Why is the Nexus so laggy compared to other phones?

Search This thread

AdrianE46

May 27, 2010
Bucharest
I'm underclocking to a max of 1ghz using franco's kernel and i can't produce lag by repeatedly pressing app drawer and home icons alternatively and fast.
In "car speak" i'd say the problem is somewhere behind the steering wheel. :p
But probably just a bad unit on your side.
Both me and a friend have gnex (me rooted, him stock) and as soon as we got em we met with a mutual friend with a sgs2 to compare. All 3 agreed the gnex runs better. He told us his sgs2 occasionally lagged under heavy load whereas the only time mine ever lagged was after booting for the first 5 seconds. That's it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Baguett

Feb 18, 2011
i am on AOKP 4.0.3 and the only place i feel lag is in the keyboard... other than that it is very good and no lag :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
Yeah a live wallpaper background can really lag things up. That's the experience I've had anyway.

One if the live wallpapers works sweek though. Can't remember the name of it. But none the less, try a static background. = )

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
I had some lag in the keyboard too. When I had it in landscape mode typing a message it was absolutely f'ked. Like took 10 secs to catch up like 4 words typed. It was a faulty unit though. Getting a replacement. That's why I couldn't remember the wallpaper!! Haha. I don't have one atm. = )

Cheers.

ahqball

Nov 2, 2010
Sydney
When there's 99% of users that are happy with their GN and you're a part of the lonely 1% that hates the Galaxy Nexus' performance, there's no doubting that you have a faulty unit.

Unlucky mate, hope you got warranty.. get it changed!

Reactions: fredryk

F_L_Abs

Jun 21, 2010
Honolulu
Original galaxy s2 is definitely smoother than this phone, but it doesn't really bother me.

Side note, I've used almost every att phone including the skyrocket and I feel that this phone is only 2nd to the original s2 as far as performance!

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda premium

MrBIMC

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2012
Chernihiv
lol, OP is troll.
or he has hardware problems.
My phone was unsmooth when I installed Android revolution ROM with GLADOS kernel and custom overclocking software. Any other ways gn works perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

MS.

Aug 7, 2011
Sensation is smooth?! Manlaughstilldeath.jpg I owned that "Sensation" whole two days (couldn't sell any quicker) and it was just incomparably slower then my GN. I do agree on SGS2 - really fastest phone i ever had.

Why it's so fast?

1. Gingerbread is really polished by now.
2. Gingerbreag is lighter. Less running processes - better performance.
3. Only 480x800 resolution. GN has to draw MUCH more pixels.

With that being said, i do believe that ICS will get faster with future updates, but it isn't bad even right now.

biffsmash

Nov 19, 2007
Nexus is a million miles from buttery smooth, and it's much slower than the SGS2 as well.

The only thing nexus has, and even they are laggy and stuttery, is the crappy ICS animations.

Some people obviously dont see the lag, but it's definitely there.

I have tried a good few Nexuses now, and it's there on all of them. The lag and stuttering is on every review i've seen too.

SGS2 is a LOT faster than the Nexus.

Send an SMS on nexus, and when you back out of the thread, slowly I might add as even with the animations turned off, it's slow, and the main sms page says "No conversations" for a split second before they all load in.

To say this phone is buttery smooth, is to smear butter on your eyes and get taken in by the flashy animations, which i'm convinced are there to try to disguise the stutters in app drawer, switching homescreens, and the horrible stuttering when installing apps, all of which the SGS2 did in it's stride, while laughing maniacally at live wallpapers that bring the Nexus crashing to it's knees.

All that said, I love my nexus, and live with all the above as I am used to it and over it. And i'm on stock 4.0.2.

azlan96

Sep 7, 2010
Ampang
I have a stock 4.0.2 Nexus, when I use it, no lag, but when I hand the phone over to my friend(he has an iPhone 4), even with no apps open, the phone starts to lags itself, and when he returned the phone back to me, it stops lagging..

AdrianE46

May 27, 2010
Bucharest
Nexus is a million miles from buttery smooth, and it's much slower than the SGS2 as well.

The only thing nexus has, and even they are laggy and stuttery, is the crappy ICS animations.

I have tried a good few Nexuses now, and it's there on all of them. The lag and stuttering is on every review i've seen too.

Send an SMS on nexus, and when you back out of the thread, slowly I might add as even with the animations turned off, it's slow, and the main sms page says "No conversations" for a split second before they all load in.

To say this phone is buttery smooth, is to smear butter on your eyes and get taken in by the flashy animations, which i'm convinced are there to try to disguise the stutters in app drawer, switching homescreens, and the horrible stuttering when installing apps, all of which the SGS2 did in it's stride, while laughing maniacally at live wallpapers that bring the Nexus crashing to it's knees.

All that said, I love my nexus, and live with all the above as I am used to it and over it. And i'm on stock 4.0.2.
This convinced me. He IS a troll. :D or he actually is the only person on these forums or "the internets" who actually knows what lag is, moreso then longtime modders and especially developers.
OP=

▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄
░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█
░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█
█▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█
░█▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█
░░█░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█
░░░█░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄█░░█░█
░░░░█░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░░░█░█░█░█
░░░░░▀▄░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

Reactions: Protonus and MS.

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
I knew you guys would say stupid **** like this. No it's not OC and not I'm not trolling. I'm just f'in disappointed. To me it looks just choppy. It's not just my phone but all Nexus devices that I have seen.

It just feels like it's frame rate is low. If your looking at your home screen, you have some widgets and press the home button to fly back to the main screen, you can see the frames just drop. It's stupid.

It doesn't hold a candle to my old sensation or the sgs2 that I've played with.

Prior to getting the GNex, I had the Sensation. Comparing a Gnex to a Sensation is like comparing a Ferrari to a Hyundai. The Sensation was a great phone, but it was nowhere nearly as smooth and responsive as the GNex.

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Couldnt be bothered to read the whole thread but...

OP is probably running a laggy live wall. That would cause what he sees.

velocity92c

Aug 5, 2010
I've noticed the same thing. The GN was only smooth for me the day I got it, since then it's gotten slower and slower and barely runs faster than my S1 that I had tweaked so well. Every person I know who has a GN has the same problem. It's not bad, or a lot of lag, but the point is that there shouldn't be ANY. The S2 is a much smoother phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

miketoasty

Sep 13, 2010
I guess I must have gotten a special GNexus as it has been blazing fast since day one and has only got faster since then. Maybe there is something wrong with it?!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    to all with galaxy nexus boners...

the galaxy nexus is cool and all. but its definitely not that great of a phone. i see lag everywhere. being the owner of multiple devices, one being the galaxy s2, i can easily say that the gnexus is nowhere near in competition with it. the s2 blows it out of the water bar so far that i don't even feel the need to explain. but i do like the gnex because its different. i like the style of it, the screen size, and how it feels in my hand. but performance wise, it basically sucks. and i only say that because ive been running my galaxy s2 since release day. i guess i thought the gnex would be some compitition. i was clearly wrong. i dont think anyone in this thread saying the same is trolling. this is the general section. remember that guys. this is where these kinds of things are ok to be posted. :D

i'm really glad i buy my phones outright. my sgs2 is my daily. my gnex is my sitting at home phone.

I am happy for you.

Really.
    Lol someone is trolling.
    I mean the frames are just so slow when you press the app drawer button. I even have it rooted and tried different ROMS and kernals, but I'm beginning to think it is ICS itself. I had a Sensation that seemed like it was running at 60 FPS and it was just smooth. When people say that their Nexus phone is running "buttery smooth" I'm sure they're blind. After playing with my girl friends SGS2, I'm completely jealous of how smooth and snappy her phone is compared to mine.

So the question is, why the hell is Nexus or ICS so damn slow and choppy compared to other phones like the SGS2 and my old Sensation?

This convinced me. He IS a troll. :D or he actually is the only person on these forums or "the internets" who actually knows what lag is, moreso then longtime modders and especially developers.
    OP=

▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄
    ░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█
    ░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
    ░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
    █▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█
    █▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█
    ░█▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█
    ░░█░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█
    ░░░█░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄█░░█░█
    ░░░░█░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░░░█░█░█░█
    ░░░░░▀▄░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
    ░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░█
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
    That, I definitely see. It lags going to the main home on the home screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yeah, agreed. Anyone who can't see this is either in denial, or insensitive to frame drops. This happens on every GN I've ever seen, custom rom, kernel, version number, doesn't matter.

It has to do with the system struggling to animate the homescreen while also animating the "pulse" of the onscreen buttons.

Open an application and then press the home key. Note the smoothness of the home buttons "pulse" animation.

Then, while on your homescreen, just tap your home button, and note the choppiness of the home buttons "pulse". In fact, it works with any of the software keys while on the homescreen. Tap the back button while on the homescreen and see how choppy it is.

Don't even get me started on how poor the performance is when you rotate to landscape mode.

Go to this page: http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/ as an example. Scroll around and pinch to zoom while in portrait mode. Then rotate to landscape and do the same test. If you can't see this difference then you just aren't succeptible to noticing these things in the first place. This has been an issue since the Xoom and Honeycomb 3.0.

I don't think I've seen any response or explanation on Google's part for why performance drops significantly in landscape, since the same number of pixels are being rendered either way...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone