[Wiki] Google Andriod for Herald and Tmobile Wing

Search This thread

N3xt2N0N3

Aug 17, 2007
Brooklyn
www.doughboydesigns.com
image12.png

33z36rn.png

This thread was created to make it possible to run and use Android on our devices.

What is Google Android?
Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications.

Androids Architecture
system-architecture.jpg

We need all the help we could get to make this work

Other threads on Google Android
Google Android for Kaiser!!

Linux and Android for Vogue

Other helpful Links
Android on OMAP thanks to mswiss
http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/

Last edited:

N3xt2N0N3

Aug 17, 2007
Brooklyn
www.doughboydesigns.com
This is the version that still has root access to the OS which makes it possible to edited the rom with-in the rom, thats if we get it ported first of course.

Also I dont have the tools right now to take apart the .nbh and rip it apart so if any can please do. The link is below.

DREAIMG.NBH

This popped up a week ago its the Orange France RUU update for the french G1

Could a kitchen be made out of this??

RUU_DREAM
VIA:imfloflo

Last edited:

N3xt2N0N3

Aug 17, 2007
Brooklyn
www.doughboydesigns.com
This thread will remain open for any advancement of android getting ported onto the wing.

PLEASE REPORT ALL ISSUES TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD!!!

Visit darkstar62's thread (click here) for he has really gotten far with ported linux onto the wing.

I've developed a kernel and base linux system suitable for installation on the HTC Herald / T-Mobile Wing series of phones. This image is for installation of a root filesystem directly to an SD storage card (no need for a root FS image). Several things don't work so far -- this is early development. But it's enough to play with. My hope is that we can use development on this as a jumping point for getting Google Android to run on the wing.

UPDATE (2/10/09):
I've added a Resources section to collect the useful information and links that have been posted here and in the other thread. I've also updated the known issues section for Android to reflect what I've discovered so far.

UPDATE (2/9/09):
I've got an updated kernel config and images for starting Android now! Android will now pull up the boot animation and begin startup. It still does not complete startup, but at least we know we've got the right stuff in the kernel now!

I've added instructions at the bottom for installing these and using them with an already set up linux system (per the first set of instructions).

UPDATE (2/7/09):
Here's some extra files you can grab if you're interested in development: (The patches don't apply cleanly yet against the linwizard kernel)

Contents
  • Part 1: Linux Base System Installation Instructions
  • Part 2: Android Installation Instructions
  • Resources

Part 1: Linux Base System Installation Instructions:
The below instructions assume you have access to Linux and can read/write to your SD storage card.

To start out with, here's what you'll need:

1. Repartition your SD card.
For this, you'll need to use something like Partition Magic or some other suitable partitioner (in Linux, you can use gparted to resize your Windows partition.) I recommend the following layout:
Partition 1: Primary, FAT16 or FAT32 containing your original Windows files (any size of your choosing)
Partition 2: Primary, Linux Swap, 128mb
Partition 3: Primary, EXT3, >=64mb
My linux partition is 650mb with a 1.2gb Windows partition and 128mb swap -- adjust to preference.
2. Format the swap and linux partitions.
In linux, run the following: (I assume your SD card is /dev/sdb -- adjust if different)
Code:
# sudo mkswap /dev/sdb2
# sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb3

I'm assuming the layout in step 1 as well.​

3. Mount the new Linux partition.
Run the following:
Code:
# sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt
4. Copy the base linux system into the new Linux partition.
Save the root filesystem .tar.gz file from above to somewhere (I'll assume $HOME). Then run:
Code:
# cd /mnt
# sudo tar -xzvf $HOME/rootfs.tar.gz
# cd ..
5. Unmount the linux partition.
Run the following command:
Code:
# sudo umount /mnt
6. Mount the windows partition and copy the Haret executable + kernel.
I'll again assume you saved the "haret+kernel.zip" file to $HOME. Run the following:
Code:
# sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
# cd /mnt
# mkdir linux
# cd linux
# sudo unzip $HOME/haret+kernel.zip
# cd /
# sudo umount /mnt

At this stage, your Linux base system and kernel should be installed. All that's left is to remove your SD card and re-insert it into your phone, start up HaRET and enjoy.

7. Log in
Once you're booted into Linux, you can log in with:

Username: root
Password: wing​

Plug in a USB cord to log in on your laptop. If your laptop runs linux, you'll need to make sure that the usb0 network interface has the right address:

Code:
# sudo ifconfig usb0 10.100.0.2 up

The phone's address will be 10.100.0.1. You should be able to SSH or telnet in to the phone and mess around. Run "startx" to bring up X and such.

What's Working
  • Minimal X server capable of landscape and portrait video modes (KDrive, using the framebuffer (omapfb))
  • Touch screen support + calibration software (TSC2046 driver + tslib)
  • Console keyboard (some characters are difficult / impossible to type due to the limited key layout and driver)
  • USB gadget support for connecting with my laptop (I can SSH / telnet into the phone, or ssh/telnet from the phone into my laptop)
  • Full access to the SD card (even the Windows FAT side -- mmci-omap driver)

Known Issues
  • Bluetooth -- haven't been able to get a working driver, or anything to even recognize that it exists
  • WLAN -- same as bluetooth
  • GPRS / Phone -- same. There appears to be a GSM device, but I haven't been able to do anything with it.
  • Most of the extra buttons don't fire any events
  • LEDs for the most part don't work
  • Battery and power stats aren't available, as well as power management
  • No control of the backlight or display power
  • Sound not functional -- don't have any drivers / software compiled for sound, so I don't know if this would work or not
  • No real time clock (RTC) functionality

Part 2: Android Installation Instructions:
For these instructions, the recommended procedure is to copy the files you'll need to the Windows side of your SD card and install using the Linux boot system. Make sure you follow the instructions for getting a Linxu base system installed first before following this.

First off, grab the following files (Required)

You can also grab the kernel config file if you're interested in building the kernel (I'll have the android patch set available soon) (Optional):

1. Copy all files to your wing

From Windows Mobile, download the 4 required files above and place them on your storage card:

• root.tar.gz -- Place in /Storage Card/
  • system.tar.gz -- Place in /Storage Card/
  • zImage2 -- Place in /Storage Card/linux (overwrite the file that's already there, or re-name the original first)
  • start_android -- Place in /Storage Card/

2. Install Android

Run HaRET.exe to start Linux. It should boot the new kernel (you most likely won't notice a difference). Once in Linux, run the following commands (you can do it directly with the wing keyboard, or you may elect to use SSH (see instructions above) -- SSH is easer in my opinion):

Code:
# cd ../..
# mkdir android
# cd android
# tar -xzf ../mnt/windows/root.tar.gz
# tar -xzf ../mnt/windows/system.tar.gz
# cp ../mnt/windows/start_android ../bin
# chmod 775 ../bin/start_android

If using the Wing's keyboard, you'll need to use the following key mapping:
  • '/' --> 'Tab'
  • '-' --> 'Alt + x'
  • '_' --> 'Alt + c' (I think -- it's Alt + one of the letter keys)
  • Numbers -> 'Alt + <top row>'

3. Start Android
At this point, android is now installed and ready to run. Simply execute the following command to start Android:

Code:
# start_android

After a few seconds, you should see the Android startup animation appear.
Known Issues
  • The omapfb driver currently in use does not support page flipping, preventing the Android GUI from being displayed

Resources
Enjoy

Thanks

EDIT: Added darkstar62's most current update (2/10/09)
EDIT: Added Wing Linux 0.3 pre3 instructions. Thanks to darkstar62

Last edited:

N3xt2N0N3

Aug 17, 2007
Brooklyn
www.doughboydesigns.com
Current Status

• Bluetooth -- haven't been able to get a working driver, or anything to even recognize that it exists
  • WLAN -- same as bluetooth
  • GPRS / Phone -- same. There appears to be a GSM device, but I haven't been able to do anything with it.
  • Most of the extra buttons don't fire any events
  • LEDs for the most part don't work
  • Battery and power stats aren't available, as well as power management
  • No control of the backlight or display power
  • Sound not functional -- don't have any drivers / software compiled for sound, so I don't know if this would work or not
  • No real time clock (RTC) functionality

Can anyone take photos of these stages.

I would love to post them here.

Thanks

Last edited:

papamopps

Retired Moderator
Mar 16, 2006
Cologne
Good idea. Wondered when someone will come up with it....BUT the main problem will be to port the GSM over...think until now they didn´t succede - did they?

Good luck

papamopps

Retired Moderator
Mar 16, 2006
Cologne
BUT another thing that i don´t understand...correct me...

WE can only run Android like a VM on a PC.

First XDA boots WM6 and then starts an image from android...so it is more like an application running under WM??

And will there be a time where we can delete WM???

thx

fzzyrn

Aug 19, 2007
Houston
we can delete WM when we have a full set of drivers for android

And linux- i've never understood people's compulsion for linux. Sure it's opensource and therefore free, but that does not automatically make it better.

N3xt2N0N3

Aug 17, 2007
Brooklyn
www.doughboydesigns.com
Good idea. Wondered when someone will come up with it....BUT the main problem will be to port the GSM over...think until now they didn´t succede - did they?

Good luck

yeah i think its in that stage for now but imagine if we could make a very Clean rom and cook android into it and make it start at startup we could have it running and a decent speed

fzzyrn

Aug 19, 2007
Houston
I think we can have android running as soon as we complete the "linux kernel" part of the dev roadmap along with the runtime. At this point, android would be "running" but not functioning

fzzyrn

Aug 19, 2007
Houston
you would probably need a coder. I haven't read much about android, but you could probably port over WM6 drivers (depending on programming language?)

bodyman

May 5, 2008
you would probably need a coder. I haven't read much about android, but you could probably port over WM6 drivers (depending on programming language?)

I don't think that that will work. I think that you need to start with the basic linux drivers and see if you can port them to mobile.

And yes, you would need a coder for that. And sorry to say, that isn't me. But, it t-mobile gets the diamond/whatever they're going to call it, I think that I will be first in line.

slimag

Aug 4, 2006
WM6 are hardly running on our 200 MHz OMAPs and you want to put another OS on top of it? Laughing out loud.

are you serious? hardly running? its sometimes (quite often to be honest) faster than qualcomm 400mhz... (most of users are still believers of MHZ GOD... ).

fzzyrn

Aug 19, 2007
Houston
these days, frequency doesn't matter as much as FSB does!

But anyway, you would definitely have to write your own drivers, which makes android porting more the responsibility of the manufacturer than of the end user