[WIDGET] Phantom Music Control Pro for WidgetLocker | Now with DashClock Extension!

What player you want me to support in future versions? (no promises there)

• Stock Samsung

Votes: 195 14.6%
  • Stock Sony Ericsson

Votes: 98 7.3%
  • Stock Android 2.3+

Votes: 217 16.3%
  • PowerAMP

Votes: 394 29.5%
  • Winamp

Votes: 182 13.6%
  • BeyondPod

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • doubleTwist

Votes: 58 4.3%
  • Meridian

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • MIUI Player

Votes: 162 12.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
Description
Simple music control widget capable of hiding itself while there is no track playing. It is designed to be used with WidgetLocker Lockscreen, however it is possible to use it on your homescreen as well.

Why would I code something like this?
I have switched from Sense to CyanogenMod, and I just hated its lockscreen. So I installed WidgetLocker, and set it up so it looks and behaves like HTC Sense lockscreen. However, I missed some decent music control, because all the widgets made me start playback in my pocket when I did not wanted to. So I just coded my own widget able to hide itself when there is no active playback. Since there is a lot of users with various requests, I am working on support of more players all the time.

Download
Phantom Music Control (Google Play)

Phantom Music Control Pro (Google Play)

Changelog
Code:
1.67:
- DashClock Widget Extension
- New chromeless theme
- Several bugfixes

1.66:
- Various bugfixes

1.65:
- It is now possible to change music player via launcher icon
- Improved Sony Walkman compatibility
- Added instructions for Winamp users who do not receive track info
- Fixed bug that caused the widget not to hide on some phones

1.64:
- New CarbonRoundBlueGlow theme by Jeppe Foldager
- Sony Walkman (Xperia) support
- Better landscape support (widget doesn't lose information, text is not cropped)
- Official Last.fm support, that allows you to show track info i.e. in n7 Player

1.63:
- Usable as Android 4.2 lockscreen widget
- 2 new themes by DeVviL
- Updated translations (now localised to 19 languages!)
- Some bugs and crashes fixed

1.62.x:
- Fixed bugs and FCs. I am SO SORRY for the inconvenience, that I couldn't possibly be any more sorry. Please, review your rating if you 1-starred the app. Thank you.

1.62:
- Due to new Google Play policies, PayPal payment option had to be removed
- Holo theme implemented
- The widget should be able to wake itself soon after it has been killed by 3rd party app
- API (used in Web Remote for Phantom Music) no longer requires the widget to be actually placed on screen
- Several bugfixes

1.61:
- Market purchase available!
- Fixed 1.5 compatibility
- Added timeout option for Advanced Compatibility Mode (for support purposes)
- Updated translations

1.60:
- Settings available from launcher, it is not needed to remove the widget anymore
- Text color can be changed now
- Fixed "Show music player on touch" for Advanced compatibility mode
- Fixed situations when you had to enter activation key while already activated
- It was made clear that there is also refund policy for people unsure about purchase
- Updated translations

1.59.1:
- Unfortunately, new version of doubleTwist no longer supports service binding. Therefore it is needed to use Advanced compatibility mode instead. Sorry for your trouble, I cannot control this.

1.59:
- PlayerPro fixed
- Ads removed from free version
- Some Samsung users can now use Stock 2.3 profile if Samsung does not work right
- Translations updated. Now localised to: English, German, Dutch, Korean, French, Turkish, Czech, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian, Russian
- Advanced Compatibility Mode tweaked for Samsung users
- Some minor performance tweaks

1.58.2:
- Bugfixes regarding 3rd party support, Google Music, UberMusic, etc.

1.58.1:
- Fixed bug in broadcast sending (for developers)

1.58:
- Support for 3rd party apps to utilize Phantom's wide range of controllable players
- Some performance and battery life optimizations; if you experience battery drains from older versions, please uninstall Phantom completely and install it again
- Added Turkish translation, French updated

1.57:
- Localised to Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian and Russian (some fully, some partially); thanks to all the translators!
- Changed activation system, so users does not have to contact me when they flash different ROM (experimental)
- With next version of BeyondPod, scrobbling should not be required anymore

1.56:
- Native BeyondPod support (experimental)
- New Aero theme (WMP style)
- UberMusic modified for new package name (Beta 1); Alpha is still supported by Advanced compatibility mode
- Ability to hide control buttons (requested by some users to only display track info)
- Advanced compatibility mode tweaked to be more reliable
- Translation support
- Hot-swap icon has lower opacity

1.55:
- Music player hot-swap (ability to change the controlled player in real time)
- Scrollable track information
- Ability to open any music player in Advanced compatibility mode
- Increased Advanced compatibility mode performance (let me know if you experience any problems)

1.54:
- Compatibility mode tweaked for MIUI
- ScrobbleDroid and SLS can be used to read track info in compatibility mode (works with BeyondPod, Zimly, and many others; you do not need to install the scrobblers)
- Ability to swap the track information order

1.53:
- UberMusic (Fede's Music App) support
- New Metro theme (WP7 style)
- Custom background settings (any color, any opacity)

1.52:
- Advanced compatibility mode tweaked for MortPlayer
- License activation dialog fixed for copy&paste
- New License model - version Pro prices from under $0.99! (all current licenses work as transferable 3-device licenses)

1.51:
- Advanced compatibility mode tweaked for Meridian and ³/Cubed

1.50:
Introducing Phantom Music Control Pro!

Phantom Music Control Pro has some great new features:

- Android 2.3 (and higher) stock music player support
- New Google Music player support
- Advanced compatibility mode that supports any player with headset controls (i.e. Winamp)
- Experimental Samsung support
- Honeycomb theme
- Ad-free
- And you will support independent developer and encourage me to add new awesome features!

1.12:
- Natively supports PowerAMP
- Compatibility mode, that allows some root users with custom ROM to control almost any media player (2.3/Gingerbread stock, Winamp, etc.)
- Battery saving mode is turned off by default because of some problems in Android 2.3/Gingerbread

1.11:
- doubleTwist Player is now supported

1.10:
- Music PlayerPro support! (full version only, trial is not supported)
- Added donation guidelines for users without PayPal account
- If you use "Show music player on touch", it will get you to "Now playing" screen during playback in some players (stock and MusicMOD do not allow this, HTC and PlayerPro do)

1.9:
- Added new Sense-like theme (thanks to  [user=841415]@GMKcz[/user] for the screens!)
- Some layout cleanups

1.8:
Fixed two embarrasing and long-lasting bugs

- Music player now can be launched on HTC as well
- Donation button fixed; please buy me a beer if you like the widget - I put wrong link to ALL older versions

Thank you, Ryan, for noticing and testing! 

1.7:
- Added tasty chromeless theme (see screenshots)
- Volume buttons were made easier to reach
- Added option to hide current track info
- Some minor layout cleanups

1.6:
- Bugfix: "Problem loading widget" resolved definitively; themes and opacity settings only work on Android 2.2/Froyo and higher
- Music player can be started by clicking on a song name as well
- Buttons were remastered to higher resolution

1.5:
- Possibility to show volume control (optional)
- Fixed battery saving mode

1.4.2:
- Fixed background issue I have caused. Sorry for that. I need some rest.

1.4.1:
- Fixed "Problem loading widget" and "Force close" on some configurations. If you still experience this issues, please uninstall the widget, reboot your phone and install it again. Thank you for understanding.

1.4:
- Added battery saving mode that consumes almost zero energy (if you had any battery issues with Phantom, simply uninstall it and install again; it should disappear)
- Added inverted theme with black buttons on white background
- It is now possible to start music application by touching widget background (experimental feature, might not work correctly)
- Bug fix: The background no longer disappears

1.3:
- Possibility to choose opacity of the background
- Minor visual changes and settings+defaults cleanup
- Bug fix: If "wait for WidgetLocker to unlock" is checked, widget no longer shows up on lockscreen if playback was already stopped

1.2:
- Compatible with new versions of Music Mod (1.8+)
- Possibility to hide widget on WidgetLocker unlock (such as HTC Sense lockscreen does it) - please note that it might be delayed
- Possibility to reveal the hidden widget on touch for a while
- Delay can be set to shorter intervals now

1.1:
Fixed player detection and switching (restart no longer needed)

Info for 3rd party developers:
You can use Phantom Music Control Pro to control music from your own application. Just check "Allow 3rd party apps to control music" in widget settings, and you are ready to send some intents.

Broadcast intents received:
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PLAY
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PAUSE
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PLAY_PAUSE
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PREV
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.NEXT
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.VOLUME_DOWN
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.VOLUME_UP

Broadcast intent returned:
cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.TRACK_INFO
with 2 extras:
- String named "label" with song info formatted by user's preferences
- Boolean named "playing" with playstate (true = playing, false = stopped/paused)

Attachments

• sense.jpg
    sense.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8,181
  • standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7,326
  • chromeless.jpg
    chromeless.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8,679
  • inverted.jpg
    inverted.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 6,453
  • honeycomb.jpg
    honeycomb.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4,520
  • metro.jpg
    metro.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 4,387
  • aero.jpg
    aero.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 3,830
  • Screenshot_2013-08-02-08-38-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-02-08-38-49.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
Of course, I have missed some bug right before release. App was updated on Market.

Changelog
1.1:

Last edited:

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
would it be possible to add support for music mod?
my phone has music mod instead of the stock music player, but it doesn't work with your widget.
i've actually been looking for a widget like this for a while.

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
Actually, I do have modded stock player (bundled with CyanogenMod), and one of my testers has Music MOD installed along with Sense player, and it works for both of us. Have you tried switching between auto-detection and Android player in widget settings? And most importantly - do you have 1.1 upgrade from Market?

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
got the latest version of the widget, tried all the widget's settings, even tried removing the pre-installed music-mod and re-installing it from market.
it still doesn't detect music-mod.

EDIT: problem seems to only occur with music-mod 1.8, perhaps because that one is designed to be installed next to the stock music player rather than replacing it.
got it working for now with a music-mod 1.7.5.2

EDIT2: just thought of 2 things that might make the widget even better:
1: let the user set the time-out in seconds using a text(number) entry box(if possible one with arrow buttons like the alarm clock and calendar apps), rather than a slide.
i find 1 minute to be too long, and immediate too quick.
2: allow the user to set an action when the widget is touched in it's hidden state, a few possible actions: do nothing(like it's now), launch music player, play/unpause music, reveal widget for a short time.

Last edited:

rciucki

Oct 20, 2010
great idea, kudos!

I wish this were able to be implemented into other players, as I use PowerAMP.

But I love the idea, I always wanted a feature like this so I didn't have my PowerAMP music widget displayed on my lockscreen at all times.

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
Thanks for the great ideas! I will focus on following:
- Install Music Mod 1.8.0 and analyse what is going on there
- Hiding the widget on unlock the way HTC lockscreen does it
- Change the slider to shorter intervals
- Short reveal of the widget on touch

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
New version released for your pleasure :)

Changelog
1.2:
- Possibility to hide widget on WidgetLocker unlock (such as HTC Sense lockscreen does it) - please note that it might be delayed

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
thanks, works great.
still keeping music-mod 1.7.5.2 though, because it acts more stock than 1.8.

i did notice the widget interferes with itself, but it's not that big of a problem.
when you use the widget on multiple screens(so either on 2 homescreen pages, or on your homescreen and on widgetlocker) pressing play/pause on one of the widgets doesn't trigger a hide/reveal on the other.
but i think fixing that would require an underlying service which would also mean redoing a lot of your work.

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
Yeah, unfortunately, the widget is not designed for more than one instance :-(. But sice it's designed specifically for WidgetLocker, I guess you can just use some full-featured widget (Pure Music, Music Mod, etc.) in your launcher, just as I do :).

munwaioblivious

Sep 21, 2010
i like it's new look. hope that in near future that it can change its background to transparent. and not working on stock music player on galaxy S

alovell83

Jun 29, 2010
Lippstadt
Warning
It is not compatible with Samsung (I am working on it).

I missed some decent music control, because all the widgets made me start playback in my pocket when I did not wanted to. So I just coded my own widget able to hide itself when there is no active playback.

Hi, I have Samsung and widgetlocker (currently uninstalled because of previous battery life issues, but it's been a few months so I should test again), so I'm interested in this but obviously not able to help with feedback. I thank you for getting on the Samsung coding.

I do have two questions, what happened with the widgets with playback in your pocket and why? Was your phone/screen activating itself/turning on > your leg would touch the widget > suddenly have music playing? Am I understanding correct?

Second, and I think this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways. This will take up the space for the widget whether the widget is hidden or not, right? So, nothing could be underneath (probably a bad term) which will be in the foreground when the widget is hidden, right? I think that's maybe impossible, but definitely cool if possible, I'd have no problem with this going on top of something like power control when I have music on. Just a dumb thought.

Can't wait to try it out.

Johny_G

May 27, 2009
Prague
www.gruncl.cz
randomelements: Thanks. I actually thought about this for a while, but it took me some time to get my ass up and code it :).
munwaioblivious: There will be possibility to turn the background off. I did not even want it there, but it seemed to be a good way to support all possible wallpapers for the beginning. However, I am still clueless about the Samsung player.
alovell83: The problem was, that my phone kept waking itself up via buttons and when the display was up, it had no hard time to control the playback. So i was just pressing Play/Next in my pocket by my leg. To address your other question: it is not possible to cover one widget with another. The slots (4x1) are taken all the time, even while the widget is hidden.

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
Make it compatible with winamp and a bit darker background and it will fit perfect with minimalistic text widget:D:p

DannyBiker

Jul 10, 2010
Brussels
I was working on a minimalist look on my phone and couldn't find a proper widget for the music player. Stock widgets and Pure Music weren't enough.

So in the end, I had to wait 24h to find a solution. What took you so long ? :D

THANK YOU, this is perfect !:)

alon24

Jan 22, 2008
beyondpod

I use beyondpod for my podcasts.

Can your widget control beyondpod too? I would love that functionality...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description
    Simple music control widget capable of hiding itself while there is no track playing. It is designed to be used with WidgetLocker Lockscreen, however it is possible to use it on your homescreen as well.

I have switched from Sense to CyanogenMod, and I just hated its lockscreen. So I installed WidgetLocker, and set it up so it looks and behaves like HTC Sense lockscreen. However, I missed some decent music control, because all the widgets made me start playback in my pocket when I did not wanted to. So I just coded my own widget able to hide itself when there is no active playback. Since there is a lot of users with various requests, I am working on support of more players all the time.

Download
    Phantom Music Control (Google Play)

Phantom Music Control Pro (Google Play)

Changelog
    Code:
    1.67:
    - DashClock Widget Extension
    - New chromeless theme
    - Several bugfixes

1.66:
    - Various bugfixes

1.65:
    - It is now possible to change music player via launcher icon
    - Improved Sony Walkman compatibility
    - Added instructions for Winamp users who do not receive track info
    - Fixed bug that caused the widget not to hide on some phones

1.64:
    - New CarbonRoundBlueGlow theme by Jeppe Foldager
    - Sony Walkman (Xperia) support
    - Better landscape support (widget doesn't lose information, text is not cropped)
    - Official Last.fm support, that allows you to show track info i.e. in n7 Player

1.63:
    - Usable as Android 4.2 lockscreen widget
    - 2 new themes by DeVviL
    - Updated translations (now localised to 19 languages!)
    - Some bugs and crashes fixed

1.62.x:
    - Fixed bugs and FCs. I am SO SORRY for the inconvenience, that I couldn't possibly be any more sorry. Please, review your rating if you 1-starred the app. Thank you.

1.62:
    - Due to new Google Play policies, PayPal payment option had to be removed
    - Holo theme implemented
    - The widget should be able to wake itself soon after it has been killed by 3rd party app
    - API (used in Web Remote for Phantom Music) no longer requires the widget to be actually placed on screen
    - Several bugfixes

1.61:
    - Market purchase available!
    - Fixed 1.5 compatibility
    - Added timeout option for Advanced Compatibility Mode (for support purposes)
    - Updated translations

1.60:
    - Settings available from launcher, it is not needed to remove the widget anymore
    - Text color can be changed now
    - Fixed "Show music player on touch" for Advanced compatibility mode
    - Fixed situations when you had to enter activation key while already activated
    - It was made clear that there is also refund policy for people unsure about purchase
    - Updated translations

1.59.1:
    - Unfortunately, new version of doubleTwist no longer supports service binding. Therefore it is needed to use Advanced compatibility mode instead. Sorry for your trouble, I cannot control this.

1.59:
    - PlayerPro fixed
    - Ads removed from free version
    - Some Samsung users can now use Stock 2.3 profile if Samsung does not work right
    - Translations updated. Now localised to: English, German, Dutch, Korean, French, Turkish, Czech, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian, Russian
    - Advanced Compatibility Mode tweaked for Samsung users
    - Some minor performance tweaks

1.58.2:
    - Bugfixes regarding 3rd party support, Google Music, UberMusic, etc.

1.58.1:
    - Fixed bug in broadcast sending (for developers)

1.58:
    - Support for 3rd party apps to utilize Phantom's wide range of controllable players
    - Some performance and battery life optimizations; if you experience battery drains from older versions, please uninstall Phantom completely and install it again
    - Added Turkish translation, French updated

1.57:
    - Localised to Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian and Russian (some fully, some partially); thanks to all the translators!
    - Changed activation system, so users does not have to contact me when they flash different ROM (experimental)
    - With next version of BeyondPod, scrobbling should not be required anymore

1.56:
    - Native BeyondPod support (experimental)
    - New Aero theme (WMP style)
    - UberMusic modified for new package name (Beta 1); Alpha is still supported by Advanced compatibility mode
    - Ability to hide control buttons (requested by some users to only display track info)
    - Advanced compatibility mode tweaked to be more reliable
    - Translation support
    - Hot-swap icon has lower opacity

1.55:
    - Music player hot-swap (ability to change the controlled player in real time)
    - Scrollable track information
    - Ability to open any music player in Advanced compatibility mode
    - Increased Advanced compatibility mode performance (let me know if you experience any problems)

1.54:
    - Compatibility mode tweaked for MIUI
    - ScrobbleDroid and SLS can be used to read track info in compatibility mode (works with BeyondPod, Zimly, and many others; you do not need to install the scrobblers)
    - Ability to swap the track information order

1.53:

1.52:
    - Advanced compatibility mode tweaked for MortPlayer
    - License activation dialog fixed for copy&paste
    - New License model - version Pro prices from under $0.99! (all current licenses work as transferable 3-device licenses)

1.51:
    - Advanced compatibility mode tweaked for Meridian and ³/Cubed

1.50:
    Introducing Phantom Music Control Pro!

Phantom Music Control Pro has some great new features:

- Android 2.3 (and higher) stock music player support
    - New Google Music player support
    - Advanced compatibility mode that supports any player with headset controls (i.e. Winamp)
    - Experimental Samsung support
    - Honeycomb theme
    - Ad-free
    - And you will support independent developer and encourage me to add new awesome features!

1.12:
    - Natively supports PowerAMP
    - Compatibility mode, that allows some root users with custom ROM to control almost any media player (2.3/Gingerbread stock, Winamp, etc.)
    - Battery saving mode is turned off by default because of some problems in Android 2.3/Gingerbread

1.11:
    - doubleTwist Player is now supported

1.10:
    - Music PlayerPro support! (full version only, trial is not supported)
    - Added donation guidelines for users without PayPal account
    - If you use "Show music player on touch", it will get you to "Now playing" screen during playback in some players (stock and MusicMOD do not allow this, HTC and PlayerPro do)

1.9:
    - Added new Sense-like theme (thanks to  [user=841415]@GMKcz[/user] for the screens!)
    - Some layout cleanups

1.8:
    Fixed two embarrasing and long-lasting bugs

- Music player now can be launched on HTC as well
    - Donation button fixed; please buy me a beer if you like the widget - I put wrong link to ALL older versions

Thank you, Ryan, for noticing and testing! 

1.7:
    - Added tasty chromeless theme (see screenshots)
    - Volume buttons were made easier to reach
    - Added option to hide current track info
    - Some minor layout cleanups

1.6:
    - Bugfix: "Problem loading widget" resolved definitively; themes and opacity settings only work on Android 2.2/Froyo and higher
    - Music player can be started by clicking on a song name as well
    - Buttons were remastered to higher resolution

1.5:
    - Possibility to show volume control (optional)
    - Fixed battery saving mode

1.4.2:
    - Fixed background issue I have caused. Sorry for that. I need some rest.

1.4.1:
    - Fixed "Problem loading widget" and "Force close" on some configurations. If you still experience this issues, please uninstall the widget, reboot your phone and install it again. Thank you for understanding.

1.4:
    - Added battery saving mode that consumes almost zero energy (if you had any battery issues with Phantom, simply uninstall it and install again; it should disappear)
    - It is now possible to start music application by touching widget background (experimental feature, might not work correctly)

1.3:
    - Possibility to choose opacity of the background
    - Minor visual changes and settings+defaults cleanup
    - Bug fix: If "wait for WidgetLocker to unlock" is checked, widget no longer shows up on lockscreen if playback was already stopped

1.2:

1.1:

Info for 3rd party developers:
    You can use Phantom Music Control Pro to control music from your own application. Just check "Allow 3rd party apps to control music" in widget settings, and you are ready to send some intents.

Broadcast intents received:
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PLAY
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PAUSE
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PLAY_PAUSE
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.PREV
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.NEXT
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.VOLUME_DOWN
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.VOLUME_UP

Broadcast intent returned:
    cz.jhg.musiccontrolwidget.TRACK_INFO
    with 2 extras:
    - String named "label" with song info formatted by user's preferences
    - Boolean named "playing" with playstate (true = playing, false = stopped/paused)
    Metro style update :)

Changelog
    1.53:
    This is a awesome widget any chance of becoming in black?

If you guys want it, it's no problem.
    I am so nice guy! I actually did it today :). But it is just experimental feature for now.

Changelog
    1.4:
    Was there ever a feature to let you change the font and font size of the 'artist - track'

Would it be easy to implement?

The only way I can change the font is changing the entire system fonts.

-HTC Droid DNA-

It is planned, but don't know when I will actually do it :).