• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

WiFi File Transfer via an Ad Hoc Network

Search This thread

Lilmyn448

Jun 9, 2012
Transfer files via an Ad Hoc WiFi Network. Although 'Airdroid' , '3CX DroidDesktop 2' and other WiFi file transfer Apps require a routed connection to function, this method is akin to 'Wifi Direct' in that the device creates the network, the PC connects to that network, the device then 'serves' it's contents and the PC accesses those contents via a web browser.

Apps Needed
Fast File Transfer (Free)
X-plore (Free)

Step 1 - Establish an Ad Hoc Network Connection
1 - Open X-plore, select a file, select share, then select 'Fast File Transfer'.
2 - Configure a network name (SSID) + password for the Ad Hoc Network 'Fast File Transfer' creates.

Step 2 - Create a Bi-directional connection between your Android Device & PC
1 - Connect PC to the newly created network.
2 - Open X-plore and select 'Start Wi-Fi file sharing' to activate file transfer capabilities.
3 - Open a web browser and input the phone's location info provided by X-plore.

*NOTE: DO NOT ENGAGE 'FAST FILE TRANSFER' (with a probable location of 192.168.43.1:8080) BECAUSE THIS WILL CLOSE THE AD HOC NETWORK!!!!

Step 3 - Close the Connection + Disable the Ad Hoc Network
1 - Open X-plore and 'Stop' WiFi File Sharing.
2 - Exit 'Fast File Transfer' to terminate the 'Ad Hoc' network.

*'Fast File Transfer' retains Ad Hoc network configuration, no need to configure each time.

* This Ad Hoc network works for RDP as well. I use 'Jump Pro'. It's processor and RAM intensive, but works. I'm assuming there aren't any inherent limitations to the Ad Hoc network 'Fast File Transfer' creates, but I haven't gotten a VNC app to work. Worth a try.

* X-plore limits some file transfer capabilities without paid app (e.g. direct SDcard file transfer). This is frustrating, but the developer wants to drive some revenue; And for all it's functionality, the App is well worth it.

*This is not a WiFi Tethering with file transfer solution. Connecting to the Ad Hoc network DISABLES INTERNET. This is like connecting your device via a cable. It's also much more secure because your files do not pass though a router (thereby the internet) but directly from your PC and device (& vice versa).

Last edited:

Azatot

Jan 13, 2007
Hi, I was interesting in this matter. Transfer big files between HTC One and PC.
But I have a problem with the fast file transfer,when I share a file the program shows this message:
NOT COMPATIBLE. It seems like your device does not have a valid WiFi Tethering ...

WTF??

Lilmyn448

Jun 9, 2012
Hi, I was interesting in this matter. Transfer big files between HTC One and PC.
But I have a problem with the fast file transfer,when I share a file the program shows this message:
NOT COMPATIBLE. It seems like your device does not have a valid WiFi Tethering ...

WTF??

Frustrating, I know.

I found and documented this hack before I had cell service. Once I activated my phone with Metro PCS they broke the function because I didn't get 'Tethering' as a paid option. They remotely disabled all built in Android tethering capabilities. Your carrier might block native Android tethering as well.

I haven't found a solution for this carrier violation yet. To reinstate the function would assuredly include low level coding, up to and including flashing the ROM. I only root my phone and don't flash the ROM because I don't think using CyanogenMod or another Mod is much better than my customized rooted stock Android, especially after 4.0 (ICS).

I can suggest using the AirDroid option for now. I'll look for another solution in the mean time. (At this point I just remove my sd card and transfer files that way. I know the HTC One doesn't have an sd card slot so this isn't an option for you. I'll do my best to find something)

dasani11

Aug 4, 2013
when i reached step 2-2, i couldn't start Airdroid (as it needs internet connection) and Fast File Transfer had been already turned the connection off for tethering.....
any one have an idea!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Transfer files via an Ad Hoc WiFi Network. Although 'Airdroid' , '3CX DroidDesktop 2' and other WiFi file transfer Apps require a routed connection to function, this method is akin to 'Wifi Direct' in that the device creates the network, the PC connects to that network, the device then 'serves' it's contents and the PC accesses those contents via a web browser.

Apps Needed
    Fast File Transfer (Free)
    X-plore (Free)

Step 1 - Establish an Ad Hoc Network Connection
    1 - Open X-plore, select a file, select share, then select 'Fast File Transfer'.
    2 - Configure a network name (SSID) + password for the Ad Hoc Network 'Fast File Transfer' creates.

Step 2 - Create a Bi-directional connection between your Android Device & PC
    1 - Connect PC to the newly created network.
    2 - Open X-plore and select 'Start Wi-Fi file sharing' to activate file transfer capabilities.
    3 - Open a web browser and input the phone's location info provided by X-plore.

*NOTE: DO NOT ENGAGE 'FAST FILE TRANSFER' (with a probable location of 192.168.43.1:8080) BECAUSE THIS WILL CLOSE THE AD HOC NETWORK!!!!

Step 3 - Close the Connection + Disable the Ad Hoc Network
    1 - Open X-plore and 'Stop' WiFi File Sharing.
    2 - Exit 'Fast File Transfer' to terminate the 'Ad Hoc' network.

*'Fast File Transfer' retains Ad Hoc network configuration, no need to configure each time.

* This Ad Hoc network works for RDP as well. I use 'Jump Pro'. It's processor and RAM intensive, but works. I'm assuming there aren't any inherent limitations to the Ad Hoc network 'Fast File Transfer' creates, but I haven't gotten a VNC app to work. Worth a try.

* X-plore limits some file transfer capabilities without paid app (e.g. direct SDcard file transfer). This is frustrating, but the developer wants to drive some revenue; And for all it's functionality, the App is well worth it.

*This is not a WiFi Tethering with file transfer solution. Connecting to the Ad Hoc network DISABLES INTERNET. This is like connecting your device via a cable. It's also much more secure because your files do not pass though a router (thereby the internet) but directly from your PC and device (& vice versa).