[WIFI Only] [How-to] GT-P1010 Gingerbread Update

taney

Jan 30, 2007
Los Angeles
I know a lot of people are going to have problems updating to the latest gingerbread build.

PLEASE NOTE: This update will remove root but you can root again with CF-Root from second post.
ALSO, THIS PROCESS WILL WIPE DEVICE!

1) Put your P1010 into download mode (by holding POWER and VOL-DOWN):

2)I went ahead and used ODIN tool to downgrade/upgrade to the latest FROYO firmware before Gingerbread:
P1010XWKC1_OXX
(OEM Flash Guide here)

You should have the same tick marks and files loaded as in my screenshot. Be sure that the box is yellow on the right and you can initiate the firmware install by clicking 'Start'.

3) (VARIES) From there, after restart some people will experience a force close followed by a reboot loop. You will need to flash this kernel via ODIN:
P1010ZHKF1-kernel
(Flash this the same way as above but UNCHECK Re-Partition and CSC!)

4) You will then be able to boot into Froyo.

5) You will use ODIN again to install the Gingerbread update and flash just the PDA (leave CSC blank and leave Re-partition unchecked this time).
P1010XEUKPG
(Flash this the same way you flashed the Kernel in step #2)

6) After it reboots, you will have 2.3.6 ;)

7) (Optional) steps in post #2 to install CWM Recovery and Root.

Last edited:

taney

Jan 30, 2007
Los Angeles
For those wanting to remove the bloatware (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!):

You can remove the bloatware with ES Explorer, there's an option to enable 'Root Explorer'. Download the latest version from the Market.

See below:

screenshots are from my Galaxy Nexus but it's the same for any Android 2.2+.

1) Go to the 'Settings' screen
2) Change home directory to '/'
3) Tick the 2 marks on the bottom
4) Browse to /system/app
5) Delete whichever app you don't want, but do it with caution (I usually move these files to /sdcard and move back if it causes any type of force close)

If you totally borked out the system in such a way that you can't boot, you can always move it back in recovery via ADB (much more complicated process but it's possible).

Also, why not do a nandroid backup before messing with deep system files? :p

Last edited:

densets

Aug 6, 2011
Buenos Aires
this is the best christmas present so far.

edit: worked, almost. thanks ! rooted flashing Skin1980-CF-ROOT-P1010-BETA.tar .
skype isn't using the front camera. =s

Last edited:

taney

Jan 30, 2007
Los Angeles
No restart issues?
If you followed those steps, the ROM runs stable without any FC's or reboots. I even have setCPU installed on mine.

Also, it's good to note that I'm running CF-Root kernel from the thread in 2nd post.

Plus, you could always downgrade if you run into issues. Just remember to always BACKUP YOUR DATA! :)

Last edited:

urra901109

Sep 5, 2011
im getting excited about this.. :D is it really for the p1010 wifi only device? because from what i can see in this subforum is the devs working on the p1000 only. another thing, please don't tell me this is an official update. i don't think the bad sammy will update this little tab.

blue_algae

May 19, 2010
skype is working

@densets, skype is working for both skype mods I posted earlier. you just need to enable 'use valid preview'. for droidrx's version, set the app to 'crop' so your video is centered.

urra901109

Sep 5, 2011
phew.. relieved by this news, nevermind if it is not going to be released here in malaysia, at least i can still skype with my family w/o much trouble into getting the ffc to work. :D

Last edited:

Vampfy

Nov 2, 2010
Belfast
Interestingly, I've followed the guide exactly as mentioned above (had KC1 and the HK kernel from previous flashing) and flashed the PDA for XEU 2.3 from Sammobile, and I'm now stuck in an eternal bootloop. I like the new samsung boot music though, better than the previous one :)

Any suggestions?

Edit: I wiped data and cache from recovery, flashed KC1 and the Kernel and it boots fine. Checked Kies to be sure and it's offering me FW upgrade to KM2. Should I accept this FW upgrade or just persevere with flashing the new 2.3 firmware?

Last edited: