• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Widevine DRM, Level 1, and Root

Search This thread

Nosferatu.

Dec 20, 2011
Tampa, Florida
As the title states, is there a way to get this going?

I picked up a OnePlus 6 which supports L1. Once I rooted the device it appears to have dropped to L3. Is there a way to keep root and have L3? The only instance I care about this for is YouTube TV. It's not so much the resolution but the frame rate. 60 FPS content isn't available unless you're at 720p minimum and L3 only gives you a maximum of 480p which is at 30 FPS. I tried searching couldn't find any topic of discussion.

Is my only way to get back to L1 to unroot and relock the bootloader?

Reactions: RusherDude

TuxRuffian

Jun 13, 2018
OnePlus 8 Pro

Unfortunately yes. It has nothing to do with root, but Widevine L1 requires a locked bootloader on all android devices. More detailed information is available here. Seems like it would make more people more likely to pirate the content since they can't use the services they actually pay for like Netflix, Amazon, Google, etc; but I that's DRM for ya.

Reactions: RusherDude

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title states, is there a way to get this going?

I picked up a OnePlus 6 which supports L1. Once I rooted the device it appears to have dropped to L3. Is there a way to keep root and have L3? The only instance I care about this for is YouTube TV. It's not so much the resolution but the frame rate. 60 FPS content isn't available unless you're at 720p minimum and L3 only gives you a maximum of 480p which is at 30 FPS. I tried searching couldn't find any topic of discussion.

Unfortunately yes. It has nothing to do with root, but Widevine L1 requires a locked bootloader on all android devices. More detailed information is available here. Seems like it would make more people more likely to pirate the content since they can't use the services they actually pay for like Netflix, Amazon, Google, etc; but I that's DRM for ya.