why developers are not focusing more in sailfishOS?

Search This thread

pekas

May 6, 2020
århus
I was just wondering why sailfishOS has still really bad apps.
and why is not developers are doing more apps for this amazing OS?
just wondering

valthunder

Dec 7, 2010
it's very simple: no market.
In general you make apps to earn money. perhaps you'll find some developer or group of developers that will port a popular app as a hobby, student project, or simply because they are using sailfish and want an specific app.

so basically, if there is no market, there is no money. therefore no apps

Reactions: bius88

root

Oct 10, 2006
Actually I have just bought xperia 10 plus to move away from toxic android ecosystem (from google to all the app junk), after I have figured out that I could delete 90% of application on my android phone and I would never miss them.

If you are using sailfish phone, you have an option to run apks there is no real need for native applications. Quite frankly in last few years I could hardly find any application that was something that "I have to have". All the really needed applications were added to the first smartphones: email, gps, browser, sms, mms, calls, video player, music player, camera, contacts, text editor, sound recording... and I am already stretching it with last two, I cant remember when I have last time wrote high volume of text on those tiny useless on screen keyboard or had a need to record some sound.

There is one app on android which I will need (access to online banking) and I hope it will work, it didnt work even on my previous android until I have reversed it and change some code to stop verifying for root and safetynet, so it should work here too.

Everything else is... more a toy than useful or actually some security application to prevent all others doing something that you don't want, from rolling ads to stealing data. I am waiting for this mobile application market to slowly collapse, there is no more value in it except maybe games. Everything else is just wasting time in the least constructive way.

And not having market is a huge bonus, if you check sailfish apps (jolla store and openrepos) you will find that you have everything you need for having a great phone, made by enthusiasts not people that want to become rich. And no one is making useless junk as, as valthunder said, there is no market. And this is fine. Actually great.

Last edited:
Reactions: eltmosen

eltmosen

Mar 13, 2021
There is one app on android which I will need (access to online banking) and I hope it will work, it didnt work even on my previous android until I have reversed it and change some code to stop verifying for root and safetynet, so it should work here too.

Great to read about your decision!
For banking apps that require Google Services you could try to tweak your Sailfish Alien Dalvik with Signature Spoofing and a GServices replacement like MicroG.
The SafetyNet replacement here is the DroidGuard Helper that should be installed alongside GmsCore.

root

Oct 10, 2006
Great to read about your decision!
For banking apps that require Google Services you could try to tweak your Sailfish Alien Dalvik with Signature Spoofing and a GServices replacement like MicroG.
The SafetyNet replacement here is the DroidGuard Helper that should be installed alongside GmsCore.

Naah, I am having my own "cracked" apk build from previous phone, I have removed all checks to root and safetynet and it works fine, no need to change it. Since the app is just front end for web interface it works since forever, I have also removed version matching with server. Took a day or two but worth it :D

But I have one question: I am trying to integrate xposed framework (last version as there si no boot/recovery img to try with magisk) into system.img (8.1). And same goes for su. Is there any "official" way how to do it without unpacking system.img, adding binaries, repacking it...

eltmosen

Mar 13, 2021
But I have one question: I am trying to integrate xposed framework (last version as there si no boot/recovery img to try with magisk) into system.img (8.1). And same goes for su. Is there any "official" way how to do it without unpacking system.img, adding binaries, repacking it...
Following all things sfos quite closely i did not witness anyone get xposed framework to work. (at least no public report) That might be due to sfos users generally are not Android wizards. The matter might still be a low hanging fruit to anyone with deeper knowledge :D
Whenever rooting/xposed/su is brought up, much more competent guys then me hint at Alien Dalvik just being an AOSP tailored to run inside LXC on non android kernel plus filesystem integration, Intents integration, shared clipboard etc.
quoting my friend olf:
"Jolla uses many modern measures to confine the Android container: at LXC level, with cgroups, firewall rules, SElinux policies etc.
You may configure additional measures at all these levels, it is just a Linux machine and you are the administrator!"
So maybe what you want to achieve practically is even possible using a whole set of different tools then available in Android?
And yes, my vague explanation hinting at me being a simple user having no clue and just putting things together from forum posts is a correct observation ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it's very simple: no market.
    In general you make apps to earn money. perhaps you'll find some developer or group of developers that will port a popular app as a hobby, student project, or simply because they are using sailfish and want an specific app.

so basically, if there is no market, there is no money. therefore no apps
    Actually I have just bought xperia 10 plus to move away from toxic android ecosystem (from google to all the app junk), after I have figured out that I could delete 90% of application on my android phone and I would never miss them.

If you are using sailfish phone, you have an option to run apks there is no real need for native applications. Quite frankly in last few years I could hardly find any application that was something that "I have to have". All the really needed applications were added to the first smartphones: email, gps, browser, sms, mms, calls, video player, music player, camera, contacts, text editor, sound recording... and I am already stretching it with last two, I cant remember when I have last time wrote high volume of text on those tiny useless on screen keyboard or had a need to record some sound.

Everything else is... more a toy than useful or actually some security application to prevent all others doing something that you don't want, from rolling ads to stealing data. I am waiting for this mobile application market to slowly collapse, there is no more value in it except maybe games. Everything else is just wasting time in the least constructive way.

And not having market is a huge bonus, if you check sailfish apps (jolla store and openrepos) you will find that you have everything you need for having a great phone, made by enthusiasts not people that want to become rich. And no one is making useless junk as, as valthunder said, there is no market. And this is fine. Actually great.