least you'd give me a piece of mind for one night - if it's there or not… :O)