• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

Will android ever have another phone released that lives up to the hype like the G1

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
It seems ever since the first generation of android devices a multitude of phones have been overhyped and just havent delivered. The G1 was a pinnacle of android masterpiece even with its clunky form and poor build quality it was what android phones should be. It was updated when it could be and if not it was easy to update for devs. It didn't have some terrible skin on it, it felt solid enough, and it worked in every way necessary. I mean the nexus one was the same, it was just a good phone. Ever since things have just been over-hyped and generally not worth it. The original droid was pretty terrible by comparison to the original android phone and yet they publicized it to be something amazing because of the sleek look... dont think most of us care too much about the look of our phone or we'd all be like those iphone wielding tools. This same mediocrity has come into play over and over again straight up to the galaxy S series... what are the odds that garbage is ever really going to get updated without XDA as long as samsung has any say over it? That lag also left a bad taste in most peoples mouths and the fact that the sequel to the amazing nexus one is a glorified galaxy S with a front facing camera and flash is just like taking a dump on the nexus line. There have been a few decent devices along the way mostly from HTC but in all actuality the only enjoyable andoid experience I had post G1 was on an HD2. This is not an android bashing thread just a real question and dedz to the G1... Lost but not forgotten.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
Nah, I'm happy with my WP7 devices. Would just like to have a decent android device on the side and when I heard they were making another nexus I got excited.... then I saw the S

TheiPhoneKiller

Dec 12, 2010
there was a bit of hype when the desire came out.i think the HD2 is to be honest and thats not suppose to be an android but its deffinently a fun phone to play with,its got eveyone hyped up on here most deffinently,its turning into the must have tweakable phone.It terms of native android devices,we shall have to see what this year brings

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
Not a troll post by any means. I beg you to give me another phone that lived up as well out of the box. The HD2 did but I dont think it was quite as hyped til XDA took hold of it.

A

AdrianK

It seems ever since the first generation of android devices a multitude of phones have been overhyped and just havent delivered. The G1 was a pinnacle of android masterpiece even with its clunky form and poor build quality it was what android phones should be. It was updated when it could be and if not it was easy to update for devs. It didn't have some terrible skin on it, it felt solid enough, and it worked in every way necessary. I mean the nexus one was the same, it was just a good phone. Ever since things have just been over-hyped and generally not worth it. The original droid was pretty terrible by comparison to the original android phone and yet they publicized it to be something amazing because of the sleek look... dont think most of us care too much about the look of our phone or we'd all be like those iphone wielding tools. This same mediocrity has come into play over and over again straight up to the galaxy S series... what are the odds that garbage is ever really going to get updated without XDA as long as samsung has any say over it? That lag also left a bad taste in most peoples mouths and the fact that the sequel to the amazing nexus one is a glorified galaxy S with a front facing camera and flash is just like taking a dump on the nexus line. There have been a few decent devices along the way mostly from HTC but in all actuality the only enjoyable andoid experience I had post G1 was on an HD2. This is not an android bashing thread just a real question and dedz to the G1... Lost but not forgotten.
You have a valid point, but just like the first iPhone, the G1 did have it's flaws, but it was a success because it was the only device for Android. As you rightly said, the Nexus One was the next major step, I'd consider the G2 to be an incrimental step up, but I think the next wave of devices to truly impress will be wielding dual core CPUs, because as of now we're just getting the same internals in different casings. As of now all the other specs have been sufficiently maxed-out (1GHz CPUs, 8mp cameras w/ flash, 576-768mb RAM), so I think an influx of DC Snapdragons and Tegra 2s will shake things up a bit.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
You have a valid point, but just like the first iPhone, the G1 did have it's flaws, but it was a success because it was the only device for Android. As you rightly said, the Nexus One was the next major step, I'd consider the G2 to be an incrimental step up, but I think the next wave of devices to truly impress will be wielding dual core CPUs, because as of now we're just getting the same internals in different casings. As of now all the other specs have been sufficiently maxed-out (1GHz CPUs, 8mp cameras w/ flash, 576-768mb RAM), so I think an influx of DC Snapdragons and Tegra 2s will shake things up a bit.
I dont really think the processors going to make that huge a difference. These phones still have not released anything new and amazing like they did then... They have yet to make another keyboard that could compare to the G1 and thats just sad considering the amount of praise it received. The G2 was nice but the Z hinge was bad and the fact that without overclocking the processor was smaller (though overclocked it was epic) was kinda lame. I dont think tegra 2s are going to make as big a difference as everyone thought if it's the same phones with a nicer processor. What ever happened to that phone with the projector built in? Thats a development...

rajasyaitan

May 18, 2010
No there won't. The first one will be the most hyped about regardless of the outcome. Why? It is the first of its kind! It applies to everything, first electric car, first 3D television, first motion-controlled games. So now manufacturers can only make the best phones that they can and still it won't have the same hype as it's granfather.

timur525

Oct 13, 2010
Isnt honeycomb supossed to be game changing? If you get a dual core phone running 3.0 maybe a gig of ram and you honestly say there Isnt a noticeable you might as well place a sticker saying 'troll' right on your forehead and/or asscheaks...

Word.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
Isnt honeycomb supossed to be game changing? If you get a dual core phone running 3.0 maybe a gig of ram and you honestly say there Isnt a noticeable you might as well place a sticker saying 'troll' right on your forehead and/or asscheaks...

Word.

please do learn your stuff before attempting to insult. 3.0 is a tablet os. Cheeks is spelled cheeks and yeah, not trolling, just a bunch of overhyped phones as of late

timur525

Oct 13, 2010
Troll.
You didn't capitalize a few letters where necessary. Also, you forgot your punctuation.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
So the Droid, the Hero, the Evo, the Galaxy S, the G2, the MT4g, and hell even the HD2 didn't have any hype? My sales when I worked at Radio shack tend to disagree with that.(Aside the droid)

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
So the Droid, the Hero, the Evo, the Galaxy S, the G2, the MT4g, and hell even the HD2 didn't have any hype? My sales when I worked at Radio shack tend to disagree with that.(Aside the droid)
They got the hype, aside from the HD2 though none of em lived up to it. That of course isnt android native.

vbetts

Jun 21, 2010
Toledo Ohio
They got the hype, aside from the HD2 though none of em lived up to it. That of course isnt android native.
Aside from the G1, the Droid is probably one of the factors that made Android what it is today. The Hero won awards left and right. The Galaxy S has had its share of problems, but considering there are so many variations of it out there, I'd say it lived up to it's hype and more. The Evo lived up to it's hype as one of the biggest selling devices for Sprint! It passed the record sales in the first week than the Palm Pre, their second biggest sales record in a week! Sprint kind of overestimated when they released their sales numbers, but it was still so much that they ran out of stock quickly everywhere. The MT4g is still growing! Look at the Desire! The Desire like the Hero received awards like phone of the year! G1 didn't. G1 was a hit with developers, and the homebrew community. As is almost every HTC phone is too.

Should also mention, in the T3 tech awards the HTC Desire also beat the Iphone 4, which the Iphone 4 and all the Iphone series is easily way over hyped compared to what the G1 was.

Last edited: