Why is the Nook Color so different?

Search This thread

tekthebeast

Mar 8, 2009
I just ordered a Nook Color from eBay with the $50 off... happy yes I am!:D

I've been with Android since the G1, now I have a droid... how come flashing ROMS and SD cards are so different? You have to put it internally on the Nook instead of on the SD card? Flashing off SD card causes problems? CWR doesn't work? Can anyone explain? It seems much tougher than my droid, just putting the file on my sd card then going to recovery and hitting update, or same with the gTab or Adam.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Unlike most phones, flashing a majority of ROMs (not all) for the NC wipes the Recovery -- ie, wipes it off the device.

So you create a Recovery SD card (the NC auto-boots into it) and then flash ROMs just like you would for a phone. Then take out the SD card when done with Recovery.

tekthebeast

Mar 8, 2009
It wipes only the recovery correct? Not anything on the sd card? Ill search up how to make partition for recovery sd. Thanks.

Sent from my Droid using XDA App

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
It wipes only the recovery correct? Not anything on the sd card? Ill search up how to make partition for recovery sd. Thanks.

Sent from my Droid using XDA App

Yeah, it'll wipe everything on the NC only, and not touch the SD card.

Here's the thread for creating a 3.0.0.6 Recovery SD Card (needed for CM7 Gingerbread ROM):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959240

See post #19 for detailed instructions.

For FroYo I believe you need to use 3.0.0.5, found elsewhere.

NewZJ

Aug 27, 2010
Seattle, Wa
just ordered my NC off ebay too. i'm reading up all i can as fast as i can. coming from an evo where wiping is too easy, this is going to be a bit more complicated, i can't wait!!!

RoboRay

Nov 25, 2010
More complicated, maybe, but also much safer since you basically cannot brick an NC... No matter how badly you screw up the internal flash, you can always boot from SD to fix things.

meatrocket

May 26, 2006
I bought 3 Nook Colors yesterday and rooted every one of them and installed HoneyComb on one, all in less that 2 hours start to finish including downloading images and making the SD card. I made one SD card with CWR with images for the stock ROM, CyanogenMod 7 and HC eMMC v4. It all works flawlessly. This thing really is simple to manipulate. I had more trouble making a gold card and rooting my HTC Inspire!

Droidicus

Aug 3, 2010
Orem
Well I want to chime in on this too now because I'm new to this as well. What are the advantages/disadvantages of nookie froyo on the sd card vs flashing a rom to the internal?

Sent from my Samsuck Vibrant

luigi90210

Jul 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Well I want to chime in on this too now because I'm new to this as well. What are the advantages/disadvantages of nookie froyo on the sd card vs flashing a rom to the internal?

Sent from my Samsuck Vibrant

well sd cards are slow and internal memory(eemc) is fast
if you install froyo/cm7/HC on your eemc it will run much faster vs running from sd card, running from sd card is good though if you want to try out a rom without losing your current setup