Why I chose the Nexus 5x over the Moto

Search This thread

aysiu

Feb 26, 2011
The Moto X 2013 is an amazing phone. It came with the innovations of the twist-to-launch-camera, "OK Google Now," and active notifications. It was also just the right size. The camera on it is awful, though, so I was due for an upgrade.

I considered the Moto X Pure because of microSD expansion and the front-facing stereo speakers.

I opted for the Nexus 5x for the fingerprint scanner, the better camera, the timely OTA updates, the possibility of Project Fi (haven't signed up yet, though), and the smaller size.

Reactions: H0tep

propov

Dec 2, 2008
Frankfurt am Main
Now have Z5 from couple of days.But seriosly looking for N5X. Z5 is super phone,with 99% super camera , 100% no lags and very very good battery.New SONYs is very close to pure Android with no preinstaled apps(only 2 or 3). But its very uncofortable for me with this rectangular body. Im afreid that it can cut trough my pants pocket. Sounds like joke, but for me this is real problem.
I had N5 and love it because its very elegant soft back finsh , good grip, perfect ergonomic body forms. I dislike the camera and battery perrformance. But now in N5x this things is improved and for me it seems like a best device on the market now.

nickhell

Apr 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I also come from XT1092 RETDEALL

Coming from MX 2014 Pure (Germany):
- hated delayed Lollipop update (we got it 2 months after the USA)
- battery was subpar
- camera was **** especially in low light conditions
+ cool moto features but almost all of them are now incorporated into M
+ size was perfect
+ moto maker

The smoothness of 5X is much better than on MX 2014 PE. Battery is holding much longer.

I was considering MX2015 but:
- no fingerprint scanner (motorola got screwed in 2014 by apple buying that fingerprint company but for the 2015 models there is no excuse not to have it!)
- too big
- unlocking voids warranty (at least in 2014 model I could flash custom rom and here I don't want to wait for the "official" M update because it will most probably come much later)

I Have hated this phone since day one.
  • Bugs everywhere (not all of them moto's guilty but they took months to update and fix some and some persisted, till I installed CM at least).
  • ***** cameras, lag in front camera and focus video problems on the main camera untill they finally fixed it, not the lag though (got last christmas gift openings all blurred out)
  • They said PE where considered developer ED but only the US version (and took months to clarify)
  • Amoled burn marks in less than a year.
  • Always with battery exhaustion anxiety.
I promised myself not to buy any moto product anymore. And just hope you are right with the smoothness and battery life. Waiting for it to come home this week.
The only things im going to miss are the waves and twists to perform actions.

Last edited:

tim k

Jul 2, 2010
Phila, PA
I'll echo some of the comments here.

Being on a VZW unlimited plan with corp discounts has me stuck to VZW. I was dealing with a 2014 Moto X until I couldn't take it anymore. No VoLTE, No Marshmallow, Battery dying at 15% left. And no response from Motorola. I too have lost faith in Moto and no longer trust them. Nexus it was. Plus, I refuse to buy a ginormous phone. 5.2" is the absolute max and I have huge hands. I just don't want a phone that big. I miss some Moto features but I'll live with the loss of that and the gains a Nexus brings. Especially the fingerprint scanner.

Rektifying

Aug 26, 2015
This is a good thread for me, kinda.

Here I sit. What is right in front of me as I type this? A Brand New Cloud White Nexus 6, and a Brand New Carbon Black Nexus 5X. One of them has to go. This is very hard for me!!!!

I will sum up a long story and comparison and keep it short and sweet. I have to decide between a beasty media device with a huge display and dual stereo speakers OR a more functional device with a better camera and a fingerprint sensor.

The display's are the only thing that are making this so hard. The colors / blacks are better on the 6, but the whites / grays are better on the 5X. I just need to decide if a "better" display and dual stereo speakers is worth sacrificing form factor, finger print sensor, and a better camera. Every time I lean more to the 5X I turn on the Nexus 6 display and the debate starts all over. lol. Talk about first world problems...

I have seen the posts / reviews where the 5X can have a yellows display, where the whites are yellowish. That is definitely not a problem here, my 5X whites are WHITE. They are whiter than the whites on the Nexus 6, which have a very small creamy tint to them. This definitely is no early model though. I just got it today and it came with MDB08L stock. Not sure if that matters or not.

Anyways, anyone want to help me make up my mind for me? lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently purchased a Moto X Pure, and within 4 days knew I made the wrong decision. I'll list below the reasons I returned the Moto X Pure and why I'm buying the nexus 5x.

Why I'm return the Pure Garbage™:
    •Lcd Lights- Distorts screen at night. Very obvious placement.
    •Battery Life-poor. Gets too hot to use while charging (my next point)
    •Heat- gets VERY hot with normal usage. Can't use while charging.
    •Camera- 21mp? I get the same quality with my daughter's Nintendo DS..
    •Weight- uncomfortably heavy + sweaty hand from heat + Rubber Back = disaster waiting to happen
    •THICK..Call it a BBC. (Big Bulky Cellphone! Get your mind or the gutter!!)

Why I chose the Nexus 5x:
    •Camera - 9mp less but 100x better. Laser autofocus.
    •Screen - Both LCD, but after countless viewing reviews, the lights aren't eyesores.
    •Fingerprint- so convenient!!
    •Accessories- Nexus has a much larger following. Last 3 Motorola's were hard to find cases for.
    •Updates- for obvious reasons
    •BOOTLOADER- IMPORTANT!! If you had plans on getting to the Moto X Pure and unlocking it, you're sacrificing your warranty to do so. Google allows you to unlock your phone and keep your warranty.

What I lost out on in the switch:
    - Removable memory - 32g is plenty. I have 128gb card in my G3 that doesn't get used
    - 5.7 inch display - Too damn big anyways. The LG G3's 5.5" is pushing my upper limit as far as screens go. Learned on the Moto that 5.7" is a two hand phone, unless you have ogre hands.

Did anyone else choose between devices and get this one? If so what device and why?
    Comments/debates welcomed!
    Came from a 2014 X PE as well. I would still be using it if it weren't for FI network. It's a shame that it doesn't work on it.

As far as the camera, the X got a bad rap. I had that thing taking some good shots. Never a complaint from me.

The display blows the Nexus 5x out of the water. So vibrant, punchy and draws your attention. So far everyone that's checked out my 5x immediately commented on how the display was grey, washed out compared to the moto X.

Moto X seemed faster at nearly every task compared to the 5x. This thing stutters all over the place. Moto has some really awesome features that once you use and lose, you miss...a LOT. attentive display, active notifications, chop flashlight, quiet time...moto really nailed it on the head.

Alas, I'll be keeping it. I went back to Nexus for FI, the battery is slightly better than the moto X which randomly shut off with anywhere from 8-20% still supposedly left.

Still love Nexus devices though, its a fun serviceable device.
    I'm a huge fan of moto, having had the last two moto Xs. I could deal with the garbage cameras because it was nearly pure Google, the size was manageable, customization is boss, and it felt like a quality phone that didn't need a case to be sturdy as hell. The size of the nexus 6 and 6p is what deterred me from them. The 5x is a nice phone with some awesome features and decent battery life but the performance on my 2014 was better (subjectively) and I feel like I'm holding a phone that will break if it falls off the table. I've never felt the need to put a case on my motos unless I was going to the bar or camping, but this guy might need one 24/7
    Coming from MX 2014 Pure (Germany):
    - hated delayed Lollipop update (we got it 2 months after the USA)
    - battery was subpar
    - camera was **** especially in low light conditions
    + cool moto features but almost all of them are now incorporated into M
    + size was perfect
    + moto maker

The smoothness of 5X is much better than on MX 2014 PE. Battery is holding much longer.

I was considering MX2015 but:
    - no fingerprint scanner (motorola got screwed in 2014 by apple buying that fingerprint company but for the 2015 models there is no excuse not to have it!)
    - too big
    - unlocking voids warranty (at least in 2014 model I could flash custom rom and here I don't want to wait for the "official" M update because it will most probably come much later)
    I was considering a Motorola phone and even recommended the Moto G to people who asked, but with the acquisition by Lenovo and the abandonment of the Moto E after promising updates, I can no longer consider or recommend Motorola phones. I am pretty sure it will only get worse as time goes on and Motorola becomes even less Google and more Lenovo. I heard they were laying tons of people off.

Plus being able to unlock and relock the bootloader on the Nexus 5X and still having warranty pushed me over the edge. Also guaranteed updates for two years, and a great developer scene is likely.