• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Why I'm Thrilled about the Pixel 5

Search This thread

flamadiddle

Jan 17, 2011
Pensacola, FL
I know many are disappointed with seemingly mediocre specs for a flagship, but I'm very happy with the design choices in the Pixel 5. Here's why:

1. Aluminum body. I've had enough of the completely impractical "premium" glass bodies that crack when you look at them wrong. Finally a return to something sensible.
  2. Flat OLED. Seems like every flagship has to have curved edges. I haven't seen one phone yet that didn't have imperfections in the curve or drive me crazy with errant touches on the edges. Simple is better.
  3. Return of the fingerprint scanner
  4. NO NOTCH
  5. Reasonable size. It seems like the flagship race always equates "bigger" with "better". I don't subscribe to that theory, and I'm glad to see a more modest size for the Pixel 5.

I do wish it had the Snapdragon 865, Wifi 6, and the telephoto lens, but every other choice was perfect IMO. Even with the CPU, I'm sure that choice was about cost, so it might be the right cost/performance trade-off to go with the 765G. Time will tell, I suppose.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel like this was a step backward or does anyone else feel the same about these design choices?

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
Coming from the Pixel 4, the Pixel 5 has all of the changes I desire. Making it a no brainer, for me.

Lower power chipset / Less PPI / Larger battery -- All culminating to improved battery life. Probably by a good margin, in daily use.
No Active Edge / No Soli -- I disabled Active Edge and motion sense long ago as I found them more annoying than useful. I imagine not having the Soli chip will help to improve battery life even further.
Rear fingerprint reader -- YES!! These days I'm wearing a mask majority of the time I'm trying to use my phone, rendering face unlock useless. Having the fingerprint reader on the back is VERY welcomed.
Wide Angle Camera -- Another great addition. I don't need improved zoom quality. I need to be able to fit more content into a single picture.

The Pixel 5 is an improvement over the Pixel 4 in every way, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: alphasports

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
@sn0warmy Side note: your device history is what I wish mine looked like...

It's been a fun journey. I still remember the day I unboxed my Nexus One, right after it was launched. That was a special feeling and it opened the door into the crazy world of rooting/tinkering on Android devices. 10 years later, I'm making significantly more money with a lot more expensive toys and hobbies. Yet, Pixel launch day still gets me excited, every single year. It's the kid in me that will never grow up. :highfive:

vhl71

Oct 31, 2012
I'm going to get the pixel 5. Currently using 4 XL. My dilemma is that if Google will flash the prices by black Friday like last year. So I may wait till Thanksgiving.
Great price for pixel 5 though

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
@sn0warmy from someone that had the 3 XL - I hope this is a huge improvement as that is my current phone. I have pre-ordered it. What are your thoughts, 3 XL vs P5 (obv you can't say too much besides basing it on specs).

The 3XL was a great phone. But I've come to prefer smaller phones. Which is why I went from the 3XL to the 4 (non-XL). The Pixel 4 is a much better size for daily use, for me. So the Pixel 5 is going to be a great size, as well.

As far as features and specs...
1) The Pixel 5 has 2x the amount of RAM as the 3XL. I've come to learn that more RAM is much more crucial to having a consistently smooth experience over time, rather than having a top of the line processor. So the Snapdragon 765G in the Pixel 5 doesn't concern me in the least bit.

2) The Pixel 5 has a 4000mAh battery, which is nearly an 18% increase in capacity, compared to the 3400mAh battery in the 3XL. the Pixel 5 also has a 6.0" display, vs the 6.3" in the 3XL. But the Pixel 5 is also pushing more total pixels, so that may actually be a hit to battery life, between the two phones. Regardless, the Pixel 5 battery should outlast the 3XL battery by a decent margin.

3) Pictures taken with your Pixel 5 will be better than the 3XL. Will it be a huge improvement? Probably not. But it will be an improvement, nonetheless.

I'm going to get the pixel 5. Currently using 4 XL. My dilemma is that if Google will flash the prices by black Friday like last year. So I may wait till Thanksgiving.
Great price for pixel 5 though

That's actually a really good point, which I failed to consider. Last year Google dropped the price of the Pixel 4 by $200 over Black Friday weekend. It irritated a lot of people.

However, last year Google overestimated demand for the Pixel 4 by almost 30% (SOURCE). They were forced to unload inventory, hence the big price drops over Black Friday weekend and again in January, 2020. This year Google is being much more realistic about the total number of units they expect to sell and have adjusted production accordingly.

I do imagine you'll see some sort of promotion for the Pixel 5 over Black Friday weekend. It's in the best interest of online retailers to offer some sort of promotion when buyers are looking for the best deals. Fun fact: Many big name online retailers will generate upwards of 20% of their total yearly online revenue, just over Black Friday weekend.

With that said, I'll be very surprised if Google drops the price by $200 again. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that over Black Friday weekend you'll be able to snag a Pixel 5 for $75 - $100 off. Worst case, it will likely be a "Gift With Purchase" promotion, in which they give you a new Chromecast ($50 value) when you buy the Pixel 5.

Last edited:

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
I'll be picking up a Pixel 5 a few updates down the road (gotta make sure the bugs and issues are worked out first). The Pixel 4 was a bust. It appears the Pixel 5 fixes all the things that went wrong there. I would get the 4a but it's plastic and not water repellant which is a non-starter.

I don't like bigger phones and coming from a Pixel 2 I think the 5 is just right with more screen real estate. The face unlock feature was just as ridiculous as the notch. So glad they are gone. Looks like I'll be able to pick the phone up and unlock it with the finger print sensor just like before (too easy).

As for the processor, they are so fast these days, they could have told you it was the faster chip and you would never have known. Most people don't do anything so intense that they really need all that extra umph anyway and if it lowers the price of a Google phone, great!

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Coming from the Pixel 4, the Pixel 5 has all of the changes I desire. Making it a no brainer, for me.

Lower power chipset / Less PPI / Larger battery -- All culminating to improved battery life. Probably by a good margin, in daily use.
No Active Edge / No Soli -- I disabled Active Edge and motion sense long ago as I found them more annoying than useful. I imagine not having the Soli chip will help to improve battery life even further.
Rear fingerprint reader -- YES!! These days I'm wearing a mask majority of the time I'm trying to use my phone, rendering face unlock useless. Having the fingerprint reader on the back is VERY welcomed.
Wide Angle Camera -- Another great addition. I don't need improved zoom quality. I need to be able to fit more content into a single picture.

I'm with you on the bigger battery and lower PPI (really lower resolution) to help with battery life but I wish it had the 865 chip. The processor doesn't even have a big impact on battery life when compared to the screen.

I don't care about Soli but I'm really going to miss the active edge. I don't know why you're happy that's gone when you can disable it anyways. Sometimes I like to use the assistant and make sure it's on my phone even if I have other nearby devices. Without active edge the only way to do that is to swipe diagonally from the corners which doesn't work like 75% of the time.

I'm also with you on the rear fingerprint reader. I didn't own a Pixel 4 but I did spend a day with one and the face unlock was awful.

For the camera I'd much rather have a telephoto than a wide angle. The wide angle basically useless to me. I have very often wish I could get closer to the subject of the photo but I've never wish I could get farther away.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

I know many are disappointed with seemingly mediocre specs for a flagship, but I'm very happy with the design choices in the Pixel 5. Here's why:

1. Aluminum body. I've had enough of the completely impractical "premium" glass bodies that crack when you look at them wrong. Finally a return to something sensible.
  2. Flat OLED. Seems like every flagship has to have curved edges. I haven't seen one phone yet that didn't have imperfections in the curve or drive me crazy with errant touches on the edges. Simple is better.
  3. Return of the fingerprint scanner
  4. NO NOTCH
  5. Reasonable size. It seems like the flagship race always equates "bigger" with "better". I don't subscribe to that theory, and I'm glad to see a more modest size for the Pixel 5.

I do wish it had the Snapdragon 865, Wifi 6, and the telephoto lens, but every other choice was perfect IMO. Even with the CPU, I'm sure that choice was about cost, so it might be the right cost/performance trade-off to go with the 765G. Time will tell, I suppose.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel like this was a step backward or does anyone else feel the same about these design choices?

I'm really happy about the aluminum back.

I actually like the feel of the curved edges on my Pixel 2 XL but I honestly don't really carry either way.

It doesn't have a notch but It does have a hole punch which to me is just as bad as the notch. Obstructed screen content is obstructed screen content either way. In fact after learning that the developer option to hide the cutout that was on the Pixel 3 XL isn't on the Pixel 5 has me considering canceling my pre-order.

You make a good point that the flagship race seems to mean bigger is better. I don't even think the Pixel 5 is a modest size I think it's still way too big. I really miss the days of one-handed use and comfortable pocket ability those days have been gone for years and are unlikely to return.

It would be nice to have an actual fast processor instead of the slow 765 but that I think I could probably deal with. I also really wish they would have kept the telephoto of the Pixel 4 instead of going to the wide angle. Or just have three lenses like other phones even at the same price point.

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
I don't care about Soli but I'm really going to miss the active edge. I don't know why you're happy that's gone when you can disable it anyways.

I wouldn't say I'm "happy" it's gone. Rather, I found it to be of little or no use. So removal of the associated hardware, which very well could have negatively impacted the battery, even when disabled, is perfectly fine with me.

Last edited:

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
I wouldn't say I'm "happy" it's gone. Rather, I found it to be of little or no use. So removal of the associated hardware, which very well could have negatively impacted the battery, even when disabled, is perfectly fine with me.
Yeah on stock it was really useless. On custom rom you could assign apps of actions to it which was really good. I think I am going to miss it

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA

It was essentially just a physical button. It wouldn't be a drain on the battery anymore than the volume buttons would is. Now there is no reliable way to activate the Google Assistant without voice which would trigger other near by devices too. That really sucks.

Benjamin_L

Nov 30, 2010
It was essentially just a physical button. It wouldn't be a drain on the battery anymore than the volume buttons would is. Now there is no reliable way to activate the Google Assistant without voice which would trigger other near by devices too. That really sucks.
Most likely due to the aluminum frame. Sad anyway

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.