• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Will google ever fix the camera app? :/

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Why is it so hard for google to fix the camera app and the camera quality issues that plague android? I was expecting them to fix it with the 5.1 update , but no luck, if you ask apple fans why they think the iphone is superior , the only thing they have going for them is camera quality. All I'm asking is that they reduce the time it takes to take a HDR+ picture , because without HDR+ the nexus 6 camera is kinda meh, implement an auto HDR+ mode, let us actually use burst mode, timelapse, that's pretty much it.... I don't want to install 3 different camera apps to get features that should be stock ...

Last edited:

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
Why is it so hard for google to fix the camera app and the camera quality issues that plague android? I was expecting them to fix it with the 5.1 update , but no luck, if you ask apple fans why they think the iphone is superior , the only thing they have going for them is camera quality. All I'm asking is that they reduce the time it takes to take a HDR+ picture , because without HDR+ the nexus 6 camera is kinda meh, implement an auto HDR+ mode, let us actually use burst mode, timelapse, that's pretty much it.... I don't want to install 3 different camera apps to get features that should be stock ...

Totally agree, nexus 6 is finally a google phone with a good sensor and lens, and they ruin it with a camera app stuck in 2012.
Things missing:

- 60 fps video
- auto HDR
- HDR Video
- burst mode
- slow motion
- manual settings for ISO and shutter speed
- touch focus & manual focus during videos
- stutter free zoom
- stereo sound recording

DebianDog

Dec 4, 2010
I hear you I'm not very pleased with the situation either. I did download a program just for burst mode (Perfectly Clear) something that was standard on my galaxy S3 2 + years ago. The focus hunting in video mode is infuriating also.

I also agree about the iPhone. I was looking through my friend's new iPhone 6 and was playing with apps and camera like lame, lame, lame, wow this camera app is nice and slow mo!

Sent from my Nexus 6

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
I want a quick picture may use the camera app.
I do not have the time or care enough about taking pictures to learn what half the terms mean.

Take a picture, capture a moment .... looks good enough to me.
Really if they had Auto HDR .... whatever that is I can not see me using it.

Just go with the defaults.
If anything I never go for the highest resolution do not want to fill my internal memory or cloud storage with pictures.

Now I read many threads where people that want to take professional looking pictures just buy a third party app, think Camera 2 was recommended.
The iPhone Camera app maybe better but with Android you are free to try other apps.

DebianDog

Dec 4, 2010
The problem is the 3rd party apps suck at doing it (HDR, Burst, etc) and some excel at one thing so you end up having 4 camera apps that don't do what the iPhone camera does pretty well in one app. It is not like you can't run other camera apps on your iPhone either!

Don't be an Android fanboi/apologist please. Good grief!

I don't think its being an android fanboy or apologist to say a person has a differing opinion than yours. I use HDR on my N6 ALL THE TIME.

Quality is fine for me. I'm not looking to become some great camera phone photographer. I just want to capture a quick moment. I've used quite a few camera apps and, in the end, I find it doesn't matter to me. It all looks good to me.

Point, shoot, upload... MAYBE stream through Chromecast for family. You prefer a better camera set of functions, others, including myself, think the camera is just fine because it fits what we do with our cameras.

It not like anyone is slinging mud at you and telling you to go get an iPhone.. Don't be that guy that throws mud because someone has a differing opinion than you.

Reactions: fireishott

DebianDog

Dec 4, 2010
So just to be clear... your opinion is the camera app is "good enough" and we all should be fine with that? Oh well then O.K. No reason to improve it then. What's next?

Edit: YOU HAVE A NOTE 4??? Get the f*** out of here you are not using Google camera!!! If I had a Note 4 I would not be complaining either! It arguably takes better pictures than the iPhone :good:

Last edited:

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
So just to be clear... your opinion is the camera app is "good enough" and we all should be fine with that? Oh well then O.K. No reason to improve it then. What's next?

Edit: YOU HAVE A NOTE 4??? Get the f*** out of here you are not using Google camera!!!

u do realize u can download the google camera from the play store right? Also its just a phone with a camera. you want quality pics buy a real camera. Gotta love the complainers over something very small. There is nothing wrong with the camera. Get real. Jeez

Reactions: z0phi3l

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
Auto HDR would also help people who don't want to spend time learning to take pictures.
I think we need an easy to use and fast camera app, which also adds options for those who want to get the best out of the camera. The new Lumia Camera 5 is doing this pretty good i think.

DebianDog

Dec 4, 2010
Title of thread: Will google ever fix the camera app

People agree it sucks. It runs from acceptable to horrendous. We are labeled complainers? Why is it so much to ask that Google has a "good" camera by default then if I want manual controls or other features I use another app?

Yes, if I want to take a lot of good pictures I will break out my DSLR but functionally my Galaxy S3 was better than what came in my Nexus 6. :eek:

Reactions: Rhievaldo

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
Title of thread: Will google ever fix the camera app

People agree it sucks. It runs from acceptable to horrendous. We are labeled complainers? Why is it so much to ask that Google has a "good" camera by default then if I want manual controls or other features I use another app?

Yes, if I want to take a lot of good pictures I will break out my DSLR but functionally my Galaxy S3 was better than what came in my Nexus 6. :eek:

Its very simple to them having a acceptable os running would be far more important than any apks. You cant sit there and tell me u rather have a good camera over the os. If so thats a stupid thought. A camera app can be fixed very easily by downloading another from the playstore. So again this small issue that people are having with the google camera is what it is A SMALL ISSUE.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Not quite sure i agree with all the people saying " you can just download another app " ?? you can't

Not if you want 120fps slow motion
or 60fps.

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
Thanks for that massive list of camera apps... none of which give 60fps or 120fps slow motion?

its a phone are u serious? if your looking for a camera with a phone then go to windows

The nexus 6 is a phone with a camera. Besides even in your post u stated u cant download another app. Right there proves u wrong.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
its a phone are u serious? if your looking for a camera with a phone then go to windows

The nexus 6 is a phone with a camera. Besides even in your post u stated u cant download another app. Right there proves u wrong.

Lol ok, you need to take the fanboy hat off. Firstly i've had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S , love them, but the camera app is just poor and lacking features.

Oh and go back and read my post again, i said ... not if you want 60fps or 120fps slow motion. ( which btw the OnePlus One can do with the same sensor!) .. get off your high horse

"its a phone are u serious? if your looking for a camera with a phone then go to windows"
This is beyond stupid, how many Android phones out there have MUCH better camera apps than Nexus branded devices ???? ?nearly all of them

The fanboy in you is shocking.

Last edited:

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean
Lol ok, you need to take the fanboy hat off. Firstly i've had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S , love them, but the camera app is just poor and lacking features.

Oh and go back and read my post again, i said ... not if you want 60fps or 120fps slow motion... get off your high horse .

Far from a fan boy. Just getting ridiculous with people complaining about a non issue. How is the camera lacking features when it was provided just recently? the google camera is new back in april 2014. So no sure what u mean by poor and lacking features. If thats the case then the google now launcher and is poor and lacking features. Do some research fanboy

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Far from a fan boy. Just getting ridiculous with people complaining about a non issue. How is the camera lacking features when it was provided just recently? the google camera is new back in april 2014. So no sure what u mean by poor and lacking features. If thats the case then the google now launcher and is poor and lacking features. Do some research fanboy

Lol you're making yourself look ridiculous.

So apparently because it was given to us in April 2014 means its perfect? LOL
HTC, Samsung , Sony, OnePlus ( Oneplus btw has the same damn sensor so its 100% capable ) ... All of their Android devices offer :

60-fps
Slow motion
HDR in video
better autofocus while recording video

The list is actually pretty long from whats lacking on the Nexus camera app, sorry but if you can't see that , you're straight up blind, either physically or mentally

Last edited:

the_rooter

Aug 3, 2014
Olean

HTC, Samsung , Sony, OnePlus ... All of their Android devices offer :

60-fps
Slow motion
HDR in video

The list is actually pretty long from whats lacking on the Nexus camera app, sorry but if you can't see that , there's no point in taking to you.

your the one complaining about a non issue. google makes apps/os as simple as possible. Again research before u continue to complain about a non issue. Your a joke dude thinking that google left out features. there is a reason why. Simplicity.

Have a great day :)

Ps. Never said its perfect, but its not bad as most people state it is. I rather have simplicity over a camera with features I wont use.

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
your the one complaining about a non issue. google makes apps/os as simple as possible. Again research before u continue to complain about a non issue. Your a joke dude thinking that google left out features. there is a reason why. Simplicity.

Have a great day :)

Ps. Never said its perfect, but its not bad as most people state it is. I rather have simplicity over a camera with features I wont use.

LOL , cheers, needed that laugh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Oh and go back and read my post again, i said ... not if you want 60fps or 120fps slow motion. ( which btw the OnePlus One can do with the same sensor!) .. get off your high horse

"its a phone are u serious? if your looking for a camera with a phone then go to windows"
    This is beyond stupid, how many Android phones out there have MUCH better camera apps than Nexus branded devices ???? ?nearly all of them

The fanboy in you is shocking.

Totally agree, nexus 6 is finally a google phone with a good sensor and lens, and they ruin it with a camera app stuck in 2012.
    Things missing:

- 60 fps video
    - auto HDR
    - HDR Video
    - burst mode
    - slow motion
    - manual settings for ISO and shutter speed
    - touch focus & manual focus during videos
    - stutter free zoom
    - stereo sound recording
    camera issues - all fixable with software

Under certain, very narrow circumstances the stock camera and app take a decent still picture.

HDR+ is requisite. Strong but indirect light is also necessary or issues will crop up.

I would rate it (MY OPINION) to be B+ to A- if those two conditions are met. In other words, pretty damn good.

Else it fails miserably as an easy to use camera - expected on a phone. No illusions about it being a pro device. Point and shoot.

I reject the simplistic strawman argument "it's not the camera it's the photographer". This is truly the voice of a lay photographer and a condescending one as well. A proper automatic camera should produce good to very good images most of the time, not just when conditions are ideal.

The video camera is a complete disaster.

Exposure compensation is primitive. Signal to noise is borderline bad.

The test to demonstrate the almost complete absence of CLEAN exposure compensation is easily replicated:

Place someone in front of a single color wall (or a sky) with the source of light behind you. You know, like you were doing a simple video shoot.. Slowly pan up and down and observe the camera adjust exposure , this is referred to as stair-stepping, and blinks as it adjusts.

A video camera makes these transitions smoothly in all but the most extreme circumstances. The iPhone, for example, is like butter with these transitions of bright/contrast. The human eye is also smooth. The N6 is abrupt, choppy and - for video - useless.

The third party video apps allow you to "lock exposure" which is fine for an interview or an otherwise fixed exposure setting. But no one shoots video like that because as soon as ANY movement happens, the scene is over or under-exposed.

What frustrates me is these issues are not rooted with the hardware. They are the video codec and processing. The APIs allow for access to raw .DNG files for stills (which is cool) but the developers have no access to the core processing math for the video. The APIs are hooks to features, not the chewy center.

As noted by others, if Google gave two hoots about this they could fix it.

My $0.02. And, in case you ask, I shoot professional video all the time. I harbor no illusions about what this N6 should be capable of delivering. I also am fine if you think it works to your satisfaction. But do not represent yourself as an expert because you shot indoor photos and used them in a publication because that is a specious argument about the overall quality of the device as a camera.
    Google will seemingly never fix the camera, since the Nexus S its been bad.

To think that they have worked with Samsung / LG / Motorola and HTC ! They never have mentioned anything about a serious camera software update, all those companies have way way better camera software ! With all their money and research they still can't make a half decent camera app. . . . . . its utterly ridiculous ! They can send internet across 3rd world countries / build a self driving car / build a modular smartphone but camera app is totally out their reach !

I'll eat my own nipple hair if the camera app is deemed up to scratch with other OEM's buy then end of 2015 !

HTC, Samsung , Sony, OnePlus ( Oneplus btw has the same damn sensor so its 100% capable ) ... All of their Android devices offer :

60-fps
    Slow motion
    HDR in video

The list is actually pretty long from whats lacking on the Nexus camera app, sorry but if you can't see that , you're straight up blind, either physically or mentally