• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

WiFi Trouble(s) ICS & JB: Reconnecting, Dropping, Loosing Connection

Search This thread

bardell3600

Dec 14, 2011
Issaquah, WA
I have used this fix successfully on several different ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.X) and JB (Jelly Bean 4.X.X) tablets to fix intermittent WiFi problems. It is simple and worth a try if you are having difficulties:

Unfortunately you'll need access to the root directory either via ADB or by rooting the device.

There is a file, wpa_suplicant.conf, that contains the WiFi connection instructions for networks that you have previously connected to. Deleting this file and letting the Operating System rebuild fixes a variety of intermittent WiFi issues (not hardware issues like poor signal.)

1. Locate the wpa_suplicant.conf file in data/misc/wifi using ES File Explorer or some other method of your choice
  2. Turn off WiFi (Settings - WiFi)
  3. Rename the file wpa_suplicant.conf.bak or just delete it
  4. Restart the tablet
  5. Turn WiFi back on
  6. Restart the tablet again

bardell3600

Dec 14, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Dropping, Difficulty Connecting

I am going to add to my own post. I found something that fixed the Jelly Bean dropped WiFi issue - the WiFi Connector Library

The JB WiFi problem:
WiFi works fine if you connect to a secured network (WPA, WPA2.) But if you are connecting to an unsecured WiFi network, one with no password protection, it is difficult to connect and once connected the WiFi drops frequently (30 seconds to 1 minute for my N90II RK3066.)​

This is again an easy solution to try. It worked for me:
  • Download and install the free app WiFi Analyzer
  • After the connection has dropped or while still in the difficult to connect phase, launch WiFi Analyzer
  • Use WiFi Analyzer to connect
    • Go to the AP List View (middle button at bottom)
    • Click on the network you want to connect to
    • It will ask to download WiFi Connector Library
    • Select "Yes Please"
    • Play Store will launch
    • Install the library
  • You should be A-OK once the library is installed

It runs as a background service. I can only guess why this works, but after three days of messing with this issue, I think I'll just smile and go on to something else.