Why I've rooted SM-N9860

andriy_

Feb 5, 2018
For few months I used stock N9860 (CHC), but after the Android 11 update Android Auto stopped working (in the car). I guess because of the side loaded of the Play Market etc. Resets, reinstalls etc. didn't help. So I've decided to accept the black side :)
Installed TGY Android 11 firmware (btw, downgrade to Android 10 is possible), rooted using @Mentalmuso TWRP and Magisk (now the phone shows scary red messages during the boot sequence :), fixed SafetyNet check with the proper attestation so file and added native call recording and network indicator to the cscfeatures.xml.
As a result, Android 11 works fine, Android Auto works, Google Pay works etc.
And no more Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass and Secure Folder (I never use them).

Why I haven't done it earlier? :)

Suntaina

Oct 1, 2020
Don't you lose stuff like Netflix in HD, some banking apps, some games and so on.

I'm totally fine with TGY, android auto, banking apps, Samsung pay, Samsung secure folder and so on.

But if you are happy, then great for you!

andriy_

Feb 5, 2018
As long as SafetyNet check is passed with the latest Google security updates it shouldn't be any issues with the apps. I see the Netflix in Play matket at least. (but I have no single reason to use it because of their territory based restrictions and availability of the plex + radarr + sonarr etc.)
The only inconvenience I have is the scary texts during the boot of the device :)

Reactions: Suntaina

dallen5

May 15, 2012
Mobile, AL
For few months I used stock N9860 (CHC), but after the Android 11 update Android Auto stopped working (in the car). I guess because of the side loaded of the Play Market etc. Resets, reinstalls etc. didn't help. So I've decided to accept the black side :)
Installed TGY Android 11 firmware (btw, downgrade to Android 10 is possible), rooted using @Mentalmuso TWRP and Magisk (now the phone shows scary red messages during the boot sequence :), fixed SafetyNet check with the proper attestation so file and added native call recording and network indicator to the cscfeatures.xml.
As a result, Android 11 works fine, Android Auto works, Google Pay works etc.
And no more Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass and Secure Folder (I never use them).

Why I haven't done it earlier? :)
What network are you on?

Reactions: Jack143

a43

Jan 9, 2012
Saint Petersburg
Would you be able to point out on instructions on how to root our great device? I had S8, S10e and never rooted them but now since one fellow XDA member found a hack on how toake eSIM work I'm going to root but don't know how.

P.S. Also I'm on CHC region so Samsung Pay is useless for me there and I never used secure folder and stuff from Samsung.