WiFi DNS Does not Update

Search This thread

starmena

Nov 25, 2007
Reading, PA
I've posted this over at the Rhodium Thread located here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731292

but haven't gotten a single response yet. Since this is a concern for more than one device I feel like I should post it here. Mods feel free to move this to the correct location if need be.

===================

So it seems to me that this is a problem on ALL Android devices that I have tested with. Here's the situation

I have a router in my house in which I have DHCP turned off so my device will grab an IP (Not Static) and DNS from the ISP. I need to find a way to be able to just change the DNS Settings to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on android without having to manually put in an IP since the IP will automatically get changed every few day's.

Android doesn't seem to let me do that. Does anyone know how? Going into the Advance Menu in the Wifi settings and changing the dns does not actually change anything... I noticed this on the following android devices as well: Moto Cliq, MyTouch 3g, old Kaiser running android on NAND, and my Rhodium Devices running android.

Any reason as to why Android isn't updating my DNS Settings? Any help would be appreciated.

JimmyChingala

Apr 14, 2010
Melbourne
I have a router in my house in which I have DHCP turned off so my device will grab an IP (Not Static) and DNS from the ISP. I need to find a way to be able to just change the DNS Settings to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on android without having to manually put in an IP since the IP will automatically get changed every few day's.

Ok so DHCP is assigning your network config, but you want to use different DNS servers than the DHCP allocated ones?

Android doesn't seem to let me do that. Does anyone know how? Going into the Advance Menu in the Wifi settings and changing the dns does not actually change anything... I noticed this on the following android devices as well: Moto Cliq, MyTouch 3g, old Kaiser running android on NAND, and my Rhodium Devices running android.

On my HTC Hero running an Android 2.1 ROM, unless "Static IP" is selected, I dont even get the option to change the DNS servers (option is greyed-out).

One way to manually change DNS is via shell if you have root access on your phone using ADB shell (or ssh, telnet etc if your ROM supports them), see this thread [Q] Help! Changing DNS settings .

Any network config tools on the app store?

-jc

frankyvee

Jan 2, 2009
NYC
I've posted this over at the Rhodium Thread located here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=731292

but haven't gotten a single response yet. Since this is a concern for more than one device I feel like I should post it here. Mods feel free to move this to the correct location if need be.

===================

So it seems to me that this is a problem on ALL Android devices that I have tested with. Here's the situation

Any reason as to why Android isn't updating my DNS Settings? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm confused by your question. If you have DHCP turned off your device's are not going to grab an IP address from your router. Why don't you turn on DHCP and let your router assign IP addresses. As doing so your devices will also use the DNS setting from the router which will be your ISP's DNS ip address. Unless you change your DNS settings in your router to one of the many public DNS servers available. My recommendation is turn DHCP to "ON" on your router. Maybe start your DHCP IP assignment at 192.168.1.100 and go up to 150. That way you can use the range from .2 to .99 for static IP's. This is how I configured my router but I'm also using DD-WRT firmware on my router which highly customizes the router. Alternately you can change your routers DNS ip setting to Open DNS server so there would be no need for you to change it on the phone if you are using WIFI. Just let your router do all that work for you. Hope this helps. Viva Santiago Rep Dom y NYC.