Question Widevine Certificate Download

Search This thread

romhippo.com

Dec 12, 2010
Hi,

I have a Chinese Pad 5. Global ROM installed and rooted. The device is L1 certified. So far so good.

It seems quite common that the L1 certificates get lost on Xiaomi devices (custom ROM or Miui). But you can restore the certificate on devices with fingerprints using

Settings > Password & Security > Fingerprint Unlock > Fingerprint paymets > Widevine L1 > Download certificate

However the Pad 5 does not have a fingerprint ...

Does anybody know how to restore the certificate in this case?

Last edited:
Reactions: xmae

Felk96

Dec 20, 2021
Download "Activity Launcher" from Playstore and search "fingerprint". Click on the "payment with the fingerprint".
You can download the certificate but it still not working...

Reactions: romhippo.com

romhippo.com

Dec 12, 2010
Download "Activity Launcher" from Playstore and search "fingerprint". Click on the "payment with the fingerprint".
Thanks for that. I actually had tried this already, but couldn't find that activity. After your post, I remembered I had debloated some Xiaomi apps with XiaomiADBFastbootTools. But I re-installed some again, and the activity appeared ... (I obviously debloated after that again ...)

"Unfortunately" I couldn't test it, because my Chinese device still has L1 and also Netflix runs on L1, but it is good to know how to download the certificate.

Global devices seems to have L1, but L3 in Netflix. In that case the download won't help, I guess.

Felk96

Dec 20, 2021
This is the activity. I've Pad 5 EEA.
IMG_20211222_212420.jpg
Screenshot_2021-12-22-21-26-35-438_com.miui.cloudservice.jpg

Etmors

Oct 5, 2021
I've explained this on the Prime Video HD thread, as this is the same issue.
So far the only solution is to Clear all data (not just the cache, or just uninstall then reinstall) for Netflix app (you will be logged out). Restart the device, then log back in again (you will need to restart before logging back in, else it wouldn't work). This will reset your certification back to L1. Sometimes the downgrade to L3 doesn't happen for days, sometimes it happen through the whole day. Such I don't even know anything else that I change or did not change actually affects anything.

romhippo.com

Dec 12, 2010
I've explained this on the Prime Video HD thread, as this is the same issue.
So far the only solution is to Clear all data (not just the cache, or just uninstall then reinstall) for Netflix app (you will be logged out). Restart the device, then log back in again (you will need to restart before logging back in, else it wouldn't work). This will reset your certification back to L1. Sometimes the downgrade to L3 doesn't happen for days, sometimes it happen through the whole day. Such I don't even know anything else that I change or did not change actually affects anything.
I think you misunderstood this topic. This is not about the Netflix L1 issue (which I don't have fortunately). It is about the Xiaomi L1 certificate. It is quite common that the certificate "disappears" for some reason (a bug probably). Just check all the "Xiaomi phone forums" ... Luckily Miui allows us to download a new certificate. And now we know how to do that on this device too. Thanks to @Felk96

Etmors

Oct 5, 2021
I think you misunderstood this topic. This is not about the Netflix L1 issue (which I don't have fortunately). It is about the Xiaomi L1 certificate. It is quite common that the certificate "disappears" for some reason (a bug probably). Just check all the "Xiaomi phone forums" ... Luckily Miui allows us to download a new certificate. And now we know how to do that on this device too. Thanks to @Felk96
They're the same issue. The Netflix missing L1 happened because the device L1 certificate had gone missing randomly (downgraded to L3), which is not a netflix isolated issue. Netflix doesn't have a L1 certificate, the L1 certificate is on your device, Netflix just read/detect what Widevine level are you at.

Like you said, on xiaomi devices with a fingerprint sensor, we only had to redownload the certificate in the security settings. However in out of the box Global version Pad 5, just by restarting, you will get a new L1 Certificate. I had checked this using DRM Info, whenever your L1 disappears, check DRM Info and it will says L3, do a restart, and check it again with DRMinfo, it'll now show L1 again, until the bug reappears.

The "clear netflix app" I mentioned (as one of many application that checks Widvine L* certificate), was just because of the specific behavior of netflix, that they're stuck with the last lowest certificate the phone had, even if you got your L1 certificate back. Netflix in particular will still assume you're using the last L3 certificate, and won't detect your new L1 until you cleared the app and logging back in. Other streaming apps like PrimeVideo does not behave like that, as long as your current widevine is at level 1 they'll show HD contents again.

As I don't really use other streaming service than those two, I can't really sure that other streaming service would behave like netflix or like prime video. And what I were trying to say is, even if you had your L1 certificate back (from either methods), but the service still won't play HD content back, try clearing app's data.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I have a Chinese Pad 5. Global ROM installed and rooted. The device is L1 certified. So far so good.

It seems quite common that the L1 certificates get lost on Xiaomi devices (custom ROM or Miui). But you can restore the certificate on devices with fingerprints using

Settings > Password & Security > Fingerprint Unlock > Fingerprint paymets > Widevine L1 > Download certificate

However the Pad 5 does not have a fingerprint ...

Does anybody know how to restore the certificate in this case?