• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Why no development or custom roms for this device

Search This thread

kiden

Feb 3, 2010
Chicago
It has only been the Verizon version up until recently. In a few months as more people buy and developers buy, you'll see more activity here.

KnightCrusader

Nov 16, 2008
Because the device is ****ING BRAND NEW and not even available in the US unlocked yet.

It's been available for the US for over a month. It was released 8/18 or 8/21, I can't remember which, but I remember it was that weekend.

Shouldn't we also see factory images for this thing too? I don't mind messing with it and poking around but I want a way to go back to stock if I screw something up.

twelfth

It's been available for the US for over a month. It was released 8/18 or 8/21, I can't remember which, but I remember it was that weekend.
Shouldn't we also see factory images for this thing too? I don't mind messing with it and poking around but I want a way to go back to stock if I screw something up.

Look at the date of OP's post.

>> By mysterio619, Senior Member on 10th August 2017, 04:08 PM

He was asking for custom roms before the device was shipping from the factory.

Stock image is already available and has been posted in other threads. It was how I made my TWRP build for the Retus version of the Z2 Play.

They're available here: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/albus/official/RETAIL/

KnightCrusader

Nov 16, 2008
Look at the date of OP's post.

>> By mysterio619, Senior Member on 10th August 2017, 04:08 PM

He was asking for custom roms before the device was shipping from the factory.

Stock image is already available and has been posted in other threads. It was how I made my TWRP build for the Retus version of the Z2 Play.

They're available here: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/albus/official/RETAIL/

The only thing that I am confused about is... is the image the same for all the Z2 Play variants? I seen a bunch of them, from -01 to -07 (I'm not even sure what the US one is, I get mine on Wednesday).

twelfth

The only thing that I am confused about is... is the image the same for all the Z2 Play variants? I seen a bunch of them, from -01 to -07 (I'm not even sure what the US one is, I get mine on Wednesday).

While the Z2 Play are all called "Albus" as a codename, the US is "Retus", Retail US variant of the Albus. (Settings > About Phone > Software Channel) There is an international variant, too, (Probably also called Retin like my Z Play is called) Someone built a TWRP based on an international image and it was incompatible with Retus, so I would not quickly assume that images are interchangeable until roms are built against a device tree (Like LineageOS keeps) with all the variant differences merged together into the kernel.

KnightCrusader

Nov 16, 2008
While the Z2 Play are all called "Albus" as a codename, the US is "Retus", Retail US variant of the Albus. (Settings > About Phone > Software Channel) There is an international variant, too, (Probably also called Retin like my Z Play is called) Someone built a TWRP based on an international image and it was incompatible with Retus, so I would not quickly assume that images are interchangeable until roms are built against a device tree (Like LineageOS keeps) with all the variant differences merged together into the kernel.

Okay, so the stock image you linked isn't the one we need for Retus then? That's what I want to have as a fallback.

roy92

Apr 4, 2013

Albus is the device code name i.e. the hardware's code name. Retus, reteu, retca, retin etc are the software channels. So all variants of Z2 play will be called Albus (except maybe the Verizon locked ones or 3gb /4b ram variants or ones with/without nfc maybe called differently I don't know) whereas they will be on different software channels. I am assuming it is exactly the same for a particular hardware variant(for eg i have one with NFC and 4gb ram and all unlocked z2 play phones in all markets with 4gb ram and NFC will have same software) that is available unlocked in all markets of the world .

Edit: Posts I am basing my assumptions on:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/z2...-updates-questions-help-t3674133/post73819819

https://forum.xda-developers.com/z2...-updates-questions-help-t3674133/post73866594

Last edited:

CharlieBros

Mar 20, 2012
Mexico City
This is the first phone I haven't felt the need to have a custom ROM for absolutely nothing, it's just veeery stock with exactly the thingy majiggis I would install anyway, and also have the fortune that my carrier is the cleanest carrier of all, absolutely no bloatware whatsoever, only the radio "PRIP" service. Not saying it wouldn't be great to have some custom action, but not really having a hurry for it.

Reactions: bijixda

paed808

Mar 17, 2012
Not planning on rooting mine yet, but I'm curious, does the TWRP for Retus work on Retca (Canada) my variant has 3GB of ram and NFC

pizza_pablo

Dec 6, 2013
PNW
I'm close to being where a don't feel the need to root.
I miss battery bar with no battery icon and dark backgrounds, but I could probably live without.
What I can't live without is Dolby Atmos.
I'm just bit gushy about rooting, with no official TWRP and original firmware available from Motorola.

TravellingGuy

Feb 21, 2010
I miss battery bar with no battery icon and dark backgrounds, but I could probably live without.

You actually don't need root to do the battery stuff, you can do this with stock. Enable the hidden System UI Tuner (https://lifehacker.com/the-coolest-things-you-can-do-with-androids-hidden-syst-1773364942), then you can disable the battery icon.

Then just go grab one of the battery bar apps from the Play store. I use Power Bar (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.etechtour.batterybar&hl=en)

Reactions: pizza_pablo

Top Liked Posts