• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

WiFi strength, range, and throughput

Search This thread

op_raftel

Apr 29, 2021
If it is hardware's issue, there is nothing you can do other than bringing it to service center for repairing.

If you still want to try fixing it with software, you can unlock the bootloader, and then use Mi Flash tool on a computer to flash the fastboot ROM, with the clean all and lock option.
I've tried without locking the bootloader but the problem remains, I can't afford to wait another 7 days to unlock it if it doesn't work. is it necessary to lock the bootloader?

cbw

Dec 31, 2019
Asia
Xiaomi Redmi 4X
Redmi 9 Power
in my poco m3 the wifi and bluetooth suddenly got very weak signal, does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Recently I tried to connect my POCO M3 to my Mi Bluetooth Audio Receiver, and the audio started disconnecting when I was only about 3 meters away from the phone.

Then I tried to use the audio receiver with my old phone, Redmi 4X, it wouldn't disconnect even when I was about 5 meters away.

I tried to re-install the global fastboot ROM on the M3, but it didn't solve the problem, so I brought my phone to the service center today, now I am waiting for it to be repaired.

op_raftel

Apr 29, 2021
Just for the record I'm using the "Redmi 9T" not the "POCO M3" but they are quite similar and have the same issues. I ended up using the custom ROM EvolutionX (android 11) but the problem remained, so I kept updating the firmware (not ROM) each week (the 9T has firmware updates for android 11, can't find one of M3, not sure...) until version "21.7.21". Now the wifi signal is quite acceptable. I'm no longer updating the firmware (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) because the last time I did it (from stock mui 10.0.4->10.0.6) the wifi signal became weak.

lucascerqueira

Jul 21, 2013
São Luís
Just for the record I'm using the "Redmi 9T" not the "POCO M3" but they are quite similar and have the same issues. I ended up using the custom ROM EvolutionX (android 11) but the problem remained, so I kept updating the firmware (not ROM) each week (the 9T has firmware updates for android 11, can't find one of M3, not sure...) until version "21.7.21". Now the wifi signal is quite acceptable. I'm no longer updating the firmware (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) because the last time I did it (from stock mui 10.0.4->10.0.6) the wifi signal became weak.
where can I find my firmware version??

lucascerqueira

Jul 21, 2013
São Luís
you can find all versions for POCO M3 [citrus] at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/firmware-poco-m3-citrus-auto-updated.4250281/ only use one of them if you're on a custom ROM (currently there is only android 10 firmwares), do not it on stock MIUI or MIUI EU, and make sure the bootloader is unlocked.
ahh, your firmware is a chinese version, m3 only have the global and eea versions, all this have this wifi issue, i'll have to wait for an update or install .eu rom

SilentVOEZ

Feb 18, 2015
Laoag City
The WiFi strength is worse for some reason comparing with another phone. Maybe the antenna design is bad and in the software side, it struggles to connect sometimes even the signal is strong.

Sudosftw

Jun 13, 2017
POCO M3
I've had my M3 for about 6 months using it as a secondary device. My daily is a Pixel 3a.

What I've noticed is that while connected to an AC-867 capable access point (in this case, an Apple Airport Extreme 6th generation in bridge mode) on 2.4GHz, the WiFi throughput can only bounce against 50Mbit/s, and off 5GHz, it can only bounce off 300Mbit/s as a cap. I know the radio can do more as the exact same radio is in the Pixel 3a... And I can get upwards of 500Mbit off 5GHz on that. I get the same exact behavior out of a much newer AC access point as well, on a friend's Xfinity modemrouter with an 800Mbit pipe, it'll only allow it to get 360Mbit of that.

What I'm seeing is it's just not negotiating the access points correctly. It'll also choose to connect to the 2.4GHz signal first and never touch 5GHz if both share the same SSID and just stays there, not even getting here inches from the access point.

I implore others in a situation where they have over 500Mbit/s down from the internet to do some speedtest numbers. There's definitely something fishy happening and I'm wondering if the radio's performance is being artificially stunted by the stock ROM or if they implemented it so poorly that it can't pass that much data and thus the slower link speeds... would also love someone with an M3 running a custom ROM to give some numbers too if possible as a sanity check.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If it is hardware's issue, there is nothing you can do other than bringing it to service center for repairing.

If you still want to try fixing it with software, you can unlock the bootloader, and then use Mi Flash tool on a computer to flash the fastboot ROM, with the clean all and lock option.
    the issue begun on miui 12.0.6 update, before on 12.0.4 and 5 wifi/bluetooth was fine with a good reception, somethimes the issue simple goes away and after a week or two goes back with weak wifi/bluetooth, me and some m3 users have this issue with the same way
    I am facing poor wifi reception in Poco M3 ( India). This happened suddenly.