Why do custom ROMs have lower quality signal compared to stock?

Search This thread

arsradu

Apr 28, 2011
Motorola One Action
Moto G40 / G60
Hi guys,

I know custom ROMs are made of AOSP. However, it's not very clear to me why do they also have lower quality signal compared to stock ROMs. In the same area where I usually got 4G (not great signal, but still 4G), now I only get 3G.

Is there a reason for this? Aside from "it's not made by the manufacturer". Yeah, I know that, but why exactly isn't the same quality...? What makes it slightly worse?

Also, is there anything can do to improve reception?

Last edited:

georg3_

Hi guys,

I know custom ROMs are made of AOSP. However, it's not very clear to me why do they also have lower quality signal compared to stock ROMs. In the same area where I usually got 4G (not great signal, but still 4G), now I only get 3G.

Is there a reason for this? Aside from "it's not made by the manufacturer". Yeah, I know that, but why exactly isn't the same quality...? What makes it slightly worse?

Exactly what you said: "It's not made by the manufacturer". Proprietary blobs are extracted from the device, creating vendor image while building AOSP and modifying vendor partition it when installing a zip.

I don't think there's anything to improve, until someone makes a kernel or a vendor image.
(flashing original vendor lead to bootloop on my phone, probably because encryption?)

However, you can try downloading stock ROM and flash stock vendor, but make sure to not have your device encrypted (I did not try on a non-encrypted device).

Reactions: arsradu

arsradu

Apr 28, 2011
Motorola One Action
Moto G40 / G60
Exactly what you said: "It's not made by the manufacturer". Proprietary blobs are extracted from the device, creating vendor image while building AOSP and modifying vendor partition it when installing a zip.

I don't think there's anything to improve, until someone makes a kernel or a vendor image.
(flashing original vendor lead to bootloop on my phone, probably because encryption?)

However, you can try downloading stock ROM and flash stock vendor, but make sure to not have your device encrypted (I did not try on a non-encrypted device).
I've noticed this with stock ROMs as well, when they weren't dedicated for that specific region... So...I'm guessing it's probably the same here. AOSP includes some files to make the ROM work...but not dedicated files for each region.

By the way, can you please, guide me how should I do this? It's been a really long time since I've done stuff like this. Android has changed a lot.

I already have the ROM at hand, downloaded via RSA. But it's Android 11, since that's the last ROM that Motorola released for this phone.
So that part is done. What next? :))

Also, any idea if this method should also bring back VoLTE and VoWIFI? Or it's not that simple?

Last edited:

georg3_

I've noticed this with stock ROMs as well, when they weren't dedicated for that specific region... So...I'm guessing it's probably the same here. AOSP includes some files to make the ROM work...but not dedicated files for each region.

By the way, can you please, guide me how should I do this? It's been a really long time since I've done stuff like this. Android has changed a lot.

I already have the ROM at hand, downloaded via RSA. But it's Android 11, since that's the last ROM that Motorola released for this phone.

Also, any idea if this method should also bring back VoLTE and VoWIFI? Or it's not that simple?
EDIT: Newer OS than vendor shouldn't make a problem.
Newer vendor than OS does.

Extract the ROM, there should be vendor.img in there, and there are 2 methods for this:

1. TWRP method
Install, Install Image, select your vendor image set it to flash as vendor image, and swipe to flash.

2.Fastboot method
Open a terminal/command prompt in the extracted ROM folder, and type
Code:
fastboot flash vendor vendor.img

That should do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: arsradu

arsradu

Apr 28, 2011
Motorola One Action
Moto G40 / G60
Older OS than vendor shouldn't make a problem.
Older vendor than OS does.

Extract the ROM, there should be vendor.img in there, and there are 2 methods for this:

1. TWRP method
Install, Install Image, select your vendor image set it to flash as vendor image, and swipe to flash.

2.Fastboot method
Code:

That should do it.
Alright. So....I can't use Android 11 vendor, extracted from stock ROM, if I'm currently on PixelExperience based on Android 12, right?

Last edited:

arsradu

Apr 28, 2011
Motorola One Action
Moto G40 / G60
Stau bine pe engleza daca e :))

I translated it wrong, i meant it would be fine to flash it

I'm getting bootloop, too...

I tried to flash the rom, flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (should disable encryption...unless I'm missing something). But after flashing vendor.img from stock Android 11, I can't boot anymore. I also tried wiping data after that, but no luck.

georg3_

I'm getting bootloop, too...

I tried to flash the rom, flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip (should disable encryption...unless I'm missing something). But after flashing vendor.img from stock Android 11, I can't boot anymore. I also tried wiping data after that, but no luck.
Probably not an encryption related issue, guess we can't fix anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

EDIT: Newer OS than vendor shouldn't make a problem.
    Newer vendor than OS does.

1. TWRP method

2.Fastboot method
    Code:

That should do it.
    Alright. So....I can't use Android 11 vendor, extracted from stock ROM, if I'm currently on PixelExperience based on Android 12, right?
    Stau bine pe engleza daca e :))

I translated it wrong, i meant it would be fine to flash it