Wifi speed slow when bluetooth is on

Search This thread

Xaniel

Jan 1, 2017
I test the Twitch App on the Tablet. Without bluetooth no problems with a twitch videostream (not livestream). But with Bluetooth Headhone on the same twitch videostream (not livestream) i have laggs (loading circle), and the screen are blurred. The internet connection has issues when bluetooth are on to use the headphone on the tablet. But in the YouTube App i can see a 1080p without problems. No laggs, blurs or videoresulution changes, the Youtube App run perfect on 1080p with my bluetooth headphone. It's an App problem, i hope a softwareupdate can fix this problem. I change my network to 5Ghz no improvement on the Twitch App. When i turn off my Bluetooth Headphone in the Twitch App, all the problems are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tool2269

ZunsheV

Feb 27, 2012
No problems on my M5 10.8“ with wifi speeds when connect to Bluetooth. My network is 5ghz.

Weird. Others said both models have the problem. Were you playing some audio while you tested it? Because bluetooth has to be transmitting data to really notice the slow down. What speeds are you getting?

I test the Twitch App on the Tablet. Without bluetooth no problems with a twitch videostream (not livestream). But with Bluetooth Headhone on the same twitch videostream (not livestream) i have laggs (loading circle), and the screen are blurred. The internet connection has issues when bluetooth are on to use the headphone on the tablet. But in the YouTube App i can see a 1080p without problems. No laggs, blurs or videoresulution changes, the Youtube App run perfect on 1080p with my bluetooth headphone. It's an App problem, i hope a softwareupdate can fix this problem. I change my network to 5Ghz no improvement on the Twitch App. When i turn off my Bluetooth Headphone in the Twitch App, all the problems are gone.

It's not an app problem, it's a hardware issue. I tested it with YouTube and the buffering was constant. Maybe the video you tried has a low bitrate or whatever, make sure you are watching it in HD. Try different videos and you should see.

Reactions: tool2269 and Xaniel

Xaniel

Jan 1, 2017
I try a speedtest with my Huawei M5 Tablet. Without bluetooth the internet speed is three time faster with the Ookla Speedtest App. This is not good, i try the test 3-4 times with the same result. I think its not a software problem, my tablet get back to the dealer. I read the MediaPad M3 has the same problem, and i disappointing that this same problem also on the MediaPad M5.

It's not an app problem, it's a hardware issue.

That's not good. Okay thanks for your info. A good Tablet, but the wifi and bluetooth together connection are not good.

Si73

Nov 15, 2007
Suffolk
Weird. Others said both models have the problem. Were you playing some audio while you tested it? Because bluetooth has to be transmitting data to really notice the slow down. What speeds are you getting?

Apologies, just tested whilst playing audio on my Bluetooth headphones & yes the speed does drop quite significantly. Approx from around 100 mbps to 10mbps. This is not a deal breaker for me as I'm more of a torrent person than streaming & so far (apart from EMUI) I quite like this tablet.

Obveron

Jul 31, 2013
I have the wifi 8.4inch model. I don't have serious issue with this. On 2.4ghz wireless N, I get 90 Mbps down with bluetooth off, 70 with Bluetooth on (no playback), 50 when playing music to Bluetooth speaker. So some minor bandwidth loss, but still getting plenty.

algiuz

Oct 9, 2015
You all testing it wrong. Yes, it show good speeds with Bluetooth connection, but the thing is buffering is constant, even if speed test shows the same speed. Something like twitch or Plex is unusable, YouTube prebuffers, so I don't have a problem with it. It feels like it just drops connection all together for few miliseconds every 3 seconds or so. So YouTube is not affected, but streaming services is. I tested different channels, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, different channel width, what ever came to mind, nothing helped. I would say it definitely hardware problem, probably Bluetooth and wifi connecting to the same antennas and fighting for bandwidth.

Also don't forget to complain to huawei, if enough people complain, maybe they actually gonna look into it at some point.

Last edited:

Obveron

Jul 31, 2013
You all testing it wrong. Yes, it show good speeds with Bluetooth connection, but the thing is buffering is constant, even if speed test shows the same speed. Something like twitch or Plex is unusable, YouTube prebuffers, so I don't have a problem with it. It feels like it just drops connection all together for few miliseconds every 3 seconds or so. So YouTube is not affected, but streaming services is. I tested different channels, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, different channel width, what ever came to mind, nothing helped. I would say it definitely hardware problem, probably Bluetooth and wifi connecting to the same antennas and fighting for bandwidth.

Also don't forget to complain to huawei, if enough people complain, maybe they actually gonna look into it at some point.
I just tried Twitch and Bluetooth speaker together. Zero problems. I don't think I could get 70Mbps download on a speedtest with Bluetooth playing music to a speaker at the same time if I was getting connection drops every 3 seconds. I don't think looking for Twitch buffering is as useful as a speedtest but either way I have no issues. Like I said I'm on the 8.4" wifi model. I'm using 2.4ghz N with good signal strength.

ahent

Mar 31, 2012
Johnston, IA
All I know is wifi buffers to an unusable state when the Bluetooth is on for my Mediapad. This includes, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, random web pages, fitbit app, etc. Bluetooth off, no problem. I have 2 routers and I have used them both, Synology AC2600 and Linksys Wrt1900ac, my internet is consistently tested and is approx 200 megabits a second. No matter what device I use wirelessly I get good signal and will test them side by side and my Mediapad M3 8.4 always dumps its connection with Bluetooth on. My other devices that I test wirelessly may have a small amount of signal degradation but not that much with Bluetooth on (OG Pixel XL, 2 different Nexus Tablets, amazon Kindle, multitude of windows laptops and chromebooks). All tested on 2 different routers. I believe the common denominator is the M3 with the Bluetooth on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ahent

Mar 31, 2012
Johnston, IA
Yeah, I knew that, but the M3 has the same issues and nothing fixes it. I guess I forgot to add that. I was trying to illustrate that this is a fundamental problem with the tablet the last couple of generations. Sorry for the confusion.

Obveron

Jul 31, 2013
Yeah, I knew that, but the M3 has the same issues and nothing fixes it. I guess I forgot to add that. I was trying to illustrate that this is a fundamental problem with the tablet the last couple of generations. Sorry for the confusion.

You're saying it's a fundamental problem across generations, but that doesn't line-up with my observations. My wifi 8.4" does not have this problem. I can stream Netflix while Bluetooth is connected to my speaker, no buffering at all.

Maybe the problem is isolated to the LTE models.

ahent

Mar 31, 2012
Johnston, IA
All I was trying to say is that the M5 isn't the only tablet by Huawei that is having this exact issue. I am well acquainted with the M3 forum and have posted there. When I saw that the M5 was having the same issue as the M3 I thought that might be useful info for you folks since it seems endemic with the company's latest tablet offerings but apparently not. I will now go crawl back under my rock.

ASW1

Dec 2, 2013
Staatsliedenbuurt
It's fine, write whatever you want about the M3 but if you do so please include that information. Otherwise people reading your post will assume you're describing your experience with the M5.

jakeo_100

May 24, 2018
My m5 8.4 wifi only US version has the same problem, 3mbs or less with Bluetooth headphones. I called Huawei tech support and they told me to use one or the other not both because the m5 only has one antenna shared by both wifi and Bluetooth. Hard to believe that this is a known design flaw from the manufacturer on such a new product. Can anyone verify it is a design flaw or better yet have a solution? (FYI I own m3 8.4 wifi only US version and it does not have this problem)

SireSadr

Jun 7, 2018
Maybe i found a solution...

Had the same problems with the M5: WLAN (2.4G & 5G) works fine without bluetooth on. But after i turn on bluetooth, all streams had lag spikes. To info: I use my M5 mainly for game streaming (moonlight, steam link app). The steam link app has a fine tool for testing the network connectivity. In my case, with WLAN & bluetooth on i had a lot of spikes (ca. every second), not possible to play any game.

But after i turned off the location service (GPS and WLAN), everything works nearly perfect. The steam link app didn't shows any spikes anymore. And the best: Streaming now working on 2.4G and 5G.

Hope this helps one or the other.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe i found a solution...

Had the same problems with the M5: WLAN (2.4G & 5G) works fine without bluetooth on. But after i turn on bluetooth, all streams had lag spikes. To info: I use my M5 mainly for game streaming (moonlight, steam link app). The steam link app has a fine tool for testing the network connectivity. In my case, with WLAN & bluetooth on i had a lot of spikes (ca. every second), not possible to play any game.

But after i turned off the location service (GPS and WLAN), everything works nearly perfect. The steam link app didn't shows any spikes anymore. And the best: Streaming now working on 2.4G and 5G.

Hope this helps one or the other.
    No problems on my M5 10.8“ with wifi speeds when connect to Bluetooth. My network is 5ghz.

It's not an app problem, it's a hardware issue. I tested it with YouTube and the buffering was constant. Maybe the video you tried has a low bitrate or whatever, make sure you are watching it in HD. Try different videos and you should see.
    I don't own the MediaPad M5, but i have a MediaPad M3, and it does indeed have the same problem. I was wondering about getting an M5, but if it have the same problem, i am a little skeptical.
    Well as WiFi and Bluetooth use the same frequencies there is always an interference between them especially if you have two streams in parallel (downloading the music file and transmitting to the head phones). You could try to use 5GHz for WiFi in that case Bluetooth should not be affected.
    Well as WiFi and Bluetooth use the same frequencies there is always an interference between them especially if you have two streams in parallel (downloading the music file and transmitting to the head phones). You could try to use 5GHz for WiFi in that case Bluetooth should not be affected.

This isn't a minor interference, it makes wifi almost useless. Less than 1 mbps of download speed, latency increases and sometimes it doesn't even work at all. I did this speed test right next to the router while playing a song:

eepv67y.jpg

With bluetooth on it is impossible to stream a video without constantly buffering. I did the same test on my phone and my laptop and both are ok. My router doesn't support 5 GHz, but I read that it doesn't fix the problem for people with the same issue on other devices.

Edit: And don't forget that this tablet doesn't have a 3.5 mm headphone jack (a really stupid decision if you ask me), so it push you to go wireless and this is what you get.........
    Just do one Google search. I have 3 devices. Google nexus 10. Oneplus 3 and the mediapad m5. All have the same problem when using bluetooth devices in various routers in various network providers in various houses. This is a problem that thousands of People have asked all over Internet, in Android in ios in Windows Phone. Im not saying nothing that Comes out of my mind.google it before you call me out.

Ok, I'll give you some numbers.

Huawei M5 playing a song through bluetooth:
    eepv67y.jpg

M5 bluetooth off (I know, my internet connection sucks):
    EiE3BNb.jpg

Nexus 5x playing a song through bluetooth:
    hi7IM8u.png

Nexus 5x bluetooth off:
    2xPy4Wd.png

Can you see the difference??

I know that if a lot of devices are connected at the same frequencies there is going to be interferences and the speed is going to drop (notice the minor hit in the Nexus). But the case with the M5 is not normal, must be a bad design. It makes wifi almost useless. And there are 2 replies that have test it in a 5 GHz wifi and the problem persist.