Why Redmi 5 Plus is my last Xiaomi phone ever ?

Search This thread

AndroGeek911

Mar 28, 2018
After having 3 Redmi phones i think i finally have enough.
Once i had Redmi 3S, Redmi 4X, then Redmi 5 Plus. I don't think i will buy a new one and here's why.

1) Well, they had great specs for their price, but they compromise durability by using cheap, weak and low-series aluminum to make their phones. That's why Mi5 and Redmi Note 3 failed Jerry's durability test. Basically, these are one drop phones. Europe is used to durable phones like Nokia, LG or Sony.

2) Software. MIUI 8 was great, had alot of features and MIUI 9 made things faster, but... My annoyance level is similar to dealing with Meizu phones. Some themes make unwanted changes to my home screen layout. Messenger notifications are quiet, just silent pop sound instead of normal messenger sound when screen is locked and off. On Redmi 5 Plus i had YouTube issue, where video as well as whole UI was freezing sometimes. This was ridiculous.

3) Ads ! Ads everywhere ! They started pop up in system apps such as Music, Videos , Themes and Settings after MIUI 9 update. Xiaomi, are you serious ? That is definitely unacceptable.

4) After MIUI 9.5 update themes app disappeard from my phone. To restore it, i had to change region to United States.

I switched back to Windows Phone.
Ads on system apps? I dont think so. Check carefully it might be some other app. and switching back to windows phone? For real!!!

upilngapung

Jun 9, 2018
For me, personally, although I believe it won't matter to other users here is the feeling of regret after buying the redmi 5 plus.

The regret i now feel nowadays is that xiaomi keeps releasing phones with the exact same specs and visual cues as our beloved phone here.

The Y2, Redmi 5 Pro, the Global Note 5, etc. All of them are basically almost the same, the front side is completely the same and it's kinda irritating for me. The back side however, adds dual camera and unibody metal design which is a plus point for me, and they released them with identical prices which is the biggest regret for ever buying this phone.

What worries me more is the system update they will be rolling in the future, a lot of phones in the same price segment means a lot to be worked on, risking the stagnant development in somewhat older phones (2-3 months older than the same phone in the segment which is ours).

The gap between the Redmi 4X and the 5/5 Plus family is almost a year (cmiiw) while in this first 2 quartals of 2018 there are already a dozen of same segement phones announced.

There are nothing wrong with this phone, i really liked it, my first xiaomi (and cheap chinese phone) ever. The price to performance ratio is beyond awesome.

It's only that there are a lot of phones in the same quality from the same manufacturer that worries me the worst, and making me regret not waiting till late July to sell my Xperia Z4 which is still working perfectly, to switch over to Xiaomi. (And saving up to buy the Mi8 ofc :') )

h0ttentot

Oct 9, 2015
My only complain is about myself really. I should check which model has official LineageOS support before buying a phone. These crappy custom roms are the worst.

upilngapung

Jun 9, 2018
Dual cameras are a thing of the past, new software means you only need 1 camera nowdays.
Unibody is irrelevant because everyone uses a case, lol.
The front is the same which is fine, it's the perfect design.
I would also like to buy the mi8 or the mi a2 lite!
I sold my Xperia X and lost heaps of money on it, just couldn't keep using it with its tiny screen after buying redmi 5 plus beast.
Love my Redmi 5 Plus and will be sticking with Xiaomi phones as they simply own other brands.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Lineage was good, but pixel experience and liquidOS are better ;)
Also the android P GSI will be released soon, it will work on all treble phones, like our Redmi 5 Plus :cowboy:

For me personally, using a case is to hide the hideous back of the phone lmao. I used it on my M4 Aqua bcs altho it's good, it's plastic and the glass-likeness would be destroyed if i don't protect it. I don't use it on my Z4 as i never dropped my phone from height more than 1 m, and damn flagship Xperia phones never ceases to amaze me (by term of physical design ofc). I use one for Redmi 5 Plus bcs the metal combined with plastic parts doesn't look good, and has no grip (keeps slipping off to my face).

Regarding to the brand, i think I'd buy another xiaomi, they keep getting better and better overtime imho.

G

GuestK0075

Once i had Redmi 3S, Redmi 4X, then Redmi 5 Plus. I don't think i will buy a new one and here's why.

1) Well, they had great specs for their price, but they compromise durability by using cheap, weak and low-series aluminum to make their phones. That's why Mi5 and Redmi Note 3 failed Jerry's durability test. Basically, these are one drop phones. Europe is used to durable phones like Nokia, LG or Sony.

2) Software. MIUI 8 was great, had alot of features and MIUI 9 made things faster, but... My annoyance level is similar to dealing with Meizu phones. Some themes make unwanted changes to my home screen layout. Messenger notifications are quiet, just silent pop sound instead of normal messenger sound when screen is locked and off. On Redmi 5 Plus i had YouTube issue, where video as well as whole UI was freezing sometimes. This was ridiculous.

3) Ads ! Ads everywhere ! They started pop up in system apps such as Music, Videos , Themes and Settings after MIUI 9 update. Xiaomi, are you serious ? That is definitely unacceptable.

4) After MIUI 9.5 update themes app disappeard from my phone. To restore it, i had to change region to United States.

You shouldn't disregard an entire manufacturer because of your inability to research before buying a new phone. What do two year old devices like the Mi5 and the Redmi Note 3 have to do with anything? You also have the choice of not buying those, as they are nowhere near as worth it in 2018. It can be argued Xiaomi only became well-known as a manufacturer of unparalleled price/performance devices with the release of the Redmi Note 5. All of your other issues can be solved by using a custom ROM and it is more baffling you are even making these points while posting on XDA. Research next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf-qjmALAM

Mordar

Sep 11, 2012
My only complain is about myself really. I should check which model has official LineageOS support before buying a phone. These crappy custom roms are the worst.

This right here, the custom roms are not crappy though, been using Pixel Experience and Havoc with no issues whatsoever, but support is either poor or non existant which makes it hard to actually get newer updates on this redmi 5 plus while at the same time the Redmi Note 5 (pro) has a Pixel experience roms already....

jerbau

Nov 5, 2012
Removing ads is not as difficult if you just be more diligent to do some research.

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_213811.jpg
    IMG_20180923_213811.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 419

lawong

Sep 23, 2010
Huawei P40 Pro
im a loyal xiaomi phones too , been using lots of xiaomi variant : mi3(few pcs),mi4,redmi note 1 ,redmi note 2 (few pcs),redmi note 3(mtk and sd)(few pcs) ,mi a1 (few pcs) , redmi note 4x(few pcs), redmi note 5 ai , redmi 5 plus ,mi max (few pcs) .
but yah 5 plus gonna be my last (primary) xiaomi phone because some downgrade that had made to their phones quality, the worst is removing rgb led notification and replacing it with dim white only led notification( the last mi phone with more brighter led notification was mi a1 ), it was my priority when choosing a phone.
the only reason for me to choose xiaomi now is their affordable device and of course for lots custom rom to choose with .

akiroJo

Mar 16, 2013
Sir, you are literally mentioning problems related to MIUI while in a community development forum, I mean why are we are? Because we don't want to stay on OEM supplied bloatware, that's the base of custom roms!
Spot On, those issues mentiined by OP is negligible to the fact that, customs roms offers a variety of taste whichever we like best. Besides, those issues are patchable via updates nothing much hardware related failures or errors and the likes whatsoever.

Reactions: AmulyaX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After having 3 Redmi phones i think i finally have enough ....
    The first thing to do with a Xiaomi device is to replace miui with a more sensible ROM.
    Redmi Note 5 is my first Xiaomi phone, and i can say that my next phone will 100% be Xiaomi again, why ? Because i had a Sony phone which i dropped from half a meter and the whole screen came out, couldn't be rooted and nobody bothered to make good roms for it. My note 5 has been dropped 3-4 times on hard cement, just the plastic part got scuffed. I haven't seen an AD during my use with stock MIUI , haven't had any freezes and i could give a rats booty about the theme app.
    lmao so instead of embracing the value Xiaomi devices and understand compromises you move over to an officially dead phone OS?

2) Software. My Redmi 3s had MIUI 7 out of the box, so i disabled some google poop i don't use and then updated to MIUI 8, unexpectedly bricking my phone for next 3 days until i was allowed to unlocked the bootloader, which was necessary to re-flash the device. MIUI 8 was great, had alot of features and MIUI 9 made things faster, but... My annoyance level is similar to dealing with Meizu phones. Some themes make unwanted changes to my home screen layout. Messenger notifications are quiet, just silent pop sound instead of normal messenger sound when screen is locked and off. On Redmi 5 Plus i had YouTube issue, where video as well as whole UI was freezing sometimes. This was ridiculous.

thats what i do, always:D
    before buying a phone instead checking its review i just come on xda and see how good is development. and thats enough for me to make a decision. :D
    Yes, that is the way to do it.