• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Will OTA update wipe data?

Search This thread

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi All

I flashed EU rom and have just got an OTA update of around 4GB. Rather than install automatically, it just downloaded the zip and rebooted into TWRP.

I'm happy to install it using this method by wiping caches and using TWRP install, but would the TWRP method wipe my data so I need to back up?

Sorry for the dumb question lol.

Cheers

Steve

Sathelp

Nov 27, 2007
Brean, Somerset
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hi All

I flashed EU rom and have just got an OTA update of around 4GB. Rather than install automatically, it just downloaded the zip and rebooted into TWRP.

I'm happy to install it using this method by wiping caches and using TWRP install, but would the TWRP method wipe my data so I need to back up?

Cheers

Steve
No it won't format. Just install ROM, wipe dalvik cache ( as presented to you after flash), then reboot system.

Reactions: picitup

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
All critical data should always be backed up redundantly. Otherwise you will lose data, sooner or latter.
Android crashes are very rare but can happen with little or no warning especially if you're mucking directly with the OS. That lockout is one reason stock Androids are so impervious to crashes.

picitup

Jan 9, 2011
Deal
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Well that didn't take long! It's updated like a dream, with all my data intact.

I had a bit of fun finding the zip, as it wasn't in downloads as I expected. File Explorer showed as being in / in MIUI which of course, is /sdcard/ in TWRP. Anyway, zip loaded, flashed and now I know how to do it for the next update!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

jim262

Jul 17, 2015
Hi All

Cheers

Steve
NO, the data is only wiped when your internal storage has to be formated, like going from the stable to the weekly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All

Cheers

Steve
    No it won't format. Just install ROM, wipe dalvik cache ( as presented to you after flash), then reboot system.
    Hi @Sathelp

Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a bash and report back.

Cheers

Steve
    Well that didn't take long! It's updated like a dream, with all my data intact.

I had a bit of fun finding the zip, as it wasn't in downloads as I expected. File Explorer showed as being in / in MIUI which of course, is /sdcard/ in TWRP. Anyway, zip loaded, flashed and now I know how to do it for the next update!

Cheers

Steve