Wifi/bluetooth keep trying to turn on but fail everytime.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
The aforementioned fix should fix WiFi and BT then go through the persist fix and you should be ok.

If your IMEI is functional then definitely back up your EFS partition. Do not remove the modem using the guide commands you wrote

You're going to need root for all of this

Last edited:
Reactions: bassamanator

bassamanator

Jan 11, 2021
The aforementioned fix should fix WiFi and BT then go through the persist fix and you should be ok.

If your IMEI is functional then definitely back up your EFS partition. Do not remove the modem using the guide commands you wrote

You're going to need root for all of this
So after 6 or so attempts, I was able to root my phone. I have Oxygen OS 11.0.2.2 installed, rooted.

I created /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (which I've done before on my Raspberry Pi). It was an interesting process because I didn't have access to an editor. One thing to note is that I didn't include the first line of wpa_supplicant.conf from my Raspberry Pi because it doesn't 'work' for android I think.
Code:
#I did not include the following line:
#ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev 
update_config=1
country=CA
network={
ssid=XXX
psk=XXX
}
Of course this did not work (wifi/bluetooth still not turning on) because either the wpa_supplicant.conf was incomplete (because of the first line that I ommitted) or because then this problem would have been too easy to solve.

I have backed up my persist.img and am ready to try the fix persist guide if you think that's what I should do next.

Thanks again, you guidance and help is much appreciated.

Reactions: dladz

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
So after 6 or so attempts, I was able to root my phone. I have Oxygen OS 11.0.2.2 installed, rooted.

I created /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf (which I've done before on my Raspberry Pi). It was an interesting process because I didn't have access to an editor. One thing to note is that I didn't include the first line of wpa_supplicant.conf from my Raspberry Pi because it doesn't 'work' for android I think.
Code:
#I did not include the following line:
#ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev 
update_config=1
country=CA
network={
ssid=XXX
psk=XXX
}
Of course this did not work (wifi/bluetooth still not turning on) because either the wpa_supplicant.conf was incomplete (because of the first line that I ommitted) or because then this problem would have been too easy to solve.

I have backed up my persist.img and am ready to try the fix persist guide if you think that's what I should do next.

Thanks again, you guidance and help is much appreciated.
No worries man. Good luck. You've done brilliantly

bassamanator

Jan 11, 2021
So I cleared my wpa_supplicant.conf and that didn't do anything.

I tried to clear fix my persist, however, it failed. One reason that it might have failed is because I did it with OOS-11.0.2.2 whereas in the guide OOS-10.5.4 was used. Also, the calibration test failed with very few red lines which is said to be bad. This might have something to do with version 10.5.4 vs 11.0.2.2. I can revert back to OOS-10.5.4, however, I am unable to get root access on that version.

I need help getting root access in version 10.5.4 :/

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
So I cleared my wpa_supplicant.conf and that didn't do anything.

I tried to clear fix my persist, however, it failed. One reason that it might have failed is because I did it with OOS-11.0.2.2 whereas in the guide OOS-10.5.4 was used. Also, the calibration test failed with very few red lines which is said to be bad. This might have something to do with version 10.5.4 vs 11.0.2.2. I can revert back to OOS-10.5.4, however, I am unable to get root access on that version.

I need help getting root access in version 10.5.4 :/

Why are you unable to get root access?

Follow the guide to the letter, it does indeed have to be on Android 10.

In what way is it failing to root?

What process have you used? I can walk you through that no problem.

In order i think this is what is best to be done.

1. MSM down to 10.5.4 and then unlock the bootloader again.

2. Obtain root access, you will need to have access to the 10.5.4 firmware, I can extract the image but it would be best if you patched this yourself.

3. Boot the image then install directly to make it permanent.

4. Make a back up of your EFS and Persist partitions.

5. Run through the persist fix.

bassamanator

Jan 11, 2021
Why are you unable to get root access?

Follow the guide to the letter, it does indeed have to be on Android 10.

In what way is it failing to root?

What process have you used? I can walk you through that no problem.

In order i think this is what is best to be done.

1. MSM down to 10.5.4 and then unlock the bootloader again.

2. Obtain root access, you will need to have access to the 10.5.4 firmware, I can extract the image but it would be best if you patched this yourself.

3. Boot the image then install directly to make it permanent.

4. Make a back up of your EFS and Persist partitions.

5. Run through the persist fix.
So I'm getting MagiskManager from topjohnwu's github directly. I can get root access no problem on 11.0.2.2. When I use the same method (extract boot.img from payload, patch it using MM, then fastboot flash boot boot_patched.img) for 10.5.4, the phone gives me a
qualcomm crashdump mode
Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b
complete_and_exit
error. I can't even get to Recovery. I'm still trying so that I can simply patch the original boot.img 10.5.4 and try again.

I need a patched 10.5.4 boot.img that is patched with magisk. :/

Last edited:

FreshlyBaked 420

Nov 10, 2014
Kamloops
So I'm getting MagiskManager from topjohnwu's github directly. I can get root access no problem on 11.0.2.2. When I use the same method (extract boot.img from payload, patch it using MM, then fastboot flash boot boot_patched.img) for 10.5.4, the phone gives me a

error. I can't even get to Recovery. I'm still trying so that I can simply patch the original boot.img 10.5.4 and try again.

You are wanting Root and TWRP on A10? If so look for the All in one tool in the development thread. It still works on A10. Its super easy to do! It will install TWRP and magisk with no issues.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool

Honestly just change the channel to Canary or beta then patch it.

Then boot it.

Then install directly.

Try Canary first if that doesn't work then try beta.

My bootloader unlock and root guide shows the version I used I believe.

But the beta should be fine..

Just don't flash it, only boot.

Command is: fastboot boot magisk_patched

The device will reboot on its own, if it fails just reboot and you're fine..

A flash if borked will go wrong and stay wrong.

Don't use stable, stick with Canary and beta. Change the channel then update magisk manager

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
This is my old bootloader and rooting on 10 guide.

There's quite a few comments on there with multiple patched images for every region/ model.

If you can't find it in there it doesn't exist

bassamanator

Jan 11, 2021
I tried this 3 or 4 times. It did not work.

I'm going to start from scratch (MSM factory reset, delete older persist files...) just to make sure I have not missed any steps.

Side note: in order to properly flash a MM patched boot.img, it must be flashed to both boot_a and boot_b

bassamanator

Jan 11, 2021
Failed again. Fingerprint, wifi, bluetooth not working.

Precise log of the steps I took
1. Factory reset using MSM tool-10.5.4
2. Oem unlock
3. Install MMv805 (stable channel)
4. MM: Patch boot.img
5. Flash boot_patched.img
6. Backup persist.img to PC
7. Extract persist.img files/folders
8. Copy data/ and engineermode/ to phone/Download
9. Phone: delete phone/data/gf_persist.so
10. SKIP /mnt/vendor/persist/engineermode/engineermode_config first 2 lines already set to false
11. Start fingerprint calibration
12. Keep finger OFF sensor for Black rubber test
13. Test successfully failed (several pages worth of red lines; last line: FAIL:GF_ERROR_PRESS_INCOMPLETE)
14. Copy data/ and engineermode/ over to /mnt/vendor/persist/ (merge, remember; new, remember)
15. Reboot
16. Fail fingerprint setup: Enrolment was not completed. Fingerpring registration error, please try again.

I am fail :/

bassamanator

Jan 11, 2021
Hi, agreed it looks like an EFS and eventually /persist loss. MSM tool indeed does not reflash those partitions.
I have not tested on any device but I've heard there's a Restore NV/EFS button available after dialing *#268# and going to NV Parameters, maybe it could do the trick after a device reboot?

Needless to say I advise to take backups of current EFS and /persist (eg by TWRP) before performing operation and that user is doing that at their own risks.

Note: *#268# launches cn.oneplus.nvbackup (also known as NV Backup UI), which is present on every OOS release. While alternative methods to write an IMEI arbitrary may exist, I am not aware of them and talking about them anyway would be against forum rules.
@dladz I'm up for anything at this point for the sake of science! I'd like to try what @Some_Random_Username mentioned here. I can get to this screen but I'm not sure what precautions to take. I await your wisdom.

Thanks!

Reactions: dladz

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
@dladz I'm up for anything at this point for the sake of science! I'd like to try what @Some_Random_Username mentioned here. I can get to this screen but I'm not sure what precautions to take. I await your wisdom.

Thanks!
Lol man this is a bugger.

I've never done this one buddy.

Can look into it but I'd know as much as you.

I'm regards to the persist one, the chap in the thread who made the guide would know more than me by miles.

I'll have a look at the screen for 268.

I think so long as you've done your EFS back up and persist back up (do long as that worked) you should be fine to try absolutely anything.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
I changed MM channel to beta and did flashboot boot boot-patched.img and I have root on 10.5.4.

Start persist fix now...
Also if you haven't gone to magisk and clicked install after booting the patched boot image, you will lose root immediately when you reboot your phone, as the boot image is only temporarily booted. Just click install then direct install in magisk (top install button on the main page)

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Well as you just saw @dladz, we have made some progress :)

I was thinking that I should backup my efs since I'm playing fast and loose with this phone. I was going to do
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/sdcard/efs_backup.img
from this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/solved-guide-how-to-backup-efs-modemfs-folders.2342100/

That guide is for Samsung phones though. Will it work for me?
so seeing as you have two IMEI's that won't work i'm afraid, i believe this is the code via ADB.

Backing up
------------------------

su

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/sdcard/modemst1.bin bs=512
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=/sdcard/modemst2.bin bs=512

Restoring
------------------

fastboot flash modemst1 modemst1.bin
fastboot flash modemst2 modemst2.bin

As far as i know these are still the commands, the byte count may be slightly different so instead of 512 change to 2048 on both.