Question Who plans on rooting their Z Fold 4?

Do you plan on rooting your Z Fold 4?

• Total voters
Search This thread

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
I havent rooted a samsung phone for a decade... I have never jailbroke an iphone. I no longer see the point in root a phone.
(I do unlock bootloader on Xiaomi CN ROM phones and flash the EU Rom... but those ROMs are not rooted by default).
This is wild to me. I have tried to root and jailbreak every device I own. I find it so hard to use the device in such confined ways. Even the principal of a company telling you that you can't have access to root or superuser level privileges on a device you own should be enough to make you want to it.

Reasons I personally can't live without root:

Having the ability to restrict apps access to application lists, clipboards, device identifiers, and more. XPrivacyLua

Being able to use my hotspot unrestricted by carrier limitations by routing it through the VPN. VPN hotspot on fdroid

Enable native call recording. Samsung has call recording enabled for most of the rest of the world but refuses to release it to USA. Magisk modules

Reactions: MINISPOON939
This is wild to me. I have tried to root and jailbreak every device I own. I find it so hard to use the device in such confined ways. Even the principal of a company telling you that you can't have access to root or superuser level privileges on a device you own should be enough to make you want to it.

Having the ability to restrict apps access to application lists, clipboards, device identifiers, and more. XPrivacyLua

Being able to use my hotspot unrestricted by carrier limitations by routing it through the VPN. VPN hotspot on fdroid

Enable native call recording. Samsung has call recording enabled for most of the rest of the world but refuses to release it to USA. Magisk modules
Ha ha ... 10 years ago I was YOU and every phone I owned got rooted. No exceptions

Then I realised I could do everything that I wanted to do with apps from play store and didn't need to root (for my needs)

In not saying anyone in XDA is wrong to root it's your choice

For me I grew out of it and like 999 of 1000 smartphone owners they just use what's provided by the manufacturer and download an app to fill in the functionality gaps

Enjoy your God given right to root my friend !

Me... I'm ' over ' rooting and I prefer my phone vanilla and with warranty intact :)

Permissions in android 12 already has most of your rooted app permissions

Hotspot restrictions by carrier must be a USA only thing it's generally unrestricted here in UK :)

Call recording ... Hmm a big can of worms to discuss. Samsung disabled call recording (or network carrier does so) usually because of local laws prohibiting call recording. Huge can of worms in my next question to you ... WHY does the average person want or need to record calls AND do you clearly notify each and every person or organisation you talk to that you will be recording the conversation (it's illegal in UK not to notify the other party or record without their agreement )
But again WHY do you want to record calls on a personal device? Lol

Reasons not to root
1. Some apps like banking apps won't run on a rooted device
2. Warranty void when a rooted or bootloader unlocked device is detected
3. Potential/increased security risks of root level access being inherited by 3rd party apps on the device
4. I can see absolutely no need or benefit to my own personal phone usage to root

Root or don't root friend it's your device do with it what you want to ... All the best :)

Reactions: stokon

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Ha ha ... 10 years ago I was YOU and every phone I owned got rooted. No exceptions

Then I realised I could do everything that I wanted to do with apps from play store and didn't need to root (for my needs)

In not saying anyone in XDA is wrong to root it's your choice

For me I grew out of it and like 999 of 1000 smartphone owners they just use what's provided by the manufacturer and download an app to fill in the functionality gaps

Enjoy your God given right to root my friend !

Me... I'm ' over ' rooting and I prefer my phone vanilla and with warranty intact :)

Permissions in android 12 already has most of your rooted app permissions

Hotspot restrictions by carrier must be a USA only thing it's generally unrestricted here in UK :)

Call recording ... Hmm a big can of worms to discuss. Samsung disabled call recording (or network carrier does so) usually because of local laws prohibiting call recording. Huge can of worms in my next question to you ... WHY does the average person want or need to record calls AND do you clearly notify each and every person or organisation you talk to that you will be recording the conversation (it's illegal in UK not to notify the other party or record without their agreement )
But again WHY do you want to record calls on a personal device? Lol

Reasons not to root
1. Some apps like banking apps won't run on a rooted device
2. Warranty void when a rooted or bootloader unlocked device is detected
3. Potential/increased security risks of root level access being inherited by 3rd party apps on the device
4. I can see absolutely no need or benefit to my own personal phone usage to root

Root or don't root friend it's your device do with it what you want to ... All the best :)
There are no permissions in A12 that help you protect application lists, network information, sensor data, unique device identifiers, device analytics, and a lot more.

Yeah in US they like to charge extra or throttle hotspot data. But data is data what does it matter to the carrier if it's being using by a phone or computer. So you force the hotspot data through your VPN so they can't know.

It is legal to record calls in all of the US. There are only 9 states require you to notify the other party and if you're calling from outside those states it doesn't matter to you. Also I do it for a lot of reasons from trying to recall what people have told me to using it for work. It shouldn't matter why though I'd just like to have basic features.

1.) I've personally never had any banking app not work because of root.
2.)It's illegal to void warrenty over a modification in the US unless they can prove your modification caused the problem.
3.)Actually rooting can help you improve your devices security because you can patch flaws or disable flawed systems before an update is pushed. Just don't give superuser privileges to random programs and your phone is just as secure as a non rooted device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrudvangar
There are no permissions in A12 that help you protect application lists, network information, sensor data, unique device identifiers, device analytics, and a lot more.

Yeah in US they like to charge extra or throttle hotspot data. But data is data what does it matter to the carrier if it's being using by a phone or computer. So you force the hotspot data through your VPN so they can't know.

It is legal to record calls in all of the US. There are only 9 states require you to notify the other party and if you're calling from outside those states it doesn't matter to you. Also I do it for a lot of reasons from trying to recall what people have told me to using it for work. It shouldn't matter why though I'd just like to have basic features.

1.) I've personally never had any banking app not work because of root.
2.)It's illegal to void warrenty over a modification in the US unless they can prove your modification caused the problem.
3.)Actually rooting can help you improve your devices security because you can patch flaws or disable flawed systems before an update is pushed. Just don't give superuser privileges to random programs and your phone is just as secure as a non rooted device.
Well all things considered I prefer the UK laws preventing illicit recording of calls, banking apps that won't run on modified mobile rom and I can live with the voiding of warranty for unlocking bootloader and rooting of mobile devices ... It's all done in the name of safety and personal security

One nations right to bear arms and civil liberties above the safety of the population is the rest of the world's worst nightmare of a way of life.

Root of you wish to. I choose not to

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Well all things considered I prefer the UK laws preventing illicit recording of calls, banking apps that won't run on modified mobile rom and I can live with the voiding of warranty for unlocking bootloader and rooting of mobile devices ... It's all done in the name of safety and personal security

One nations right to bear arms and civil liberties above the safety of the population is the rest of the world's worst nightmare of a way of life.

Root of you wish to. I choose not to
I feel like you're missing my point entirely. You can't choose to do whatever you want because samsung took the option away. I can tell you for a fact it's not for security reasons.

It's so strange to me that you think recording your phone calls is illicit (or conflating call recording to bearing guns). Or you think your banking apps are any different from ours. (there isn't any app that you can't hide root from, except system apps). Or that you think having an unlocked bootloader or access to superuser privileges makes your device less secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smittyzz

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com
I feel like you're missing my point entirely. You can't choose to do whatever you want because samsung took the option away. I can tell you for a fact it's not for security reasons.

It's so strange to me that you think recording your phone calls is illicit (or conflating call recording to bearing guns). Or you think your banking apps are any different from ours. (there isn't any app that you can't hide root from, except system apps). Or that you think having an unlocked bootloader or access to superuser privileges makes your device less secure.
Rooting doesn't make your phone less se ure, agreed, it does however make it less easily updatable (automatic etc) so zero/one day exploits have a chance of living longer on the device. All apps can be hidden, yes, but tell that to someone that uses Sky Go apps in thee UK, just keeping that working is more hassle than root is worth. All my day to day devices haven't been rooted in ages, s7 I think was last one, or maybe nexus 6p.

Just having access to Google wallet, and banking apps etc without having to fight my device is worth the not rooting for. Pretty much nothing that I need root for any more anyhow

Reactions: dezborders

I can prevent any app - eg facebook - from running in the background,, accessing camera, microphone, gps, phone, sms, and numerous more permissions with standard Samsung UI. Admittedly I can control many more permissions on an Xiaomi 12s Ultra. Point is all the main ones are catered for,

What comes across to me as ironic and inconsistent is that you demand the right to stop 3rd party apps accessing your data and using your device sensors yet you also demand the right (and think its morally OK) to record calls without informing the people you talk to. I bet you'd be in the street demonstrating and raising class-actions if the US Gov was listenting into all your communications without justification?

I can assure you that some banking apps in UK will not run (HSBC, First Direct and others) if they detect TWRP or root on the device.
Whether the banks are right or wrong to consider the device less secure for being rooted is open for discussion... but in the UK they wont allow their apps to run on the device and thats the end of that... if i root my device i cant run certain banking apps. Frustrating.. First Direct also wont allow their app to run on an iphone with beta software - not even rooted / jailbroken.

You mentioned in a previous post that you need root to fix some security issues or bugs... i assume you meant where the manufacturer had ended support for said device? If thats the case then there are 100s of devices supported on XDA with custom ROMS that offer OS versions and latest security patches on devices the manufacturer has dropped support... almost all of the custom ROMs on XDA can run without root and root is an option not a requirement.

So getting back to the original OP question. Do i plan to root my Fold4? No. never.

I don't need or want to record calls (and i consider it to be morally wrong to do it on the fly without full disclosure),
I dont need to bypass network provider restrictions on hotspot use as in the UK its not a problem.
I DO need access to my banking apps and other 3rd party apps that wont run (in UK) on a rooted device.
I am perfectly happy with the level of app-permissions control Samsung gives me and wth their guaranteed 4 years of OS upgrades and security patches... My Fold4 4 will have been sold on and replaced long before Samsung's 4 years support has expired.

One final comment on this topic then i will STFU.... Look at the poll results at the top of the page...
58.5% of responders will NOT root their Fold4, 28.3% will. It seems the majority of smartphone owners no longer root their device.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_ape

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
I can prevent any app - eg facebook - from running in the background,, accessing camera, microphone, gps, phone, sms, and numerous more permissions with standard Samsung UI. Admittedly I can control many more permissions on an Xiaomi 12s Ultra. Point is all the main ones are catered for,

What comes across to me as ironic and inconsistent is that you demand the right to stop 3rd party apps accessing your data and using your device sensors yet you also demand the right (and think its morally OK) to record calls without informing the people you talk to. I bet you'd be in the street demonstrating and raising class-actions if the US Gov was listenting into all your communications without justification?

I can assure you that some banking apps in UK will not run (HSBC, First Direct and others) if they detect TWRP or root on the device.
Whether the banks are right or wrong to consider the device less secure for being rooted is open for discussion... but in the UK they wont allow their apps to run on the device and thats the end of that... if i root my device i cant run certain banking apps. Frustrating.. First Direct also wont allow their app to run on an iphone with beta software - not even rooted / jailbroken.

You mentioned in a previous post that you need root to fix some security issues or bugs... i assume you meant where the manufacturer had ended support for said device? If thats the case then there are 100s of devices supported on XDA with custom ROMS that offer OS versions and latest security patches on devices the manufacturer has dropped support... almost all of the custom ROMs on XDA can run without root and root is an option not a requirement.

So getting back to the original OP question. Do i plan to root my Fold4? No. never.

I don't need or want to record calls (and i consider it to be morally wrong to do it on the fly without full disclosure),
I dont need to bypass network provider restrictions on hotspot use as in the UK its not a problem.
I DO need access to my banking apps and other 3rd party apps that wont run (in UK) on a rooted device.
I am perfectly happy with the level of app-permissions control Samsung gives me and wth their guaranteed 4 years of OS upgrades and security patches... My Fold4 4 will have been sold on and replaced long before Samsung's 4 years support has expired.

One final comment on this topic then i will STFU.... Look at the poll results at the top of the page...
58.5% of responders will NOT root their Fold4, 28.3% will. It seems the majority of smartphone owners no longer root their device.
And again you missed my point entirely. It has nothing about what you do with your personal device. I understand you don't need to root your device and I am not trying to convince you otherwise. I'm just just telling you what I use it for because you asked. It's your device and you should be allowed to do what you want to it, we agree here. But phone makers take that option away from you for monetary gains. Thats my only point I'm trying to make.

I have never met someone so content with pieces of their consumer protection laws being taken away by brexit.

Last edited:
Considering that only, like, 2 models can be rooted, most of us won't be rooting.

I miss those days, but the issue of battery life was the main reason I rooted. Battery isn't really an issue these days, so I'm not upset I can't root. Also, There are ways to debloat via ADB.

But maybe Sammy will stop being dicks about this. Maybe another fold style phone will hit the market soon. Until then, I'll stay on the Fold 4 so I can have options later...hopefully ones that allow rooting.

Reactions: chakid21

I have never met someone so content with pieces of their consumer protection laws being taken away by brexit.
You seem to have such a huge interest in consumer protection laws and consumer rights but equally appear to have no consideration or understamdig of the privacy & rights for your customers, who's calls you record without their knowledge or consent. In the UK you would be committing an offence liable to a jail sentence and/or an unlimited fine.. Just because call recording is not illegal in the USA does not make it right or a good thing to do.

The world is a big place... filled with weird and wonderful culture differences which will never be understood by both sides of the divide.

Have a nice life chakid21 ;)

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019

You seem to have such a huge interest in consumer protection laws and consumer rights but equally appear to have no consideration or understamdig of the privacy & rights for your customers, who's calls you record without their knowledge or consent. In the UK you would be committing an offence liable to a jail sentence and/or an unlimited fine.. Just because call recording is not illegal in the USA does not make it right or a good thing to do.

The world is a big place... filled with weird and wonderful culture differences which will never be understood by both sides of the divide.

Have a nice life chakid21 ;)
It seems almost skillful how much you can avoid my main point and insert your own self-righteous opinions in. I don't care if you personally want to root your device or not. I don't care what your opinions of call recording are. I am not trying to change your mind on these topics but you seem to think I am. I understand you personally don't need it and that's fine.

My whole point, that we agreed on already, is you should be able to do what you want with the devices you own. Companies like samsung are taking away your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: wfred
It seems almost skillful how much you can avoid my main point and insert your own self-righteous opinions in. I don't care if you personally want to root your device or not. I don't care what your opinions of call recording are. I am not trying to change your mind on these topics but you seem to think I am. I understand you personally don't need it and that's fine.

My whole point, that we agreed on already, is you should be able to do what you want with the devices you own. Companies like samsung are taking away your choice.
Never once did I say you didn't have the right to root your phone matey

Just wanted to point out you are very much in the minority looking at the poling results

Have a nice life (that's UK for enough already!)

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Never once did I say you didn't have the right to root your phone matey
My whole point, that we agreed on already, is you should be able to do what you want with the devices you own.
I don't get how your reading comprehention can be that low. I said we agreed on that point I don't know how to make it any more clear.
Just wanted to point out you are very much in the minority looking at the poling results
Thanks, I was having trouble reading it myself. As other users have already stated being locked out of root deterrs a lot of people on top of a lot of people not needing it. I understand these points, I agreed with them and never argued that.

Literally the only point I was trying to make by responding to you at all was that you don't have a choice with your device. It's because of a companies decision to not let you have it.

Reactions: dezborders
Literally the only point I was trying to make by responding to you at all was that you don't have a choice with your device. It's because of a companies decision to not let you have it.
Relating to call recording?

It's illegal in most countries thats why Samsung doesn't have it enabled in EU not because they care one way or the other :)

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Relating to call recording?

It's illegal in most countries thats why Samsung doesn't have it enabled in EU not because they care one way or the other :)
Relating to unlocked bootloaders and root access. The main topic of the thread.

The only reason I brought up call recording was as an exaple of a reason to want to have root access. I never ment to imply that they should provide features in areas where they are illegal to use.

However, it is a bit ironic in EU samsung is forced to give root access under the law (according to other users I haven't checked). Which gives them easier access to call recording in a place where it is illegal. But in america call recording is legal but you are restricted from rooting your device. Making it harder to access a legal feature.

Last edited:

the_ape

May 30, 2005
www.nakedcleaner.com

Technically not, you agree to their UAP when you use the device, if that includes modifying the software, then technically your not agreed to their terms... Thats a whole can of worms I shan't get into, but Samsung supply you hardware and software, and root is not part of that, so they are not taking any choices away from you.

chakid21

Nov 22, 2019
Technically not, you agree to their UAP when you use the device, if that includes modifying the software, then technically your not agreed to their terms... Thats a whole can of worms I shan't get into, but Samsung supply you hardware and software, and root is not part of that, so they are not taking any choices away from you.
This is true. I should say they took the choice away from my market segment and not me personally. While some markets have the option and others don't the choice isn't up to the consumer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry google translate.
    All 5 (3 rear and the 2 selfi cams) Cameras are working fine.
    Hard pass here. I was rooted for years on every phone up until about 5 or 6 years ago. I only stopped because I jumped over to LG when the V20 came out and started making themes for LG (rip) and thought that I should try to stay stock to ensure I would have the same experience as everyone else given I was putting the themes on Google play. I got used to it and didn't miss it because given LG had and still does have the most advanced theme system of any device with zero restrictions on what you can touch, I could simply add any mod to my theme and keep it stock. Keep in mind rooting was much simpler then and magisk was not yet a thing.
    Fast forward to 8 months ago I decided to root my pixel 6 pro and tinkered and honestly the fun just wasn't there for me anymore. Having to mess around constantly because of monthly updates or randomly losing root via magisk for no reason and having to mess with stuff to pass safety net or show official status on Google play became a nuisance for me. I guess I'm just over it now and couldn't be bothered. But I totally get why some may still want to and I'm all for it
    I got my samsung Fold 4 today :)
    I wanna root it, freeze some system-apps.
    Install Magisk, Zygisk, some modules.
    Can anybody explain the steps? Or point me in the right direction?
    I was used to use TWRP, flash custom rom, flash magisk, done...

Reading this thread doesn't make the steps clear for me.
    Please step-by-step (i know the basics).

EDIT:
    I'll edit this post and make it easier for others if possible and will make a new post with the needed links.

See here:

And I've got root friends! Everything is fine, all works.

I think I might be the first — in da world! :O)
    Yeah — that's OK, but it's there - it must be in Europe. Then you toggle it on, reboot to Download mode and it'll give you an option there to confirm bootloader unlock. In fact - could you do it?

Just toggle it on, reboot to Download - select fully unlock bootloader - and if there's the tricks from Samsung it'll say “Your camera is going to be disabled - please confirm…” You don't have to do it if you then don't want to , and nothitg'll happen - it'll just reboot.

At least you'd give me a piece of mind for one night - if it's there or not… :O)