Wifi Push Issue While Phone is Asleep

Search This thread

tiki8888

Jan 31, 2011
I have an AT&T HTC One X+ and use google voice and gmail. Whenever the screen is off, I cannot get notifications that come through wifi. But the second I turn the screen on, the notification pops up and the phone plays the sound and vibrates. I am connected to a 802.11g wifi router with very good signal using WPA-PSK security with the phone's wifi settings set to always leave wifi on during sleep and Wifi frequency band on Auto. I tried disabling security, switching to a different channel, setting the band to 2.4 GHz only, and doing a factory data reset but none of that alleviated the problem. Anyone know what's going on? A video demonstrating this is at the link. docs.google.com/open?id=0BxR4DMrzuTrXM2JJQmdhQjNIY3M

synnyster

Feb 16, 2011
I have an AT&T HTC One X+ and use google voice and gmail. Whenever the screen is off, I cannot get notifications that come through wifi. But the second I turn the screen on, the notification pops up and the phone plays the sound and vibrates. I am connected to a 802.11g wifi router with very good signal using WPA-PSK security with the phone's wifi settings set to always leave wifi on during sleep and Wifi frequency band on Auto. I tried disabling security, switching to a different channel, setting the band to 2.4 GHz only, and doing a factory data reset but none of that alleviated the problem. Anyone know what's going on? A video demonstrating this is at the link. docs.google.com/open?id=0BxR4DMrzuTrXM2JJQmdhQjNIY3M

I'm getting the same issue. Only on cellular network do I get push notifications when the screen is off. In wifi mode I do not get notifications for google voice or gmail until I have unlocked the screen. I've also got a lockscreen issue. I have it set to keep the phone unlocked for 5 minutes on sleep. But when I manually turn the screen off it always asks for my pin.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

It seems my lockscreen issue is with the widgetsoid lockscreen widget I have. When I use the power button to turn the screen off it does not lock the phone immediately. When I use the widgetsoid widget to turn the screen off, it immediately locks the phone.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

This seems to be an issue with many HTC phones. I've seen threads as far back as May and July concerning the One X. This is no bueno.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

For now you can download REGPON Wifi Keepalive on the on the Google Play store. I've tested it and it seems to keep wifi awake so I get my notifications with the screen off.

tiki8888

Jan 31, 2011
I'm getting the same issue. Only on cellular network do I get push notifications when the screen is off. In wifi mode I do not get notifications for google voice or gmail until I have unlocked the screen. I've also got a lockscreen issue. I have it set to keep the phone unlocked for 5 minutes on sleep. But when I manually turn the screen off it always asks for my pin.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

It seems my lockscreen issue is with the widgetsoid lockscreen widget I have. When I use the power button to turn the screen off it does not lock the phone immediately. When I use the widgetsoid widget to turn the screen off, it immediately locks the phone.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

This seems to be an issue with many HTC phones. I've seen threads as far back as May and July concerning the One X. This is no bueno.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

For now you can download REGPON Wifi Keepalive on the on the Google Play store. I've tested it and it seems to keep wifi awake so I get my notifications with the screen off.

Ok. Seems to work for me too! I just hope this doesn't eat away at my precious battery life too much... I believe I read somewhere that the One X got an update for an issue relating to this so hopefully we will see an update for this issue soon.

surfer123

Apr 12, 2010
Ok. Seems to work for me too! I just hope this doesn't eat away at my precious battery life too much... I believe I read somewhere that the One X got an update for an issue relating to this so hopefully we will see an update for this issue soon.

I have a similar problem, but I have to actually restart my wifi. I am using the keepalive app and wifi seems to stay connected now.

Any word on battery drain for you guys?

alizawi

Feb 23, 2011
did the new OTA update fix this issue?

Still waiting for my OneX+ to arrive in the mail!! DHL is a disaster

mgymnop

Jan 17, 2010
San Diego

I have no problem with Wifi. Just to clarify: You have the AT&T version as I see, you run the phone as it was shipped and you run no task killer? If the Wifi disconnects the symbol in the notification bar disappears?

synnyster

Feb 16, 2011
I have no problem with Wifi. Just to clarify: You have the AT&T version as I see, you run the phone as it was shipped and you run no task killer? If the Wifi disconnects the symbol in the notification bar disappears?

I have the same problem as the OP and I do have an ATT branded HOX+. Running everything stock and wifi policy as always on. Screen off you do not get any instant/push notifications. Tested like the OP sending myself emails and text messages through GV. Once screen comes on I get the notifications. With wifi OFF using just cellular, I get the same notifications almost instantly with the screen off. Once I installed REGPON Keepalive wifi and used that to keep wifi on always, the notifications worked. As has said before, this is a widespread issue on many HTC One phones. My friend has a One S and he also has this issue.

Last edited:

surfer123

Apr 12, 2010
I have the same problem as the OP and I do have an ATT branded HOX+. Running everything stock and wifi policy as always on. Screen off you do not get any instant/push notifications. Tested like the OP sending myself emails and text messages through GV. Once screen comes on I get the notifications. With wifi OFF using just cellular, I get the same notifications almost instantly with the screen off. Once I installed REGPON Keepalive wifi and used that to keep wifi on always, the notifications worked. As has said before, this is a widespread issue on many HTC One phones. My friend has a One S and he also has this issue.

yep same problem, but I actually have to restart my wifi every time this happens. I did not want to sacrifice battery life by using REGPON.