Question Will 10T be a good device for custom roms?

Search This thread

EdgardoSchiffer

Oct 15, 2013
OnePlus 9
Xiaomi 12T Pro
Hey guys, the new OP 10T has nice specs for it's price and it makes me think about changing my OP9.
Since this phone it's more an Oppo phone it doesn't seems to be a good phone for development and ColorOS it's not a good software, without some third party roms I don't think I could live with this device.

What do you think about 10T for modding / custom rom development for this phone? Would it be worth to make the upgrade for this phone?

Toasterfork

Jul 31, 2016
Its likely rom support will be poor if its anything like the Oneplus 10 pro, which is only starting to get inklings of LOS support 8+ months after release.

Reactions: galaxys

gonetask

Jul 27, 2022
Oppo played a dirty trick with customers by introducing MSM Download Tool with Authentication for technician with Username & Password, now its no longer free, MSM DL Tool is both used to Flash Firmware on EDL on OnePlus & Realme Devices, now these devices are easier to brick without MSM.

So expect no development for the device only assured updates from OnePlus.

Th3be4st

Sep 17, 2016
I'm coming from a OnePlus 3T that had a plenty roms and modifications. I was thinking to buy this phone hoping for the same support. Is there no hope at all? I saw that the kernel sources were released for the 10 pro, is the only problem the msm tool?

Grovez

Aug 29, 2022
I'm coming from a OnePlus 3T that had a plenty roms and modifications. I was thinking to buy this phone hoping for the same support. Is there no hope at all? I saw that the kernel sources were released for the 10 pro, is the only problem the msm tool?
Having a working MSM tool is not a requirement, but having a reliable way to recover from bricks will give devs more confidence to mess around.

Oneplus haven't released the kernel source for the 10T yet. Don't expect anything before that comes out.

I'll personally attempt to get a complete TWRP port working once mine arrives. If that goes well, I might also tackle a LineageOS port. No promises or guarantees, just letting you know that not all hope is lost. Don't expect a thriving scene like the older oneplus devices though.

Th3be4st

Sep 17, 2016
Having a working MSM tool is not a requirement, but having a reliable way to recover from bricks will give devs more confidence to mess around.

Oneplus haven't released the kernel source for the 10T yet. Don't expect anything before that comes out.

I'll personally attempt to get a complete TWRP port working once mine arrives. If that goes well, I might also tackle a LineageOS port. No promises or guarantees, just letting you know that not all hope is lost. Don't expect a thriving scene like the older oneplus devices though.
Well, knowing that there is already someone who will work on a twrp port is good news. Having a fully functional twrp will surely make more devs interested in working on it. I don't expect the same support of the 3t, but my other options were buying a Realme phone or a Xiaomi phone and i think that these phones have even less devs support.

I don't know much about new phones, but aren't there GSIs now? How do they perform? Will it be possible to install them on the 10t?

Thanks in advance and good luck with the twrp port!

gonetask

Jul 27, 2022
Well, knowing that there is already someone who will work on a twrp port is good news. Having a fully functional twrp will surely make more devs interested in working on it. I don't expect the same support of the 3t, but my other options were buying a Realme phone or a Xiaomi phone and i think that these phones have even less devs support.

I don't know much about new phones, but aren't there GSIs now? How do they perform? Will it be possible to install them on the 10t?

Thanks in advance and good luck with the twrp port!
Xiaomi, Redmi and Poco devices are heaven for development. Oneplus development will be dead in future as more customers shift to Nothing Phone and Xiaomi for development. Nothing Phone 1 is the new OnePlus. so for development look for other phones

EtherealRemnant

Xiaomi, Redmi and Poco devices are heaven for development. Oneplus development will be dead in future as more customers shift to Nothing Phone and Xiaomi for development. Nothing Phone 1 is the new OnePlus. so for development look for other phones
I wish any of those were in the US market... My choices for development are basically OnePlus or Pixel and the modem in the Pixel is an automatic nope for me.

Reactions: prozack1983

gonetask

Jul 27, 2022
I wish any of those were in the US market... My choices for development are basically OnePlus or Pixel and the modem in the Pixel is an automatic nope for me.
Asus Zenfone 9 might be a good option for you, check out the specs 8+Gen 1 and ASUS has good development in past for Zenfone devices, check MKBHD review for the device. You wont be disappointed, perfect replacement for Pixel. However, no device can match the development of Xiaomi devices.

EtherealRemnant

Asus Zenfone 9 might be a good option for you, check out the specs 8+Gen 1 and ASUS has good development in past for Zenfone devices, check MKBHD review for the device. You wont be disappointed, perfect replacement for Pixel. However, no device can match the development of Xiaomi devices.
The problem with the Zenfone is that there are so many complaints about ASUS phones up and dying and support doing nothing for it. Also, AT&T may or may not whitelist it and the screen is too small for me so it would need to be a ROG Phone 6 version A. But maybe.

EtherealRemnant

You can download them but unless something very recently changed, they will not flash without a login from a tech.

Edit: in fact, on that very page...

Screenshot_20230125-144116.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not unless someone figures out how to crack the new MSM Tool. The MSM Tool for the 10 Pro requires a technician to log in so it isn't possible to restore the device after a brick currently. That's obviously a big impediment to custom ROM development as OnePlus devices are easier to brick than many others.

Oppo played a dirty trick with customers by introducing MSM Download Tool with Authentication for technician with Username & Password, now its no longer free, MSM DL Tool is both used to Flash Firmware on EDL on OnePlus & Realme Devices, now these devices are easier to brick without MSM.

So expect no development for the device only assured updates from OnePlus.
    Its likely rom support will be poor if its anything like the Oneplus 10 pro, which is only starting to get inklings of LOS support 8+ months after release.