• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Who pre-ordered and what device you coming from? P5 anticipation thread!

Black or Sage?

• Black

Votes: 78 62.9%
  • Sage

Votes: 46 37.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
Well... It does not matter if they write in stock or not. The fact is, currently they do not allow any pre-order

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 9 mit Tapatalk
I see. Does not make any sense to write not in stock when you can only pre-order. What's preventing them to create a wait list...

kboya

Apr 25, 2010
Unsurprisingly, the sage is oos on the UK Gstore. This happens most every cycle with elgoog going all the way back through Nexus, and usually means they can't confirm a delivery date even in pre-order.

TiltedAz

Oct 19, 2007
Still I don't see why it should show "in stock" when pre-order is available until October 14th at least.

A better question - why is it showing "out of stock" and limiting pre-orders?

I suspect Google is trying to sprinkle availability evenly to all as they expect to run out of initial stock.

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
A better question - why is it showing "out of stock" and limiting pre-orders?

I suspect Google is trying to sprinkle availability evenly to all as they expect to run out of initial stock.
Yeah, sounds like "we don't know when we can produce our product so we can't even put you on a wait list"

TokedUp

Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2010
Hellz Kitchen, NYC
They are only producing 800k in first run. Compared to 4mil units last year. Good luck. I've never preordered a phone but I knew I wanted the P5 and because of the circumstances the production numbers would get hurt.

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
They are only producing 800k in first run. Compared to 4mil units last year. Good luck. I've never preordered a phone but I knew I wanted the P5 and because of the circumstances the production numbers would get hurt.
But they could have known how much interest there is. Now they have to guess

Supersonicc

Dec 8, 2012
Pixel 4 XL Oh So Orange to Pixel 5 in Sorta Sage.
Delivery 15th October via Amazon Prime (UK)

With the 5, I am concerned about the lack of features - Neural Core chip, Active Edge plus missing face unlock - will have on my usage experience compared to the 4 XL. However, the better cameras and improved battery in a slightly smaller screen size (6.0" Vs 6.3") should make up for it. I've not yet seen a screen real estate comparison between the 4 XL and 5. Google have worked on the video too with the 5, 4K at 60fps looks great and smooth.

Finance-wise, the 4XL Oh So Orange is currently holding its value relatively well in the UK so that sale price should hopefully pay for a significant part of the 5's outlay cost.

I am also tempted by the iPhone 12 Pro Max if 120hz is included but I can't see it being released till later this year and cost will likely be too high to justify.

Last edited:

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
Pixel 4 XL Oh So Orange to Pixel 5 in Sorta Sage.
Delivery 15th October via Amazon Prime (UK)

With the 5, I am concerned about the lack of features - Neural Core chip, Active Edge plus missing face unlock - will have on my usage experience compared to the 4 XL. However, the better cameras and improved battery in a slightly smaller screen size (6.0" Vs 6.3") should make up for it. I've not yet seen a screen real estate comparison between the 4 XL and 5. Google have worked on the video too with the 5, 4K at 60fps looks great and smooth.

Finance-wise, the 4XL Oh So Orange is currently holding its value relatively well in the UK so that sale price should hopefully pay for a significant part of the 5's outlay cost.

I am also tempted by the iPhone 12 Pro Max if 120hz is included but I can't see it being released till later this year and cost will likely be too high to justify.
The 765G has more AI TOPS than the PVC and most likely same or more than the PNC, so it made it redundant most likely. I would not worry too much. Active edge is annoying though. But what made you change from last year's flagship? The 4XL seems like a fine device to me

Supersonicc

Dec 8, 2012
The 765G has more AI TOPS than the PVC and most likely same or more than the PNC, so it made it redundant most likely. I would not worry too much. Active edge is annoying though. But what made you change from last year's flagship? The 4XL seems like a fine device to me

Yes, from what I've seen of the 765G its fine for AI TOPS than Pixel's Visual Core. Not bleeding edge - but a flagship chip isn't required either.

To be honest, I nearly didn't change to 5 as the 4XL has been overall outstanding in terms of usability, performance, photography - especially night. I use Active Edge all the time so will miss that.

A few key factors helped sway my decision for the move to the 5. The increase in battery size - the 4 XL - battery can last a day but not during heavy. Improved 4K 60fps video, Google have made an effort to focus on video this year. I do a lot of videography and having smooth 4K at 60fps is important. Launching the 4 & 4 XL with only 4K 30fps was a Google error. Memory - 128GB in the 5, I've currently got only 64GB on the 4 XL which is definitely not enough in 2020 despite a massive cloud usage. Also aesthetics, I like how the 5 looks with smaller, symmetrical bezels. The forehead of the 4 XL is great for face unlock etc. but detracts from the visual look.

Ideal world for me, Google would have released a 5s or 5 XL along with the 5 with improved specs to make it a true flagship. But their current Pixel philosophy is considering the economic climate releasing mid-tier instead of a flagship.

The price drops are obviously a carefully calculated financial move and connected to a shift in Google strategy at the heart of what the Pixel brand represents. Coming from the original Google Nexus and Pixel phones, for me, the lines are blurring as to what a 'Google phone' is meant to actually be now. Nevertheless, Pixels arguably still have the best software and camera experience on any smartphone.

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
Yes, from what I've seen of the 765G its fine for AI TOPS than Pixel's Visual Core. Not bleeding edge - but a flagship chip isn't required either.

To be honest, I nearly didn't change to 5 as the 4XL has been overall outstanding in terms of usability, performance, photography - especially night. I use Active Edge all the time so will miss that.

A few key factors helped sway my decision for the move to the 5. The increase in battery size - the 4 XL - battery can last a day but not during heavy. Improved 4K 60fps video, Google have made an effort to focus on video this year. I do a lot of videography and having smooth 4K at 60fps is important. Launching the 4 & 4 XL with only 4K 30fps was a Google error. Memory - 128GB in the 5, I've currently got only 64GB on the 4 XL which is definitely not enough in 2020 despite a massive cloud usage. Also aesthetics, I like how the 5 looks with smaller, symmetrical bezels. The forehead of the 4 XL is great for face unlock etc. but detracts from the visual look.

Ideal world for me, Google would have released a 5s or 5 XL along with the 5 with improved specs to make it a true flagship. But their current Pixel philosophy is considering the economic climate releasing mid-tier instead of a flagship.

The price drops are obviously a carefully calculated financial move and connected to a shift in Google strategy at the heart of what the Pixel brand represents. Coming from the original Google Nexus and Pixel phones, for me, the lines are blurring as to what a 'Google phone' is meant to actually be now. Nevertheless, Pixels arguably still have the best software and camera experience on any smartphone.
Yeah, I remember my nexus 4 days as well. Good times. Now upgrading from a 2XL. I am excited and can't stand the negativity here haha. Let's see how much I miss active edge remapping.