• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Why are aspect ratios and resolutions not important anymore?

Search This thread

AurioDK

May 9, 2019
Ì sent my Samsung A70 back because 16:9 was limited to 8 MP, I knew little about aspect ratios their respective resolutions, now that I have read a lot about it I am somewhat wiser. I was used to taking 16:9 photos on my S8+ and cropping the picture to my liking while maintaining the 16:9 AR. This requires a somewhat larger original picture if you wish to view the result on a large screen.

I bought the 7 pro and immediately ran into the same problem, aspect ratios are stuck to a certain resolution and 48 MP is limited to 4:3 JPG format, I can´t even choose 16:9 and decided to go along with the 20:9 fullscreen option ... can still easily be cropped to 16:9. But why are aspect ratios locked into a certain resolution which is usually okay in it´s original size for viewing but doesn´t allow for a lot of creativity.

I have been using a Gcam mod which has 16:9 available and the pictures do allow for a small crop, not much though before the pixels suffer on the big screen.

I will never use 4:3 as I hate the field of view it offers.

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
4:3 is likely the native sensor size/ratio. It comes from mimicking film cameras. Film cameras in turn copied oil painting canvases. 16:9 is just a compromise television format to approach Cinema formats roughly 21:9.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

AurioDK

May 9, 2019
4:3 is likely the native sensor size/ratio. It comes from mimicking film cameras. Film cameras in turn copied oil painting canvases. 16:9 is just a compromise television format to approach Cinema formats roughly 21:9.

Yes, I figured that. Why are the size of the pictures restricted in all aspect ratios? that´s my question. As the average consumer you get 48MP advertised when you buy the phone, large pictures are however impossible to shoot in any other aspect ratio than 4:3 and for that you need to tweak the settings. For most people the camera will be 12 MP at most.

Why can´t I f.ex. shoot a 16:9 picture at 24 MP? I realize the fact that it´s impossible to get a 48 MP picture at 16:9 due to how the camera angle works.

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
The main sensor has 48 million pixels laid out in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Furthermore they are grouped in a quad Bayer layout which really just makes it a 4x light sensitive 12mp camera instead of a 48mp detail sensor. That is the hardware.

If you want images cropped to another aspect ratio afterwards, download something like Open Camera or MX Camera and set a custom resolution.

AurioDK

May 9, 2019
The main sensor has 48 million pixels laid out in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Furthermore they are grouped in a quad Bayer layout which really just makes it a 4x light sensitive 12mp camera instead of a 48mp detail sensor. That is the hardware.

If you want images cropped to another aspect ratio afterwards, download something like Open Camera or MX Camera and set a custom resolution.

All third party apps are limited to the 12 MP, they don´t know how to use the 4x .... so they are pretty limited in their range of resolutions.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly

Cinema is 2.35:1 which is why on 16:9 shows you the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen for the majority of movies.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Yes, I figured that. Why are the size of the pictures restricted in all aspect ratios? that´s my question. As the average consumer you get 48MP advertised when you buy the phone, large pictures are however impossible to shoot in any other aspect ratio than 4:3 and for that you need to tweak the settings. For most people the camera will be 12 MP at most.

Why can´t I f.ex. shoot a 16:9 picture at 24 MP? I realize the fact that it´s impossible to get a 48 MP picture at 16:9 due to how the camera angle works.

Unless your going to print MASSIVE size prints, overall, MP is a marketing ploy to get your to spend more money on am item. After 12 to 16mp, for 95% of people, the difference is in the pixel size in Montana, not the number is pixels.

rohitrss

Nov 27, 2013
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7

So in general, when stock camera takes 12mp photo on 48mp sensor, it would be using pixel binning, resulting in better looking image, right?

Yes and regrettably can't use the other lenses either.

If yes, then if 3rd party Apps can capture photos at 12mp only, is it using pixel binning on main 48mp sensor or some other tech? If other tech, what is that other tech?

Thanks!

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
Even non Bayer sensors use four sensors filtered for each color. Generally an RGGB configuration. One sensor with a red filter, two with green and one with blue. They aren't individually addressible. They are summed together in hardware to mix all the colors. A Bayer configuration of groups allows sub addressing of different luminance channels.

rohitrss

Nov 27, 2013
Moto G
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Even non Bayer sensors use four sensors filtered for each color. Generally an RGGB configuration. One sensor with a red filter, two with green and one with blue. They aren't individually addressible. They are summed together in hardware to mix all the colors. A Bayer configuration of groups allows sub addressing of different luminance channels.
Thanks for more details. Also, if you could, please answer (maybe you already answered but I did not get it) the doubts I asked above.

Thanks

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
It might be a custom API that only the manufacturer accesses with their binary or camera app. Google camera2 API may not support it but people do cool stuff with the Google camera app to get at stuff.