Wifi calling sim card

Search This thread

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
i bought my SG2 around the time it was released and gave my sim card away because i figured id just keep using the one i had..well, as you all know you need the new sim cards to be able to use wi-fi calling

i called and went to 2 different tmobile stores and they are trying to charge me $20 for it..

i have a new tmobile sim card that my friend gave me from his mytouch4g..the # on the sim is TM9703

can anyone tell me if that one will work? im currently running jug v3.69 which is android 2.3.5 so i dont have the wi-fi calling feature yet..but will upgrade my rom if it works

and if you use wi-fi calling on your SG2 but have a different sim card model please post that one so i can try to look for that one as well

thanks in advance

suprakarma

Dec 5, 2010
i bought my SG2 around the time it was released and gave my sim card away because i figured id just keep using the one i had..well, as you all know you need the new sim cards to be able to use wi-fi calling

i called and went to 2 different tmobile stores and they are trying to charge me $20 for it..

i have a new tmobile sim card that my friend gave me from his mytouch4g..the # on the sim is TM9703

can anyone tell me if that one will work? im currently running jug v3.69 which is android 2.3.5 so i dont have the wi-fi calling feature yet..but will upgrade my rom if it works

and if you use wi-fi calling on your SG2 but have a different sim card model please post that one so i can try to look for that one as well

thanks in advance

I have the same problem, yet I dont think wifi calling is that useful when it still uses your munutes unless you have unlimited, again, it sounds like pretty cool feature yet its useless, do you really use it or relay on it? Just a personal thought and point of view, theres a couple apps such as viber that use the feature of wifi calling but free, the only thing is that the other user needs viber app, and wifi

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
sim card for wifi calling

thanks in advance

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
no..its not something i rely on at all...its more something i want in case i ever need it...i know that it uses minutes...i live in ny and went to school upstate...sometimes i go back up there and visit friends..reception may be an issue depending on where i am...some of my friends live in the boondocks lol...also its very useful if you have ever experienced being in a basement that gets no reception

kseries88

Nov 27, 2010

thanks in advance
I was in a similar situation as you; I called up t-mobile to check and they said it was not. They said my SIM card was not up to date to use Wifi calling feature but they said a t-mobile store would give me a new SIM card for free if the t-mobile rep put it in their system that I had an old SIM card. Basically when you call t-mobile just ask them if you had the new SIM card and if not could the t-mobile rep give you a new one if you did an exchange at the store.

gfaughn

Dec 11, 2011
I'm not sure if that's a gba Sim or not but you can get one overnighted for free to you if you call Tmobile, I've heard through other people as well that the stores are starting to charge people for Sim cards even if the notes state issue for free.
As for it still using your minutes , that's just a matter of adding the free wifi calling feature to your account. That's free.

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010

thanks in advance

Call in. When prompted why you are calling say, "Cancel my account".

Tell the operator who picks up your story.

They will mail you a free sim card.

ebatr8

Mar 28, 2010
I'm not sure if that's a gba Sim or not but you can get one overnighted for free to you if you call Tmobile, I've heard through other people as well that the stores are starting to charge people for Sim cards even if the notes state issue for free.
As for it still using your minutes , that's just a matter of adding the free wifi calling feature to your account. That's free.

False we do not overnight sim cards, sim cards go usps only so no overnight. Also they may or may not give you a sim card if they tell you no its because they don't have to. The only way they have to get you one is if you go show a store that yours is defective its worth a try to call but don't waste your time trying multiple times you may just have to pay for one, or you could try taking that new one you have to a store n telling them customer care sent you the wrong one then maybe they will trade it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
False we do not overnight sim cards, sim cards go usps only so no overnight. Also they may or may not give you a sim card if they tell you no its because they don't have to. The only way they have to get you one is if you go show a store that yours is defective its worth a try to call but don't waste your time trying multiple times you may just have to pay for one, or you could try taking that new one you have to a store n telling them customer care sent you the wrong one then maybe they will trade it.

swapping at the store is a genius idea..that never occurred to me...however, before i do that im just trying to see if the TM9703 one will work or not..no sense of trading in a working sim for another sim

thanks for all the responses...still hoping to hear from someone with the 9703 or a different working sim

ebatr8

Mar 28, 2010
Wish I remembered lol I know that we can tell from the picture on them because they changed the picture starting with those ill get my new sim card out I haven't used it yet n will let u know in a couple min I have like 5 of them laying around

ebatr8

Mar 28, 2010
The one that came with the gs2 is a tm9177 has a pic of a guy and girl either taking a pic of themselves or watching some hilarious video on a phone lol :p so I don't think the one you have is right because this is the same one that came with my amaze as well. If you go to the store if they don't see an order in your account and tell you that just tell them you ordered it through sales that the Rep told you the ones for prepaid will work and thats what you received. They probably wont but just incase they are that thorough they can't look up orders done through sales only customer care.

ebatr8

Mar 28, 2010
False. I've overnighted all the Sim cards I've replaced for a few weeks now. that'd be the easiest for this guy.
You're welcome.

Customer care has either standard mail through there shipping method which is free and the 19.99 one which is priority mail which can take 1-3 business days depending on where you are so you are wrong. The only departments that have overnight directly is sales so you are mistaken if you think customer care has overnight or that he would even get it without paying for it, especially due to the fact that there is quite a bit of outsourcers who prefer to have people get mad then go outside of standard policy.

nashwing

Nov 20, 2007
Got mine overnighted from customer care with no problems. They said mine was an old one, and they'd send me a new one, no charge. I did speak with an 'american accent' CSR.

Got it the next day via UPS.

Customer care has either standard mail through there shipping method which is free and the 19.99 one which is priority mail which can take 1-3 business days depending on where you are so you are wrong. The only departments that have overnight directly is sales so you are mistaken if you think customer care has overnight or that he would even get it without paying for it, especially due to the fact that there is quite a bit of outsourcers who prefer to have people get mad then go outside of standard policy.

ebatr8

Mar 28, 2010
Got mine overnighted from customer care with no problems. They said mine was an old one, and they'd send me a new one, no charge. I did speak with an 'american accent' CSR.

Got it the next day via UPS.

Cool story bro

gfaughn

Dec 11, 2011
Shows how awesome Tmobile is, can't even get facts straight on a simple Sim card replacement.
Gotta love it.

Hope the OP got an idea on what to do though.

Evofusion

Feb 14, 2011
Kind of off topic but wifi calling does not use minutes when you add "free wifi calling" to your account. Essentially you can talk all you want over wifi calling but you have to make sure either you or a csr adds the free wifi calling to your account otherwise they do charge.

Edit: not charge but it uses minutes if you don't have the addon

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
i think im gonna call them and explain to that i gave my sim away not knowing that it was gonna be needed and see if i can get a free one

if that doesnt work ill just go to the store make up some story about how they shipped me the wrong one (the mytouch4g one that i have) and demand that they swap it for me if they dont want to

thanks for all the suggestions

tspx23

Jul 4, 2010
Tempe
Yeah they tried charging me twenty bucks and i went off about how their quality of customer service sucks lately and that I never knew it required a "special" sim card for wifi calling. Got one via priority mail for free :p.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sent u mine hope it works :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone