Why won't Google Maps recalculate with no data?

Search This thread

triangulumair

Nov 28, 2022
The Google Maps app before sometime in 2020 or early 2021 used to recalculate without a problem if you missed a turn, if you had the maps of the area downloaded and the app set to "Wifi only".

But for well over a year now, Google Maps simply refuses to recalculate if you miss a turn any more, even if you've made sure to take all the steps I've mentioned.

If you miss a turn, you have to stop and manually enter the route again, or else have data turned on and then it will recalculate as it used to. So if you run out of data, as people on set data plans often do, then Google Maps becomes essentially useless as a reliable car sat nav even if you have the maps you need downloaded offline.

So I guess this is a Google decision to force their users to use more data, maybe they don't like people using their app economically in that way? Perhaps they resent people trying to save money and are trying to force you to spend more money on data?

Why are tech companies always determined to make things worse? They always needlessly remove functionality from their products that just make the users' lives more difficult.

I did read speculation online that this is just a "bug" and Google plan to fix it, but I don't believe that. The Google Maps app has behaved in this way for so long now that I can't see how it is anything other than a deliberate move on the part of Google. I don't understand why Google Maps still pretends to offer offline functionality when the reality is it does not any longer and hasn't for a long while now.

triangulumair

Nov 28, 2022
What's the point? There are threads on their support forums where people have reported it, they clearly don't care as it's been this way for over 2 years now. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why Google have decided to do this, or what exactly they have changed in their app.

I guess a lot of people just dismiss my views on this as me being a cheapskate who should just pay for the data to use Google Maps, but what about when you go to a foreign country and have no roaming agreement? Just pay the rip off data fees per MB?

Maybe people think I should just buy a new sim card in each country, and just pay pay pay all the time rather than being able to download maps and navigate offline? Maybe that's the answer and I'm in the wrong?

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
The Google Maps app before sometime in 2020 or early 2021 used to recalculate without a problem if you missed a turn, if you had the maps of the area downloaded and the app set to "Wifi only".

But for well over a year now, Google Maps simply refuses to recalculate if you miss a turn any more, even if you've made sure to take all the steps I've mentioned.

If you miss a turn, you have to stop and manually enter the route again, or else have data turned on and then it will recalculate as it used to. So if you run out of data, as people on set data plans often do, then Google Maps becomes essentially useless as a reliable car sat nav even if you have the maps you need downloaded offline.

So I guess this is a Google decision to force their users to use more data, maybe they don't like people using their app economically in that way? Perhaps they resent people trying to save money and are trying to force you to spend more money on data?

Why are tech companies always determined to make things worse? They always needlessly remove functionality from their products that just make the users' lives more difficult.

I did read speculation online that this is just a "bug" and Google plan to fix it, but I don't believe that. The Google Maps app has behaved in this way for so long now that I can't see how it is anything other than a deliberate move on the part of Google. I don't understand why Google Maps still pretends to offer offline functionality when the reality is it does not any longer and hasn't for a long while now.
Have you tried clearing cache and data for Google Maps?

Maybe Google made changes to Google Maps to improve accuracy, changes that require data to be enabled to more accurately pinpoint your actual location while navigating.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
What's the point? There are threads on their support forums where people have reported it, they clearly don't care as it's been this way for over 2 years now. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why Google have decided to do this, or what exactly they have changed in their app.

I guess a lot of people just dismiss my views on this as me being a cheapskate who should just pay for the data to use Google Maps, but what about when you go to a foreign country and have no roaming agreement? Just pay the rip off data fees per MB?

Maybe people think I should just buy a new sim card in each country, and just pay pay pay all the time rather than being able to download maps and navigate offline? Maybe that's the answer and I'm in the wrong?
I'm using OsmAnd+ offline with OpenStreetMap, and I'm very satisfied. Actually, I don't use anything by Google, no Google Play Services by microG.

Top Liked Posts