• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Why does my tmobile data and connection speed suck so bad?

Search This thread

racinmason001

May 11, 2012
Hesperia
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
I live in Hesperia, CA. Tmobile 4g network blows here. I just did a speed test and the testing app showed I had a 3g connection while the status bar icon showed it as 4g(screenie added) what's up with that is tmo lying to me? Saying I'm connected to 4g when I'm actually not... I never get above 200kbps during the day, at night I can get 1500kbps but that sucks too. I'm getting so frustrated I switched from metro and their network was better. I got 2500kbps from them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370995495889.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370995495889.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4,197
Last edited:

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
I guess you can go to the extreme of saying tmobile is lying to you, but in reality no they're not. "4g" just shows when data activity is happening. You are barely over edge speeds though. I would say try different radios and such and look at the map from this post and play around to see which will help you specifically. In the mean time put your phone to edge only so you stop wasting battery lol. [Baseband] ALL T999(V) Modems! w/ MAP and Data Tweaks!

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Start a big download and go to the dialer, input *#0011#. Take note of the band you are on (2 or 4) and which items have a 1 on them out of HSPA and HSDPA. If you are on band 2 and see a one next to either of those options, you can try forcing 1700 by using *#2263# and choosing it under WCDMA. This will cause you to lose service if you have poor 1700 coverage, particularly for voice calls but you can always set it back by going back to the main 2263 menu and hitting automatic.

If those don't work or you see zeroes have you gone into phone status to see if you have an IMEI? Because that will lock you to UMTS. Shortcut to find out - *#06#

jordeeeezy

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles
Start a big download and go to the dialer, input *#0011#. Take note of the band you are on (2 or 4) and which items have a 1 on them out of HSPA and HSDPA. If you are on band 2 and see a one next to either of those options, you can try forcing 1700 by using *#2263# and choosing it under WCDMA. This will cause you to lose service if you have poor 1700 coverage, particularly for voice calls but you can always set it back by going back to the main 2263 menu and hitting automatic.

If those don't work or you see zeroes have you gone into phone status to see if you have an IMEI? Because that will lock you to UMTS. Shortcut to find out - *#06#

I've tried this using *#0011# and I get an error. I put *#06# and it showed my IMEI yet I was unable to still use those two codes.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
I've tried this using *#0011# and I get an error. I put *#06# and it showed my IMEI yet I was unable to still use those two codes.

I was assuming that you were on a TouchWiz ROM (these codes only work on the Samsung dialer) based on the fact that you had a 4G icon up there - if you're not on stock, there's not an easy way to troubleshoot. If you are on stock, you have to use the built in dialer, not a third party app.

Its worth the time to go to a TW ROM to try to troubleshoot it but if your IMEI came up fine then its less worth the hassle. Wish I could help you out more but it looks like you might be in a highly congested area on the network :/

jordeeeezy

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles
I was assuming that you were on a TouchWiz ROM (these codes only work on the Samsung dialer) based on the fact that you had a 4G icon up there - if you're not on stock, there's not an easy way to troubleshoot. If you are on stock, you have to use the built in dialer, not a third party app.

Its worth the time to go to a TW ROM to try to troubleshoot it but if your IMEI came up fine then its less worth the hassle. Wish I could help you out more but it looks like you might be in a highly congested area on the network :/

my apologies. i was on liquidsmooth with uvmd5 and didnt understand why my download speeds were so slow so i wanted to check what this was all about. im currently switching between uvlja and uvli8 to see which modem works best in my area.

mrzhadow

Mar 18, 2010
Marysville WA
I was on uvlja when I started having the issues so I upgraded to uvmd5 and I am still having the problems. I'm not so sure anymore that the modems are the problem. I'm running DarthstalkerX2 I've been using these roms for quite a while but I've only been experiencing these issues for a couple of months.

naetog

Oct 28, 2010
I'm in the Fresno, CA area, and I've been running the UVDM5 modem for a few days. I noticed it has much slower upload speeds, while downloads are a little bit lower compared to the UVLJA

racinmason001

May 11, 2012
Hesperia
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Ok everyone tmobile finally admitted to me that I am in a HORRIBLY BAD congested area of their network. No ETA on a fix either. I was given the option to return the phone cancel service and move on at no extra charge. I have until the 27th to make my decision. What should I do. Stay or go?

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
Ok everyone tmobile finally admitted to me that I am in a HORRIBLY BAD congested area of their network. No ETA on a fix either. I was given the option to return the phone cancel service and move on at no extra charge. I have until the 27th to make my decision. What should I do. Stay or go?

If they are admitting it then it must be *REALLY* bad... If data speeds are more important than pricing to you, I say jump ship.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!

Wow! that is a rare thing indeed! Good luck on whatever you decide!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda premium

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
I live in Hesperia, CA. Tmobile 4g network blows here. I just did a speed test and the testing app showed I had a 3g connection while the status bar icon showed it as 4g(screenie added) what's up with that is tmo lying to me? Saying I'm connected to 4g when I'm actually not... I never get above 200kbps during the day, at night I can get 1500kbps but that sucks too. I'm getting so frustrated I switched from metro and their network was better. I got 2500kbps from them.

T-Mo is not lying. You're still on their 4G network, but as someone mentioned, it's probably congested. Additionally, for most areas, T-Mo's 3G and 4G network is the exact same technology. If you're paying for the 4G service, they take the "speed limiter" off. Simple as that. Most likely a bad area of Cali for T-Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
T-Mo is not lying. You're still on their 4G network, but as someone mentioned, it's probably congested. Additionally, for most areas, T-Mo's 3G and 4G network is the exact same technology. If you're paying for the 4G service, they take the "speed limiter" off. Simple as that. Most likely a bad area of Cali for T-Mobile.

I'd like to see your sources for this because 3G UMTS, 3.5G HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+, and true 4G LTE are all different technologies. UMTS maxes out at 384Kbps, HSDPA ranges from 7 to 21Mbps, HSPA+ is up to 21Mbps but includes HSUPA for up to 5.76Mbps upload, and DC-HSPA+ is up to 42Mbps on the downlink with the same 5.76Mbps upload of standard HSPA+. 4G LTE can exceed 100Mbps.

While its true that they all operate off of wideband CDMA technology, they are NOT the same and require tower upgrades... T-Mobile does not discriminate based on your data plan. They discriminate based on your data usage compared to the plan you purchased and throttle you when you exceed what you paid for. Plain and simple.

Get your facts straight before you spout off nonsense.

EDIT: I am not aware if T-Mobile has deployed pico cells for UMTS anywhere but if they have, UMTS can go up to 2Mbps on a pico cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomTcom

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA
I'd like to see your sources for this because 3G UMTS, 3.5G HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+, and true 4G LTE are all different technologies. UMTS maxes out at 384Kbps, HSDPA ranges from 7 to 21Mbps, HSPA+ is up to 21Mbps but includes HSUPA for up to 5.76Mbps upload, and DC-HSPA+ is up to 42Mbps on the downlink with the same 5.76Mbps upload of standard HSPA+. 4G LTE can exceed 100Mbps.

While its true that they all operate off of wideband CDMA technology, they are NOT the same and require tower upgrades... T-Mobile does not discriminate based on your data plan. They discriminate based on your data usage compared to the plan you purchased and throttle you when you exceed what you paid for. Plain and simple.

EDIT: I am not aware if T-Mobile has deployed pico cells for UMTS anywhere but if they have, UMTS can go up to 2Mbps on a pico cell.

And, you're getting mad... for what? You need to chill. I have no idea why people get such superior attitudes when they correct someone.

Reactions: mrzhadow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

And, you're getting mad... for what? You need to chill. I have no idea why people get such superior attitudes when they correct someone.